The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How Do You Use Harness on Cars with Airbags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
As I continue to track my car at some point (sooner than later) I'll be adding a Watson 4pt bar and some type of harnesses for track use. My car will continue to be used on the street and I understand that some vehicles airbag deployment is different if the system believes 3 point belts are not being used. How is this addressed with our cars?

I was also wondering what people with GT350/R's do regarding airbags (disable, leave as is) when tracking a car with a roll bar, fixed back seat, 6-pt harness and HANS? Steering wheel and curtain airbags are not going to improve safety beyond the race seat, harness and HANS but could negatively affect vehicle egress. Can the airbags on the GT350/R be disabled without affecting anything else like drive mode functions?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
To save money in the case of a minor accident disable all the air bags but unplugging them. They are not much use if you are harnessed and HANS’d. If they do go off the cost is astronomical to replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I continue to track my car at some point (sooner than later) I'll be adding a Watson 4pt bar and some type of harnesses for track use. My car will continue to be used on the street and I understand that some vehicles airbag deployment is different if the system believes 3 point belts are not being used. How is this addressed with our cars?
If you are keeping the stock seat run the plug in Schroth belts. This will allow the air bags to function as you are belted in, which is a less severe event. You should disable them/remove from the car as soon as a race seat goes in. They are designed to go off at full strength if they do not see the seat belt being used. This also saves on replacement costs if you ever decide to de-track the car and return it to stock.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
If you are keeping the stock seat run the plug in Schroth belts. This will allow the air bags to function as you are belted in, which is a less severe event. You should disable them/remove from the car as soon as a race seat goes in. They are designed to go off at full strength if they do not see the seat belt being used. This also saves on replacement costs if you ever decide to de-track the car and return it to stock.

Thanks! I'll need to check see if there is a Schroth system that works with factory belt that also attaches to rear bar instead of rear seat belt mounts. That would be the preferred way to go for me. I know its just ascetics but, I'd rather keep the amount of cutting in the factory R seat delete to a minimum.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
If you ever want to take a trip North to NJMP, they do not allow use of 4-point harnesses. NJ state law specifically prohibits them for competitive racing. The fractured language in the regs doese seem to allow them for HPDE but NJMP itself has decided not to allow them for anything.

I will sonn be joining the GT350 ranks and will be installing a 4-pt bar, race seats, and harnesses. Excuse my ignorance, but not totally clear on this. IS there a way to deactivate/diasable the airbags? Just a matter of pulling a fuses(s)?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I will sonn be joining the GT350 ranks and will be installing a 4-pt bar, race seats, and harnesses. Excuse my ignorance, but not totally clear on this. IS there a way to deactivate/diasable the airbags? Just a matter of pulling a fuses(s)?

I'm about to head down this road too, does anyone have the answer to this question? How do you disable the airbags? Is it as simple as pulling a fuse? If so, which one?

I am going to sell my Recaro seats, so not worried about those ones, but how many other airbags are there? I am guessing 1 curtain bag in the roof on each side, one in the steering wheel and one in the dash passenger side somewhere? Anything else?

I would assume there will be a lot of new yellow dash lights, but will the absence of plugged in airbags cause any other electronic issues?

@JDee @mav1c Disabling the front impact air bags (total of 3, Steering wheel, Driver knee and passenger in glove box door) is easy, just remove the connectors both sides under the hood from the impact sensors -- see below.
image.jpg
Side curtains are more difficult as the sensors are behind the B pillar trim. That said, the side curtains are less problematic for egress and would likely help in the absence of a halo seat and window nets. They are also less likely to trigger in a minor or longitudinal impact.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Awesome BB! Just went out and had a look, passenger side is bog simple, driver's side is mounted vertical on my car and a little difficult to get but still doable with a long enough finger or with a short screwdriver for those with shorter digits.
Good info on the side curtains units as well. Probably will do well enough to leave them alone. Cannot thank you enough for this info, one less thing to ruin my sleep!

TMO Supporting Vendors