The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How I love watching the Bathurst 12 Hour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I don't know what it is about GT and V8 Supercars in Australia, but I always love watching those races. The Bathurst 12 Hour is one of those races that always gets me excited about the coming races, like Sebring.

What a track, great racing, and bad ass cars. I couldn't watch it live but I was able to watch the recaps on Youtube. So enjoyable.

TX
By far the most exciting racing I've seen in a long time.

LOVE the fact that the top class is the GT3 class. Prototypes are so boring

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
By far the most exciting racing I've seen in a long time.

LOVE the fact that the top class is the GT3 class. Prototypes are so boring
I used to love prototypes back in the early 2000s ALMS when Audi was racing Panoz, Cadillac, BMW, and others. But it's not as appealing to me now for some reason. The production based stuff has always been my favorite. And I think the V8 Supercars has always been the most fun to watch for me. Although the BTCC stuff in the UK is pretty damn cool too. Both of those series seems to feature really aggressive racing.

TX
I used to love prototypes back in the early 2000s ALMS when Audi was racing Panoz, Cadillac, BMW, and others. But it's not as appealing to me now for some reason. The production based stuff has always been my favorite. And I think the V8 Supercars has always been the most fun to watch for me. Although the BTCC stuff in the UK is pretty damn cool too. Both of those series seems to feature really aggressive racing.

I think a lot of it is the fact you can't really root for a manufacturer anymore.You kind of can with Acura/Mazda, but still meh. Definitely missing BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc.

V8 supercars are the coolest cars on the planet for me - the engines are just so badass.

Europe's GT3 class is the coolest racing for me because of the diversity and they're properly quick. Would love to see Corvette go racing over there.

Wish IMSA would move away from the Prototypes and focus more on the production-based classes. Prototypes just aren't relatable and that's what endurance racing is about (for me). Leave the insane stuff for F1.

All that said, I am PSYCHED for the new hypercar class. Praying Mazda joins in with a new rotary engine :)

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I think a lot of it is the fact you can't really root for a manufacturer anymore.You kind of can with Acura/Mazda, but still meh. Definitely missing BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc.

V8 supercars are the coolest cars on the planet for me - the engines are just so badass.

Europe's GT3 class is the coolest racing for me because of the diversity and they're properly quick. Would love to see Corvette go racing over there.

Wish IMSA would move away from the Prototypes and focus more on the production-based classes. Prototypes just aren't relatable and that's what endurance racing is about (for me). Leave the insane stuff for F1.

All that said, I am PSYCHED for the new hypercar class. Praying Mazda joins in with a new rotary engine :)
Agreed on all fronts.

I remember watching a V8 Supercars race long ago and I saw the tool they used to change brake pads during a pit stop - now that was cool!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with the hypercar class, as that sounds like it's going to be more production-looking than the current prototype stuff.

To me, the Supercars have tight enough rules to control some crazy things, but have enough freedom in other areas that teams can play with some variables and make a difference. Also the racing rules aren't nearly as contrived as in US series with regards to pitstop timing, driver rankings, and the other goofy crap that the announcers here spend most of the broadcast trying to explain every minute of every race like every viewer is new to it. The Aussie announcers don't dwell on the restrictions imposed on the racing, they just move on and talk about the racing going on. I think the lack of commercial breaks also helps keep the flow going well.

Seeing the Supercars in the flesh is pretty epic and if you ever get the chance, definitely go. The atmosphere and fans make it awesome. I also think the tracks help the watching as most are on the shorter side, and you don't have long periods of nothing happening. The overall lack of cautions helps keep the strategies intact to play out as well.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
To me, the Supercars have tight enough rules to control some crazy things, but have enough freedom in other areas that teams can play with some variables and make a difference. Also the racing rules aren't nearly as contrived as in US series with regards to pitstop timing, driver rankings, and the other goofy crap that the announcers here spend most of the broadcast trying to explain every minute of every race like every viewer is new to it. The Aussie announcers don't dwell on the restrictions imposed on the racing, they just move on and talk about the racing going on. I think the lack of commercial breaks also helps keep the flow going well.

Seeing the Supercars in the flesh is pretty epic and if you ever get the chance, definitely go. The atmosphere and fans make it awesome. I also think the tracks help the watching as most are on the shorter side, and you don't have long periods of nothing happening. The overall lack of cautions helps keep the strategies intact to play out as well.
Where/when did you get to experience Supercars AJ? Was it Bathurst by chance?

Where/when did you get to experience Supercars AJ? Was it Bathurst by chance?

I went to the 2018 Newcastle final, then took the scenic route to Bathurst, and did a bunch of laps in the rental car since its a public road 99% of the year. Just watch out for traffic coming the other way! The elevation is just amazing. I want to go to the 1000, but it always falls right around my own racing. The next race I want to go to is the Gold Coast, especially with it supposed to be a night race.IMG_6276.JPG

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I went to the 2018 Newcastle final, then took the scenic route to Bathurst, and did a bunch of laps in the rental car since its a public road 99% of the year. Just watch out for traffic coming the other way! The elevation is just amazing. I want to go to the 1000, but it always falls right around my own racing. The next race I want to go to is the Gold Coast, especially with it supposed to be a night race.View attachment 12547
Wow that sounds like it needs to be on the bucket list. I need to find a way to get over there at some point.

best racing on the planet.. they could "tidy" up the look of the mustangs though to look a bit more mustangish
We did have to turn the TV off when AJ was around though..it got to be too hard on stock parts..lol

qFrE6hn.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors