The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How much interchange between Fox Mustangs and Fox T Birds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Two words - Fairmont wagon. Super sleeper, if you can find one. Mid-80's LTD wagon is the same thing.

Going the T-Bird route, his might give you some ideas, including an IRS swap - https://www.fordmuscle.com/news/video-88-thunderbird-with-a-mustang-cobra-irs/

Another interesting choice could be the SN-95 cousin 94-98 Lincoln, which apparently shares many Cobra engine & suspension parts.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Two words - Fairmont wagon. Super sleeper, if you can find one. Mid-80's LTD wagon is the same thing.

Going the T-Bird route, his might give you some ideas, including an IRS swap - https://www.fordmuscle.com/news/video-88-thunderbird-with-a-mustang-cobra-irs/

Another interesting choice could be the SN-95 cousin 94-98 Lincoln, which apparently shares many Cobra engine & suspension parts.
Thanks Dave

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Thanks Dave

The wagon belongs to a friend of mine. Steve, what you got playing around in your head?

ny
15 is bud Moores # . Ricky rudd car. Car is still around . I am sure you know not a thing from a fox body on that car.lol chris

ny
think Ross Myers owns the roush racing 7eleven t/a tbird? Look at 3dog garage website. I am very friendly with Ross main curater chris liebenburgh.

Chris

Virtually everything is interchangeable, the floorpan is just stretched. I sold and IRS unit to a guy that put it into a Fairmont wagon that he tracks, maybe the guy in the article. there are about 5 of those that I'm aware of

Cruise down to the fox body build that I wrote years ago, you will find all the info you need on swapping an irs.
The units to try and get are the 03/04 , they have the 31 spline axles, and 3.55 hearing, the 99s are the least desirable, 28 spline 3.08 ( or something) gears. If you buy an irs, make sure you get the mounting brackets with it, they are different than the quad shock mount.
Also Bruce at FTBR knows these inside and out.
Go check out that thread and use it as a blueprint.
I did notch the frame rails so I could lower it more, but it's not a necessity

TMO Supporting Vendors