The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How light can boss 302 or GT be ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Watson shows shipping weight of 75 lbs for their 4 point bar. But if you go to fixed racing seats you can get a chunk of that back. OEM seats and OEM Recaros seem to be about 50 lbs each, according to the what things weigh thread over on the drama site. Fixed racing seats are less than 20 lbs each. So if you went to 1 racing seat you'd be close to neutral in the end with the bar, still a bit of a loss with harnesses likely. At least I think that's correct but there may be other factors I'm missing.

I was going to go this route but am having second thoughts, my issue is just that I'm exceeding what the Recaro seats and OEM seat belts can do to keep me in place, I have to do a lot of wiggling around to get back in place after 2 or 3 corners in the same direction. So think I might just go with Schroth Quick Fit Pro which also would enable a Hans if I choose to do that and also maintains the pre-tensioner function. I never carry a passenger so I just need 1 harness, and I can save 50 lbs by taking out the passenger seat for track days if I so desire. That would give me more room to carry track junk to the track as well as making it easier to get it in and out of the car.

Safety equipment in cars now is pretty damn stout and well engineered, especially the airbag systems. I seriously question the need for a roll bar or anything that would interfere with the function of the OEM safety equipment for HPDE days. Real racing is a different thing though. Hopefully this is not too far off topic here.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
When I did the rear seat delete on my car I believe I took about 52 lbs of weight out. The thread I referred to above shows the rear seats at 30.8 lbs, seat cushion at 11 lbs and the trunk mat at 4 lbs. This is for S550. What I referred to above was the weight of the OEM front seats in an S550, be they Recaros or others.

I would like to keep the cars interior as much as i could but i prefer competing with corvettes and thats why im weighing the options... i guess even though there is alot of room for weight reduction but still in comparison to corvette c6 the corvettes are way lighter and i think corvettes have a room of weight reduction too....

i think if i want to compare lightened mustangs to lightened ... still mustangs would be heavier than corvettes.

TMO Supporting Vendors