The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

how far to wear down a P-zero slick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So for the guys running P-zero take-off slicks, how far are you running them down before you decide they are junk? Until the wear indicator holes are gone? Down to cords? Mine are getting down to 2/32 on the outer edges and 3/32 in the center. I have new P-zeros and the wear holes are 4/32 deep on my depth gauge. Seems like my current tires should last another couple track days as they still have grip. Thoughts?

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
06mach1 said:
So for the guys running P-zero take-off slicks, how far are you running them down before you decide they are junk? Until the wear indicator holes are gone? Down to cords? Mine are getting down to 2/32 on the outer edges and 3/32 in the center. I have new P-zeros and the wear holes are 4/32 deep on my depth gauge. Seems like my current tires should last another couple track days as they still have grip. Thoughts?

Mine always corded before the grip was gone

palsmith said:
What pressures do you run?

I run 34 lbs. hot in my 305/660 18's. I head to Mosport for labor day weekend and was hoping my tires will last for both days. Sounds like they should last the weekend with what is left on them.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
You might reconsider if its worth getting a few more laps running them down to the Cord to get your money's worth out of them, when you're going down that straight stretch, braking hard into the corner only out find out maybe you should have quit LAST lap, as off track you go ... :eek:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I've always worn mine down to the cord and had no issues. They are also my favorite tire though they are significantly more narrow than a traditional 305.

I head to Mosport for labor day weekend and was hoping my tires will last for both days. Sounds like they should last the weekend with what is left on them.

You'll love Mosport, AWESOME track, but it has a reputation for being hard on tires. Just keep an eye on them. On the plus side it is very easy on brakes, especially compared to the Glen.

Have fun, wish I could go up there with you.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
06mach1 said:
I run 34 lbs. hot in my 305/660 18's. I head to Mosport for labor day weekend and was hoping my tires will last for both days. Sounds like they should last the weekend with what is left on them.

Get the next set of tires and bring them with you. Worst case you can take a drive and find somebody to mount them if the slicks cord faster than you expect.

I've heat cycled a couple of sets out, but otherwise once I start to see cord on the edges. They don't cord as fast as other DOT R-comps because they seem to keep their shape better under cornering.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I blistered a right front Pirelli DH at Road America that had the following history:
Watkins Glen May 17-4 sessions-115 miles as a left front
VIR May 23 4 sessions-125 miles as a right front
Mid Ohio- May 25-26 8 sessions 218 miles as a right front
Road America August 22-23 6 sessions, 122 miles as a left front, 118 miles as a right front.
Total 698 miles on track, set personal bests at VIR, WG and RA on these. They were on average 3 seconds a lap quicker than comparably cycled Continental 305 GTI tires at RA.
Well worth the $100/ tire I paid for them.
Steve

The Pirelli DH's are amazing tires. After hearing from everyone I feel pretty confident that the tires I am going to run at Mosport should last the entire weekend (knock on wood!). I will take a couple spare tires with me but chances of getting it changed on a weekend might be slim to none!

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
06mach1 said:
The Pirelli DH's are amazing tires. After hearing from everyone I feel pretty confident that the tires I am going to run at Mosport should last the entire weekend (knock on wood!). I will take a couple spare tires with me but chances of getting it changed on a weekend might be slim to none!

… and you improve your chances if you do bring spares vs. not :)

Good luck that weekend! take pics/video!

I will take a couple spare tires with me but chances of getting it changed on a weekend might be slim to none!

Mike, I was at Mosport on a weekend also and there is a shop at the end of the pit paddock that can mount tires.They mounted a friends tires while we were there [on a Sunday]. Other than those guys, there's not a whole lot around the track, unless you drive to Bowmanville or Oshwa [about 1/2 hour]

Once again have fun

Hermes said:
Mike, I was at Mosport on a weekend also and there is a shop at the end of the pit paddock that can mount tires.They mounted a friends tires while we were there [on a Sunday]. Other than those guys, there's not a whole lot around the track, unless you drive to Bowmanville or Oshwa [about 1/2 hour]

Once again have fun

Thanks for the info. No worries now.

TMO Supporting Vendors