The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How the new GT will Beat the Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Given that this doesn't represent the cost to Ford, here's how they might offer the 2015 or 2016 model that will beat the Boss 444hp http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-50-aluminator-xs-engine.html

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have to agree , that with less weight and an independent rear suspension and large brake rotors, it will likely be quicker out of the box. The Boss gave Ford alot of great ideas and can't fault them for building on them with the new car!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Let's hope the recent tests against the General's machines with humongous rubber on the ground will get Ford to put a decent set of wide tires on the " Performance Package!?"

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Bill Pemberton said:
Let's hope the recent tests against the General's machines with humongous rubber on the ground will get Ford to put a decent set of wide tires on the " Performance Package!?"

While I agree with that assessment, I believe Ford is ultimately more concerned with offering the best compromise between handling, ride, and steering feel (refinement), all of which equate to NOT getting the type and size of tires that would be on-par with what GM is offering. Couple this with the fact that GM can also offer the magnetic ride control to cover up any harshness caused by the larger rubber (which Ford cannot compete with at this point) and there you have it.

Fortunately this is an easy problem (tire size) to solve in the aftermarket, and may help keep MSRPs down; there will likely continue to be a gap in ultimate performance and handling (stock vs. stock) while Ford continues with this strategy.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Bill Pemberton said:

I doubt it. The Track Pack GT I saw had the same Boss P Zero 255/40-19s on the front and 275/40-19s in the rear.

I like to think that Ford knows that building 'ringer' cars doesn't help *real* racers and track enthusiasts. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors