The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 How high can I go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm looking to jack my car up to gain as much room underneath as possible for changing fluids and underbody work, using a floor jack. There is a jacking plate near the middle of the side rail so just one point on each side to deal with. There are AST coilovers on the car - how high do you think I could go without breaking something or putting too much load/strain on the side opposite being jacked?

Utah
I do the same thing and can jack up one side and fit a standard Rhino ramp with a custom (wood) riser that is 2 1/2 inches. The car is to low to drive on the ramps. I think it comes out to 14" or so. I jack up one side, then the other side as you are describing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks RodS197 - part of what I'm wondering is if I could jack up a side to about 20" without damaging the other side's suspension components? Then, once jack stands are in place, jack up the other side to the same height. Could jacking up the first side that high put too much load on the opposite side?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I would not be concerned about load on the suspension from jacking. These cars “Land” with much more energy while jumping curbs. You could likely Jack the car all the way onto its side without damaging the suspension.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Guys, I really appreciate the input. I really enjoy tinkering around with cars but finally have some time to actually do it. Thanks again for the info - I guess I'll be purchasing a floor jack that's gonna get it way up there to give me some room. I'm sure it will pay for itself with 1 or 2 sets of fluid change, plus I get to work on the car 😆

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Guys, I really appreciate the input. I really enjoy tinkering around with cars but finally have some time to actually do it. Thanks again for the info - I guess I'll be purchasing a floor jack that's gonna get it way up there to give me some room. I'm sure it will pay for itself with 1 or 2 sets of fluid change, plus I get to work on the car 😆
Make sure you buy good quality jack and jack stands that are properly weight rated. Also be very careful that all the jack stands are sitting properly placed and planted after the car is up. Safety first !!! :)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Another thought regarding jack stands. Track Requirements. Several tracks I have been to will fine you if your jack stands sink into the pavement. Only one provides you with plywood pads to set under the stands(MPH). The others depend on you do the right thing. Standard jack stands with metal angle legs will sink right into pavement. I have 4 sets of these I use at home. For the track I have gone to the Sunex stands with a flat bottom. They are a bit more expensive but will likely save you from having to repair pavement at the track.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you want to get the car as high up as possible I'd split the jacking in two sequences. Get the car level about half of the way up you can go on each side, then jack up again to get the car all the way up. This will help prevent any possible slippage of the car off of the stands at extreme angles.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Great point. My car during track season is stored in a garage on site with a concrete slab, but I see why tracks would expect someone to fix problems they create - like Mom said, try to leave the place as nice as when you arrived 👵

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Nice idea ArizonaBOSS - I wondered if that would be an option. Seems like a good way to go. Thanks for the confirmation, JM

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
It looks like my current jack stands are shorties, so I'll need something that could reach 20" to go along with a low profile high rising floor jack - who said tracking your car could get expensive. I like these from summit racing overall, though care will be needed on softer surfaces - I guess the question becomes, is an extra 5 inches really worth it 🤭🤔 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwb-647529

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
I got Quick jacks earlier this year and have been very happy with them. I got the 7000lb setup, so not particularly portable unless you've got a big trailer. I saw several people out at the track using the lighter version. I'm still stuck with a jack and stands at the track, but really like them for my tight garage space. I typically raise the car in several stages if I need to get it very high (with the jack/stand setup). I also store the tires under the car if I'm going to be crawling around under it with them removed.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Good perspective, Steve68Cougar, and realistically a floor jack and stands is what's used at the track I've been running.

Has anyone actually had a jack stand fail? It seems pretty safe if you have 4 of them working for you, but I like the idea of storing wheels under there for added protection.

Who knows, if I end up doing this as long as some of you guys I might just do something like quickjacks. Heck, with no seat time after seeing all I would do to modify my stock Boss for the track I went out and bought a full race spec version. Best decision I've made in awhile.

Lord knows I've looked into a lift for my garage, but it won't work for me and being near the Motor City has some advantages, including rent-a-lifts in fully stocked garages for CHEAP.

I like to use this 3 ton high-lift jack (about 22 inches of lift height) and these Race Ramp blocks. More room under the car and plenty of height along with a very safe feeling. When I need to do some suspension work I just use a jack stand on the one corner and remove the block and tire. I also have Steeda jacking rails on my car so I have more room to lift where I need to and I can lift one entire side of the car at a time.

IMG_7366[6976].jpg

IMG_8595.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Nice set up, nice garage. Your lift "system" seems like a good all around way to go, covers a lot of scenarios well.

TMO Supporting Vendors