The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How long will these Cup 2s last?

How many sessions left?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-5

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 6-10

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
ARD. Yes, the Ford engineers do know their business very well. There are a few here. Keep in mind they have to build a car the will work on the street as well as on the track. The advice you are receiving is track related Only. Your question was related to tire wear on track. The advice to modify your set up Will increase track wear substantially assuming you monitor tire wear during an event. Different tracks place different demands on tires. At $2k a set for tires, it does not take long before another set of wheels pay for their self.

ARD. Yes, the Ford engineers do know their business very well. There are a few here. Keep in mind they have to build a car the will work on the street as well as on the track. The advice you are receiving is track related Only. Your question was related to tire wear on track. The advice to modify your set up Will increase track wear substantially assuming you monitor tire wear during an event. Different tracks place different demands on tires. At $2k a set for tires, it does not take long before another set of wheels pay for their self.

fair enough but my wife also needs to drive the car on the street, so I need to care about that too. I’d rather pay America’s Tires than a marriage counselor if I ruin her car on the street! ;-)

My next track day is late November so plenty of time to make some adjustments. I already have dedicated track wheels but I don’t like the square setup because I want to preserve the suspension geometry Ford designed for the car. I’m of the belief the team of engineers at Ford are more trustworthy than any dude in a garage (sorry dudes in garages). That’s why I went with the R spec wheel sizes / backspacing etc. The changes I would like to make would be to make the R spec downforce and spring stiffness settings but I haven’t found a way I like to switch the spoiler or buy new springs (not sure if I need to get new dampers but I hope not lol).
Understood.
However.
The 350 R comes 305 front and 315 rear. Not 325.

I think this difference/staggered changes way more the geometry of your car.
One of the first guy suggested me a square was billy johnson, test driver for ford and ford performance.
As mentioned
Staggered set up is also for..look.
Cause yes those cars are capable on track. But they are 99% street usage cars.
10mm from a geometry point of view is not a lot. But will save big money on the long run.
I'll be in laguna sept19 (if i have my car back..... :) )
Let me know if you are around.
Ale

Understood.
However.
The 350 R comes 305 front and 315 rear. Not 325.

I think this difference/staggered changes way more the geometry of your car.
One of the first guy suggested me a square was billy johnson, test driver for ford and ford performance.
As mentioned
Staggered set up is also for..look.
Cause yes those cars are capable on track. But they are 99% street usage cars.
10mm from a geometry point of view is not a lot. But will save big money on the long run.
I'll be in laguna sept19 (if i have my car back..... :) )
Let me know if you are around.
Ale

My second kid is due on the 22nd so I most definitely will not be at Laguna on the 19th but I will be there for the Shelby Club event on November 28th (or whatever the day after Thanksgiving is).

Honestly the only reason I went for the 325s is because the shop I bought the setup from didn't have 315s at the time but it's a good point about the impact there. But like I said it's work in progress. I still need to adjust the suspension and downforce if I want to truly replicate the R geometry so clearly it's not quite right yet no matter the tires.

The next mod on the car will likely be to switch to the 2018+ swing if i can do it within a reasonable budget. I could be talked into the R wing, but the extra downforce seems like the better way to go given that hitting top speed isn't a primary concern. At least not compared to staying in contact with the road around turns.

I appreciate the suggestions to go square guys, but I just got these wheels and tires and they took 7 seconds off my lap times and I have the good fortune to be on a healthy budget so I'm not overly concerned about squeezing every ounce of life from the tires. The reason I asked in my original post was because I wanted to have the right expectations and avoid testing out my tow anchor points on track if I overshoot with said expectations.

My next track day is late November so plenty of time to make some adjustments. I already have dedicated track wheels but I don’t like the square setup because I want to preserve the suspension geometry Ford designed for the car. I’m of the belief the team of engineers at Ford are more trustworthy than any dude in a garage (sorry dudes in garages). That’s why I went with the R spec wheel sizes / backspacing etc. The changes I would like to make would be to make the R spec downforce and spring stiffness settings but I haven’t found a way I like to switch the spoiler or buy new springs (not sure if I need to get new dampers but I hope not lol).

well when you switch camber plates you can put the R springs up front.

our cars are ubdersteer pigs, more front aero, the better.... look at Archetypes splitters..... Also, engineers always run the fine line of cost vs performance....dont think doing a square setup hurts the car at all.

thanks! Unlike when my first kid was imminent, now I know what’s coming for me and I’m terrified. I had oblivious optimism last time.

100% of people say the second is exact opposite of first.....which is why i only have 1......didnt sleep through the night til 15minths.

100% of people say the second is exact opposite of first.....which is why i only have 1......didnt sleep through the night til 15minths.

Our oldest was a great sleeper pretty much since the beginning so our second will probably go his whole life without sleep. We'll see.

Now that I'm committed to camber plates and making the adjustment to a lot more camber I'm trying to figure out what else to do to the car. I'm thinking before my next track day I need to put on some tow hooks (already ordered) since I feel like I'm living on borrowed time without them. Especially since I may hit some wet tracks over the rainy season. i may stop there between now and my next track day. Just so I can enjoy the tow hook without crashing I got the gopro mount and a new gopro to do some fun session videos. The rest of the short list is:
  • put new springs on the car (debating between the FPP springs and sway bar, BMR springs with some other bar, the OEM R springs or the OEM 2020 non-R springs, more research to be done).
  • Install the Anderson Composites 2019+ swing and gurney flap in place of my OEM 2017 spoiler if I can do it without spending a fortune for 50lbs of downforce.
  • Swap out the rotors and pads once they're spent with Girodisc and Raybestos RT43 (plus those titanium shims)
I'm hoping I can do all that, then run another 3 seconds faster around Laguna. I need to run faster than all the GT3 RS guys in the run group, which means staying in the low 1:40s.

Our oldest was a great sleeper pretty much since the beginning so our second will probably go his whole life without sleep. We'll see.

Now that I'm committed to camber plates and making the adjustment to a lot more camber I'm trying to figure out what else to do to the car. I'm thinking before my next track day I need to put on some tow hooks (already ordered) since I feel like I'm living on borrowed time without them. Especially since I may hit some wet tracks over the rainy season. i may stop there between now and my next track day. Just so I can enjoy the tow hook without crashing I got the gopro mount and a new gopro to do some fun session videos. The rest of the short list is:
  • put new springs on the car (debating between the FPP springs and sway bar, BMR springs with some other bar, the OEM R springs or the OEM 2020 non-R springs, more research to be done).
  • Install the Anderson Composites 2019+ swing and gurney flap in place of my OEM 2017 spoiler if I can do it without spending a fortune for 50lbs of downforce.
  • Swap out the rotors and pads once they're spent with Girodisc and Raybestos RT43 (plus those titanium shims)
I'm hoping I can do all that, then run another 3 seconds faster around Laguna. I need to run faster than all the GT3 RS guys in the run group, which means staying in the low 1:40s.
What car do you have?

2017 GT350 with satin bronze Project 6GR Ten R-spec wheels. Magnetic Metallic, no stripe.
I would say somenthing you may dont like.
Because when i started
expert people told me this too and i didn't like either. But it was the best advice i received.
Stop with the mods and just drive :)
Driver mode is right what you need. The car is way more capable of you ( for the moment..)
50lbs of DF does not make a difference. Actually if not counter balance by somenthing in the front it may create understeering.
You can swap the pads (i guess you already have a better brake fluid in)
The rotors in the 350 are fine.
You could go stiffer with springs? Yes maybe. Is it fundamental? Probably not
How many time have you been on track?
If i should incest money. I would spend 99$ for online video coaching ( racers360) .
I improved so much with them.
The 350 stock is sub 40 at laguna.
:)
Alex

I would say somenthing you may dont like.
Because when i started
expert people told me this too and i didn't like either. But it was the best advice i received.
Stop with the mods and just drive :)
Driver mode is right what you need. The car is way more capable of you ( for the moment..)
50lbs of DF does not make a difference. Actually if not counter balance by somenthing in the front it may create understeering.
You can swap the pads (i guess you already have a better brake fluid in)
The rotors in the 350 are fine.
You could go stiffer with springs? Yes maybe. Is it fundamental? Probably not
How many time have you been on track?
If i should incest money. I would spend 99$ for online video coaching ( racers360) .
I improved so much with them.
The 350 stock is sub 40 at laguna.
:)
Alex

I'm 100% certain that you're right, but I don't get enough track time to satisfy my urges to play with the car and mods fill in the gaps. The GT350 is roughly a 1:36 car at Laguna, but I don't have the time or track access to become that good, so I need the mechanical help. I was actually planning to sign up for Speed Secrets, the coach I had at my last track day recommended them.

Specifically in regard to the rotors, the way I'm chewing through them the will last about the same amount of time as the pads. Both the pads and rotors are roughly 25% worn so if they continue to degrade at the same rate, I'll be replacing both. In regard to the fluid, the pedal actually felt great even though my brake cooling ducts got clogged up with track rubber and my pads started to cook, so the OEM fluid seems to be holding up well. No fade at all in terms of pedal feel.

I've done 10 sessions at Laguna, so roughly 4 hours of track time.

I can guarantee the "swing" replica will not give you the mechanical answer you are looking for.
You may benefit from some stiffer springs..?maybe..
How do you feel the car?
Corner entry, stable oversteer or understeer?
Mid corner. Stable oversteer or understeer?
Corner exit. Stable oversteer or understeer?

Rotors. When you say 25% worn you mean "visually worn " or you check the thickness?

I strongly encourage the racers360 especially now that you have a camera.
They contributed for a big chunk of my 5sec faster lap that my previous attempt at laguna. 99$ is an unbeatable mod!

I can guarantee the "swing" replica will not give you the mechanical answer you are looking for.
You may benefit from some stiffer springs..?maybe..
How do you feel the car?
Corner entry, stable oversteer or understeer?
Mid corner. Stable oversteer or understeer?
Corner exit. Stable oversteer or understeer?

Rotors. When you say 25% worn you mean "visually worn " or you check the thickness?

I strongly encourage the racers360 especially now that you have a camera.
They contributed for a big chunk of my 5sec faster lap that my previous attempt at laguna. 99$ is an unbeatable mod!

I'm sure you're right about the swing, but it also looks cool and that counts for something. Plus I hate the fingerprint trap piano black that exists everywhere you need to touch to close the trunk. I suppose not everything is about performance.

In regard to the rotors, I had the shop check the thickness after every track day. Same with pads.

With me in the driver's seat, the car has been very stable on entry and mid corner with some oversteer at exit but mostly due to my impatience getting back on the throttle. When I do my job properly, it's mild if anything.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel