The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How many cars and for how many years will the Boss 302 be built?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here are a couple of posts from other forums on the subject:

From PhotoRick on BMP:

"At the Detroit Auto Show, I had a chance to speak with a Ford management person who works at AAI (where all Mustangs are now built) and was given the following information:

1. Boss production will begin at the end of January. All parts necessary to build Bosses are now available.

2. According to him, Ford has NOT officially stated how many Bosses will be built. I was told to think about how Ford has handled production for other limited production Mustangs including Cobras, Shelbys and Bullitts. In other words, Ford will probably build all the new Boss Mustangs that buyers want.

3. Ford has not officially stated how many years the new Boss will be built. I was told, "Think Shelby GT 500". In other words, if sales continue to be acceptable, Boss Mustangs will likely be built for more than two years.

So, apparently, there is no rush. If you want one and you want to wait for things to "sort out", that could be a good thing. "

and OAC_Sparky on TMS who works at Ford:

Me on the subject of LS allocations:
"If there was an allocation shouldn't there be a specific amount that will be built? When will Ford announce the production numbers they expect to build? Inquiring minds (and future owners) want to know. I still think the 3,500/500 each of the two year sounds about right and closely follows the total production for the 1969/1970 cars."

OAC_Sparky:
"These are the "projected" numbers (4000ish) but I'm sure some Ford exec is going to juggle numbers enough to maximize sales while trying to retain "limited" status. "

Bottom line is nobody knows and I'm now thinking Ford will make as many as customers want. I was hopeful the 8,000 total production number over two years was true to help the long term value of the Boss cars but this thought is now out the door. With that said I think demand for the GT500 will still be greater than a Boss 302 although maybe not for the 2012 MY. People are accustomed to buying cars with NAV, leather, and all the other bells and whistles so I think demand for the Boss will be limited. What do you think?

Also notice the Boss is positioned between the GT 5.0 and GT500. This should help with ADM.
DSC01823.png

Ford has lied about most of the special editions that they built. I remember the 2003 Mach1 was only going to be roughly 5000 units and they built close to 8,000 in 2 years. They hyped the 08 Bullit as well.
Fred

Lol, My dealer was pressuring me when I bought mine, like "There will be VERY LIMITED amount of regular 302 Bosses, I would act fast probably only 250 in Canada and 2 in Quebec! If you don't take it the president of the dealer will take it next week.." And stupid me bought his lies.

Thanks for the answers, appreciate it.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
OAC_Sparky:
"These are the "projected" numbers (4000ish) but I'm sure some Ford exec is going to juggle numbers enough to maximize sales while trying to retain "limited" status. "

Bottom line is nobody knows and I'm now thinking Ford will make as many as customers want. I was hopeful the 8,000 total production number over two years was true to help the long term value of the Boss cars but this thought is now out the door. With that said I think demand for the GT500 will still be greater than a Boss 302 although maybe not for the 2012 MY. People are accustomed to buying cars with NAV, leather, and all the other bells and whistles so I think demand for the Boss will be limited. What do you think?

Also notice the Boss is positioned between the GT 5.0 and GT500. This should help with ADM.
DSC01823.png

I agree with these observations. '08 Bullitts sat on the lots for a long time after the people they really appealed to and could afford them bought them. The economy and gas prices at the time had a lot to do with that, but I think what also contributed was the plainness and limited options. The remaining Bullitts did not go until the incentives made them cheap enough to deepen the buyer pool. The Boss has performance and looks on its side, but with even more spartan options, the GT500 to compete with, the still weak economy, and uptrending gas prices will probably result in a limited market for the Boss as it is now. I think most dealers will drop ADM aspirations quickly, but incentives will not appear until 2012. I feel that next year Ford will have to offer premium GT options on the Boss to get more people interested.

To me the best approach would be to have a small run limited edition LS for the hard core enthusiasts, and then offer a Boss performance package available as an option on a standard or premium GT. I don't want an electronics package, but I would have wanted the the auto dimming mirror, the sync system, and shaker stereo that I can't have.

PJWANNABE said:
5 DOT 0 said:
OAC_Sparky:

DSC01823.png

I agree with these observations. '08 Bullitts sat on the lots for a long time after the people they really appealed to and could afford them bought them. The economy and gas prices at the time had a lot to do with that, but I think what also contributed was the plainness and limited options. The remaining Bullitts did not go until the incentives made them cheap enough to deepen the buyer pool. The Boss has performance and looks on its side, but with even more spartan options, the GT500 to compete with, the still weak economy, and uptrending gas prices will probably result in a limited market for the Boss as it is now. I think most dealers will drop ADM aspirations quickly, but incentives will not appear until 2012. I feel that next year Ford will have to offer premium GT options on the Boss to get more people interested.

To me the best approach would be to have a small run limited edition LS for the hard core enthusiasts, and then offer a Boss performance package available as an option on a standard or premium GT. I don't want an electronics package, but I would have wanted the the auto dimming mirror, the sync system, and shaker stereo that I can't have.
that I agree would have been nice.

That would be a cool use for sync, to bad you can't retro fit it. but being spartan does have its charm in an overly optioned world.
I think this could be more of the ultimate driving machine than BMW.

Big Vito said:
That would be a cool use for sync, to bad you can't retro fit it. but being spartan does have its charm in an overly optioned world.

Have one and I hope to retire it to the poor weather grocery getter when the LS gets here ;D

GA
Polaristxguy said:
Big Vito said:

Have one and I hope to retire it to the poor weather grocery getter when the LS gets here ;D

The lack of bells and whistles has been part of the charm of the Bullitt too. I can do without the sync, and I did not listen to the radio so much because of the Bullitt exhaust note so with the sounds of the Boss I would probably never listen to the stereo anyway. I could get the auto dimming mirror installed but I didn't drive enough at night to bother putting it in the Bullitt either. The leather in the Bullitt was garbage anyway, so maybe the cloth will be better. The Boss will make Bimmer guys closet Mustang lovers. ;D

Here are a couple of pics of my car at Road Atlanta last month. If I get the Boss I will use it the way it was meant to be. 8)
IMG00242.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

This will be my first vehicle in many years to have cloth, so used to leather and heat lol. and now air cooled seats, but I do drive a lot at night and having the rear and side mirrors auto dim is great. The only thing I may add is in-dash navigation. But will wait on that.

Big Vito said:
This will be my first vehicle in many years to have cloth, so used to leather and heat lol. and now air cooled seats, but I do drive a lot at night and having the rear and side mirrors auto dim is great. The only thing I may add is in-dash navigation. But will wait on that.
I'm glad they used most of the dollars on performance parts versus comfort package since I'll use this Mustang on the track even more than my GT500. That said, the mirror things sucks. I have replaced the rear view mirrors on my GT500, my wife's Warriors in Pink Mustang and will on the Boss. I have two garage doors at home and one at the office so I need THREE garage door openers. There's no way I'm going to have all that hanging from the visor, so I'll be ordering an auto-dimming rear view with Homelink again. Might get temp this time so I can see the difference between ambient and IAT on the Aeroforce gauge to see how efficiently the CAI is bringing in air.

I think it will be fun to leave the comfort and join back into performance. I'm going to look for that mirror sounds like a good investment.

TMO Supporting Vendors