The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How loud is the stock Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all,

I don't have a Boss (as yet) or have never ridden in one. My car is a 2011 GT/CS with Roush axle back mufflers, which is fairly loud in my opinion. I was wondering how loud the exhaust is on a stock Boss on the highway at 60 or 70 cruising speed? Drone at any speed?

Thanks!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
With the sidepipes open and stock mufflers, it will be probably slightly less loud than than the Roush exhaust on your GT. No drone that I recall.

However, I swapped Roush mufflers onto the car at the end of day 1. It's pretty loud with those and the sidepipes open.

at 70mph you'll probably be hearing the rear end whine more than the exhaust.

currently, i have the 3/4" exhaust plates from Rick, and there's minimal noise inside the cabin.

My Boss has stock exhaust and I drilled the plates to 3/4 inch. I didn't think it was very loud until I got in my 2008 Shelby GT500 with stock exhaust. The difference was like night and day, now I'm trying to decide on what exaust to put on the Shelby.

F.D. Sako said:
at 70mph you'll probably be hearing the rear end whine more than the exhaust.

currently, i have the 3/4" exhaust plates from Rick, and there's minimal noise inside the cabin.

I have the QTP cutouts and run them wide open all the time. On the hwy it's loud enough to hear but you can still have a normal conversation. When my wife's with me I'll sometimes hear droning coming from the passenger side but I've learn to tune that out.

Thanks guys. I don't think it would be as loud stock as my 2011 GT with Roush exhaust. (unless you have a passenger) I was looking at a race red boss about 4 hours from home. It got sold before I got to it! I should have jumped sooner -- the previous one I said I'd take was sold by another salesman 10 minutes before I thought I bought it. They are getting harder to find in my area.

racered302 said:
I have the QTP cutouts and run them wide open all the time. On the hwy it's loud enough to hear but you can still have a normal conversation. When my wife's with me I'll sometimes hear droning coming from the passenger side but I've learn to tune that out.

i didnt catch this first read, LOL

TMO Supporting Vendors