The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How long will these Cup 2s last?

How many sessions left?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-5

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 6-10

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious how much life you guys think I will squeeze out of these.

running r-spec wheels on a non-R GT350 and tires are Cup 2 325/30/19 XL in the rear and 305/30/19 in the front.

the pictured tires have 125 miles of street driving and 40 laps at Laguna Seca (110 miles of track time).

520C7F21-642A-4FAB-9515-7BDFDD50AA5E.jpeg

C725B5B6-A567-47C0-A108-15B3C6FBC059.jpeg

Bay Area
There is no real answer to this question. I gauge my usage of tires off heat cycles. I try not to drive my track tires on the street much. Only to and from the track and I also consider that a heat cycle. You also have to take into consideration the driver. Im not a fast guy out there so I get more cycles out of my tires compared to @flyhalf who (I'm guessing here) would get a lot less track days/time than I do because he flys around the track. Also, you need some more camber up front. The rear you could use some more also. At the end of the day / life cycle Cup2s should almost look like slicks. But, then again this also is dependent on the driver, camber, track, air pressure, track temps, etc. Wait for our tire expert @blacksheep-1 to educate us.

There is no real answer to this question. I gauge my usage of tires off heat cycles. I try not to drive my track tires on the street much. Only to and from the track and I also consider that a heat cycle. You also have to take into consideration the driver. Im not a fast guy out there so I get more cycles out of my tires compared to @flyhalf who (I'm guessing here) would get a lot less track days/time than I do because he flys around the track. Also, you need some more camber up front. The rear you could use some more also. At the end of the day / life cycle Cup2s should almost look like slicks. But, then again this also is dependent on the driver, camber, track, air pressure, track temps, etc. Wait for our tire expert @blacksheep-1 to educate us.

These only get driven to and from the track in terms of street use. If it wasn’t clear, and it probably wasn’t, I was asking how many more days at Laguna will I get out of them. Each day implies the same miles (125 road / 110 track).

My seasons done.....doing a complete overhaul. Theyre sitting in my warehouse unmounted. I was going to run them this weekend but ran out of time

cool. Let me know how much time you shave when you run them. I only have one more day left for 2020 and I’m running these Cup 2s come hell or high water for that.

cool. Let me know how much time you shave when you run them. I only have one more day left for 2020 and I’m running these Cup 2s come hell or high water for that.

invest in camber plates up front, im switching to coil overs so i’ll be selling my vorshlags soon.....you are just burning up the edge of your tires with the alignment you have. What cold tire pressures are you at?

invest in camber plates up front, im switching to coil overs so i’ll be selling my vorshlags soon.....you are just burning up the edge of your tires with the alignment you have.

I’ll buy your vorshlags assuming they have the OEM strut setup and are in good shape.

these are the ones I want to buy.

definitely going to add camber, don’t worry.

Bay Area
These only get driven to and from the track in terms of street use. If it wasn’t clear, and it probably wasn’t, I was asking how many more days at Laguna will I get out of them. Each day implies the same miles (125 road / 110 track).

You probably have a few more days left. I’d guesstimate two tracks day. Mine are in storage but if I get over there I’ll snap a pic of what my fronts look like and I’m thinking I have 2-3 more track days out of them.

invest in camber plates up front, im switching to coil overs so i’ll be selling my vorshlags soon.....you are just burning up the edge of your tires with the alignment you have. What cold tire pressures are you at?

Cold psi was 30 in the morning and then 28 in the afternoon. 35-37 hot psi all day.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
To me, those tires look brand new. Front look like they have a session or two on them, and the insides look brand new, which like the others say might be worth getting a little more negative camber to balance it out, and at that wear rate, I'd put you closer to 10-12 heat cycles left, or 2-3 days. Some combination of you, the course, and the track temperatures aren't too hard on the tires, which is a good thing if you're driving them back home and on the street.

Typically for me, with my home tracks being Auto Club and Willow Springs, which are pretty fast and hot, I'd be happy to get 4 full days / 16 sessions.

Hi
The simple answer is.
Right now with this set up. 1. Maybe 2 days (8 sessions)
Lomg answer is
If you plan to run cup2 often i strongly encourage you go squared with your next set up. This will allow you to rotate tires getting up to double of trackdays out of them. (So bringing them to 4 trackdays total)
Imo they are not a good tire for the hpde. Yes they are a good tire but expensive amd wear fast.
As suggested me when i started
I'd ecourage you to look into a 305mm squared setup..maybe with 4 extra wheels dedicated to the track.
A couple of notes
If you wamt to enlong the life of those tires you need more camber. For sure -2.5 or more. Thisnwill allow you to use the entire tire even the wearing. (And invrease performance)
Camber doesnt kill the tire on the street. Is the toe. So be " neutral with it" and you will be fine.

When do you go to your next event?
Alessandro

Hi
The simple answer is.
Right now with this set up. 1. Maybe 2 days (8 sessions)
Lomg answer is
If you plan to run cup2 often i strongly encourage you go squared with your next set up. This will allow you to rotate tires getting up to double of trackdays out of them. (So bringing them to 4 trackdays total)
Imo they are not a good tire for the hpde. Yes they are a good tire but expensive amd wear fast.
As suggested me when i started
I'd ecourage you to look into a 305mm squared setup..maybe with 4 extra wheels dedicated to the track.
A couple of notes
If you wamt to enlong the life of those tires you need more camber. For sure -2.5 or more. Thisnwill allow you to use the entire tire even the wearing. (And invrease performance)
Camber doesnt kill the tire on the street. Is the toe. So be " neutral with it" and you will be fine.

When do you go to your next event?
Alessandro

My next track day is late November so plenty of time to make some adjustments. I already have dedicated track wheels but I don’t like the square setup because I want to preserve the suspension geometry Ford designed for the car. I’m of the belief the team of engineers at Ford are more trustworthy than any dude in a garage (sorry dudes in garages). That’s why I went with the R spec wheel sizes / backspacing etc. The changes I would like to make would be to make the R spec downforce and spring stiffness settings but I haven’t found a way I like to switch the spoiler or buy new springs (not sure if I need to get new dampers but I hope not lol).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel