The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How Much Damage did I do to my Engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys give me some peace of mind. I've changed the oil in my Boss several times with no issues, but the one freaking time I didn't double check my work this happened......car leaked oil from the filter and I didn't notice.

The next day I drove to work (about a mile away), parked and noticed a trail of oil coming from my car. Checked the dipstick and it was dry. My heart sunk :'( as i feared the potential damaged I could have done to my engine. Luckily an automotive shop is in the same plaza, and they took my car in to replace the filter and top it off with oil (about 6.5 quarts). No sensor went off or knocking sound occurred when I first drove away from my house.

Boss is running like nothing happened, revs freely no knocking during start up. should I be worried? What should I be looking for? Thanks.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
You have a full synthetic oil in your car. On such a short drive you might be okay and not have caused any damage. I would change the oil one more time after you have driven it a little bit and check for any metal in the oil. Other than that, if it drives fine, sounds normal, all might be copacetic.

Yeah, was running 5w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic. Gonna change the oil and filter again to inspect it. Hopefully its clean.

Capture some oil and run an analysis. Ill bet you'll be fine.

I've heard that on the 13's, if you run dangerously low on oil, the oil light on the dash should come on (someone correct me if that's wrong). Even if your dipstick was dry, you could still have had enough oil to be fine. If it's not making any weird noises, you're probably alright.

So far so good, not sure why the filter leaked if i tightened down hard like i always have. It was the Ford Racing M-6731-FL820 filter. Seemed overall bigger than the Purolator filter but the gasket size was the same and screwed in fine. Anybody else run this filter?

El_Jefe_302 said:
So far so good, not sure why the filter leaked if i tightened down hard like i always have. It was the Ford Racing M-6731-FL820 filter. Seemed overall bigger than the Purolator filter but the gasket size was the same and screwed in fine. Anybody else run this filter?

I've experienced the same problem with that filter. I still use them, but tighten them and run the car on jack stands for about 5 minutes after an oil change to visually check for leaks.

My experience was similar, except it was on the second startup that I left a trail of oil behind me. Now I tighten them so hard they barely come off...

Remember those old Mobil 1 ads when synthetics were new on the market? They would drain the engine of all oil and run them for 50 plus hours to prove the "protection lasts".

Given your short drive and not pushing it I bet you'll be fine.

Any chance you left the old gasket stuck to the block when you changed the filter? If you puked out 6.5 qts in a mile you had a pretty significant leak. Usually when you don't rub a coat of oil on the new oil filter gasket, the next time you spin off the filter the rubber sticks to the block and you now have a double gasket that doesn't seal 60 psi very well at all (ask me how I know). You can double check your work by looking at the old filter and there won't be a rubber gasket on it.

GB218

TMO Addict
A strange coincidence.....

I've been using the FL-820S on my SportTrac for years with no issues (4L V6).

Bought a friends Mountaineer (4.6L V8) a couple years ago. It also uses the FL-820S filter.

Last weekend I was changing the oil in both. Everything went normal. I always check the old filter and then wipe the filter threads and filter mounting surface on the engine before I put the new (loaded) filter on. I didn't see a gasket on the mountaineers used filter and A$$umed it must have fallen into the oil collection pan. Well to my surprise, while wiping the mounting surface on the engine, the filter gasket was still stuck on the engine. I had to force it off and used a gasket scraper to clean the surface. I haven't seen this happen in years....

I'm wondering if the filter has issues flowing oil on V8's (volume)? I'm sure the 4.6 isn't running anywhere near as hot as the Boss's are. Yes, I always lube the new gasket as I load the filter before install. I also use synthetic oil in both trucks, and change the oil at 2500 intervals/twice a year.

For what it's worth, I use the recommended FL-500S on my Boss.

Just thought the timing was strange.

Hope your engine is OK.

GB218

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
GB218:

I hit the "Like" button on your post because this is good information to share. I do the same procedure when changing engine oil. As a kid, my Dad always told me this could happen, even though I never saw this happen personally, I'm always expecting and inspecting for this condition.

Nice to know Dad was right.

Thanks for posting,
302 Hi Pro
Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors