The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How Fast Will the 2018 Mustang GT Be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The HP specs should be released any day now and I suspect 450-460 HP will be available. Add MR dampers and the 10 speed auto to the performance package and this could be one of the fastest Mustangs around a road course ever made. We already know the PP Brembo brakes aren't far off the GT350 Brembos plus the 2015 GT PP is faster than a 2012/2013 Boss 302.

Could the 2018 Mustang GT PP be as fast as a GT350?

CJ Pony has a nice summary of the 2018 changes below.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/2018-mustang-refresh

2018-mustang-photoshoot-orange-fury.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Curious as to the actual performance figures and also at what weight.
Sure is taking long enough for Ford to get the power figures certified and released...

Overall, I think this will probably be a good car for those not willing/able to get their hands on a 350, or for those that really value the tech/gadgets that the updated car offers.

Ultimately I am looking to see what the future (MY2020) holds with the "lighter and smaller" S650--but we've heard that before so I'm not holding my breath.

mattlqx

Mustangless
If these are going to take until November to start hitting dealer lots and MY18 is the last year for the 350, then there won't be all that much overlap and anything is possible. But on the flip side if the 350 goes until the very end of the S550, I don't know how much they'll want to step on the 350s toes.

The real question will be how capable will these be as offered for track-use in terms of cooling. Maybe if the Shelby is gone for MY19, will we see a full cooler package available for the GT?

In the V6L
Having wrung good performance out of a 2011 GT then moved up to a Shelby, my opinion is that a GT can't compete with a Shelby, even if Ford adds more HP and the MR suspension. The reason is in the details, like the front suspension geometry difference and the ABS, EPAS and Advancetrac tuning. The GT is a mass-market passenger car and the Shelby is a premium sports car, and the tuning reflects that. The GT ABS is calibrated for all-season tires while the Shelby lets the brakes do their job all the way up to 1.1 G's or more. Shelby's sport mode shifts the brake balance to the rear to provide better balance for corner entry, while the GT's system is calibrated to maintain stability with whatever crap grade brake pads some skinflint owner might stuff into it. All these details add up to a different driving experience and a different level of performance.

Shelby's sport mode shifts the brake balance to the rear to provide better balance for corner entry, while the GT's system is calibrated to maintain stability with whatever crap grade brake pads some skinflint owner might stuff into it.

Wait, changing drive modes changes the brake balance? I've never heard this before. Any more info about this?

I think it'll get closer than SOME gt350 owners will want it to.

I'm predicting 465hp, weight roughly the same. The performance differences will be large, IMO. They're using the new Michelin tires, MR dampers and PFC pads.

In a straight line, I'm guessing low 12s if not 11.9 with the 10 speed @ 116mph.

And the GT will continue to use a steel front spindle, etc, as opposed to the aluminum knuckle on the GT350. Big difference.

Nobody is taking anything away from the GT350. It's an amazing vehicle, and I want one. I'll still want one even if the 18 GT comes out and is somehow faster at everything (not going to happen). It's just a special car.

With all of that said, even a 15 GT PP with minor modifications can be in the same discussion with a stock GT350. But once you start playing the modification game, you're already down the rabbit hole.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
So if the only mod you made to a 2018 GT is to install the stock GT350 wheels and tires I think the lap times could be very close. Most of us change tires, wheels and brake pads for track use anyway. But as @JAJ points out they still might feel different due to the suspension tuning.
With the GT350 wheels and tires, lap times would be close for most drivers. I'd expect the biggest gains from the stock cars would be the 5.2's redline. Delaying or eliminating shifts is a real time saver, IMO.

And the GT will continue to use a steel front spindle, etc, as opposed to the aluminum knuckle on the GT350. Big difference.
Sure, that's stuff I want. All of it. But doubting a big difference in lap times with just wheels and tires matched.

Another huge advantage with the GT350 is the trans and clutch. Just say NO to the MT-82. :eek:
Not to jinx myself, but both of my MT-82s are 100% stock and still taking a fair amount of use and abuse. No mods but the cooling scoop for both.

And the driver might still make the biggest difference with regard to *everything* mentioned above! ;)

I was just thinking about this a few weeks ago. With the aero mods done to the front end of the 2018 GT, the MR dampers, changes in some of the suspension to help work with the dampers, the 10 speed transmission, and the possibility of being 40HP or so down on the GT350 I think that it will get close to the performance levels of the GT350. Like previously said with a change in the wheels and tires and possibly the same DSC tuning that Cortex offers for the GT350 this could outperform the GT350. Although, like mentioned, now you have gone down the rabbit hole of mods. $ for $ it will be interesting to see what the stock GT350 vs. a properly modded 2018 GT can do around the same track.

I think that even if the new 2018 Mustang GT matches the GT350R in all performance aspects except horsepower and torque, you might see a couple of seconds difference in a 2 - 3 mile road course, especially ones with numerous long straights like VIR, Watkins Glen, and Road America. If the 2018 Gt has 460 HP, that is a still 66 less the the GT350's 526 HP.

In theory, the HP difference is worth approximately .47 seconds to the GT350s advantage in quarter mile times. That is assuming both cars weigh 3600 lbs.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
I think that even if the new 2018 Mustang GT matches the GT350R in all performance aspects except horsepower and torque, you might see a couple of seconds difference in a 2 - 3 mile road course, especially ones with numerous long straights like VIR, Watkins Glen, and Road America. If the 2018 Gt has 460 HP, that is a still 66 less the the GT350's 526 HP.

In theory, the HP difference is worth approximately .47 seconds to the GT350s advantage in quarter mile times. That is assuming both cars weigh 3600 lbs.

That's "IF" none of the gearing changes !
Same trans/final drive ratios the HP/torque curve will decide, but if they start playing with any gear ratio's it's anybody's ball game ;)

DFW, TX
Resurrecting old thread....

Did anybody realize that the 2018 "5.0" Coyote is 87cc's bigger than the previous model??? I thought the DI was the big change.

Bore x stroke (mm)93.0 x 92.7 Displacement (cc) 5038

Bore x stroke (mm)92.2 x 92.7 Displacement (cc) 4951

Voodoo
Bore x stroke (mm)94.0 x 93.0 Displacement (cc) 5163

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
So.... as bpracer ( that could be my name too, ha) notes the 18 really is a 5.0 liter, not one rounded up!

The 'old' Ford would have rounded up to 5.1L. Fox body 5.0L were even smaller, but still rounded up. Really should have been 4.9L...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel