The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How often do you add coolant to your Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Boss said:
Thread revival...

Is going to Ford the only way to get the correct coolant for our cars? It's going to be close to 110 at the track this Sunday at Thunderhill and I was thinking I might grab a jug to go along with my spare upper and lower hoses.
More important than spare hoses, make sure you bring a couple spare radiator caps. They're only 8 bucks and I have gone through a few. Once you pop them they won't seal.....basically one time use.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Fat Boss said:
Thread revival...

Is going to Ford the only way to get the correct coolant for our cars? It's going to be close to 110 at the track this Sunday at Thunderhill and I was thinking I might grab a jug to go along with my spare upper and lower hoses.

I am now using distilled water + 2 bottles of water wetter. No coolant. Runs nice and cool.

-Pete

Thanks to Gary's suggestion almost three years ago I have a spare radiator cap. But it will be very expensive to buy on Sunday. ;)

Ordered some spare caps myself last week for June Road Atlanta event... Also planning to add 2 bottles of water wetter after draining equivalent amount of coolant. Hoping the water wetter plus new GT500 cooling fan will get me through the weekend. Have been reading the oil cooler thread updates just in case........

Z20WHAT said:
Ordered some spare caps myself last week for June Road Atlanta event... Also planning to add 2 bottles of water wetter after draining equivalent amount of coolant. Hoping the water wetter plus new GT500 cooling fan will get me through the weekend. Have been reading the oil cooler thread updates just in case........
And a #2 flat head screwdriver to pull your grille if necessary :)

Z20WHAT said:
Let us know if the fan keeps the coolant cooler. It's on my never ending list of mods.

Only added coolant when I am removing/replacing parts. No fluid loss ever. With 40k miles. Water wetter user here. Good idea regarding radiator cap replacement on hand.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have the GT500 fan set and I don't know what difference it has made but by looking at it you can see that it will pull more air through. What I do know helps is the fact that my tunes have always had the fan programmed to turn on while moving at 180 degrees vs 210 deg stock. Gets mores air moving across the radiator between those two temps before its already getting too hot. I rarely see over 215 degrees on track at the end of a session, even with 90 degree air temps. I wonder if this is one of the track key parameters.
Steve

Well Rick, today as you know it was about 95-97 out at Thunderhill during our session right before lunch and I didn't have any cooling issues. I think every little thing helps. I have the '12 "S" grill, which helps, the custom lower grill which likely hurts, and short shifted for the most part. Those things plus the new GT500 fan kept everything reasonable. I went a little slower that last session since I had a passenger as well. I think I saw about 235 or 240 on the analog gauge in the center pod. That's water in the upper hose. If I had stayed for the final session after lunch when it really warmed up I might have seen more of a problem. No idea of oil temps. Ignorance is bliss! :)

I'll keep y'all posted on my results... Assuming the AiM Solo DL I ordered gets here in time, I plan to have data to back up any impressions from reading gauges at speed. Ideally I'll run first day with OEM fan and then 2nd day with GT500 fan. If ambient temps are drastically different, may not make the experiment worthwhile... Stay tuned.

TMO Supporting Vendors