The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to completely disable ESC for track days?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repost. I accidently posted this in S550 forum by mistake.

Post refers to mostly track day S197 occassionaly driven on street. I know you can swap Boss302R/S ABS module but they are almost impossible to find.

We all know when you disable the traction control on your Mustang by holding the button with your foot on the brake for 10 seconds that the traction control light comes on but that the function is not really turned off. It can reactivate, usually on track when you don't want it to activate. It happened to me on track in my 2011 Mustang GT. It caused me to spin and almost hit the wall, I've searched multiple sites and I've found everywhere where there was an explanation of how to completely deactivate the system the posts have been taken down. Some lawyer must have gotten involved. I'm particularly interested in the ABS module pin 5 modification that disables the ESC but keeps the ABS on. Please post how to do this mod or PM me with info. Thanks

20220110_131425[1].jpg

Vetracer Wrote: "I'm particularly interested in the ABS module pin 5 modification that disables the ESC but keeps the ABS on."
I have to ask, what pin 5 mod ? Pin 5 is a Can+ wire. I have no clue what that is. Pin 30 is the Reset/Off switch. That turns it a ALL off. Without the Boss302R/S abs unit. There is no why to turn off just the Traction control as far as I know.

Vetracer Wrote: "I'm particularly interested in the ABS module pin 5 modification that disables the ESC but keeps the ABS on."

I have to ask, what pin 5 mod ? Pin 5 is a Can+ wire. I have no clue what that is. Pin 30 is the Reset/Off switch. That turns it a ALL off. Without the Boss302R/S abs unit. There is no why to turn off just the Traction control as far as I know.
My understanding and from looking at wiring diagram is that pin 5 is Can bus positive line. Disconnecting line before start causes fault condition that disables traction control because ABS module can't receive traction control commands. ABS module is powered up and ABS sensors still work as does ABS. Following is original post describing modification. I take no responsibility for accuracy of post. I'm just trying to find if people other than original poster can verify if mod works

J jande063 Established Member Sep 5, 2016

I have found a simple, and free solution to the Advancetrac reactivation issues that we have all experienced when driving a late model S197 on a track at speed. All you need to do is depin number five from the ABS connector, and it will cause the system to error out, and fail to boot. The reason for this is that Advance trac requires communications via high speed CAN to and from the Restraints Control Module (RCM), and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), and pin five is one of those four lines. Once the line has been disconnected, Advancetrac cannot be activated, but you will still have ABS funtionality.

Upon startup, you should see the following warning lights: TPMS (this may be specific to my car since I am missing sensors), yellow ABS light, yellow stability light (not the one that pops up when traction control is deactivated), red handbrake warning light, and the Service Advancetrac message in the display center.

I have put about five hundred track miles on the car since doing this (with race pads and r comps, the combo that causes this error the most easily), and have not had any issues. I am currently testing to determine whether it is possible to mount a relay in the CAN line to easily switch Advancetrac to and from a full off state, without adding too much resistance for the network to operate correctly.

Q) You're definitely positive that ABS remains functional? A lot of people will be very happy to learn this if so

A) Yes, ABS does still function, it was tested at Autumnfest at NCCAR by me on r comps and Hawks, and then again at last weekends NASA SE event at the same facility by a friend on my Rivals and G-Locs.

Make sure to pull pin 5, and not 4. 4 is the front right wheel speed sensor, and while advancetrac will still die, you will only have ABS on three corners.
This is what you should see on your dashboard when done correctly. The TPMS light may or may not come on for you, I don’t have any TPMS sensors.

Dash.jpg

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It might be much easier just to get the TC turned off in a tune. I have a race tune by Shaun at AED and that fixed my TC woes. You get a safer tune with more power, plus no TC.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just read this again.... would not leave a wheel with out abs.... Could get very expensive flat spotting a slick or even worse, crashing the car.... dangerous. Just tune it out.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Just read this again.... would not leave a wheel with out abs.... Could get very expensive flat spotting a slick or even worse, crashing the car.... dangerous. Just tune it out.

When you say tune it out. care to elaborate. I am very interested in doing this. I have a tuner however not sure it would do this.

J jande063 Established Member Sep 5, 2016

I have found a simple, and free solution to the Advancetrac reactivation issues that we have all experienced when driving a late model S197 on a track at speed. All you need to do is depin number five from the ABS connector, and it will cause the system to error out, and fail to boot. The reason for this is that Advance trac requires communications via high speed CAN to and from the Restraints Control Module (RCM), and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), and pin five is one of those four lines. Once the line has been disconnected, Advancetrac cannot be activated, but you will still have ABS funtionality.

Upon startup, you should see the following warning lights: TPMS (this may be specific to my car since I am missing sensors), yellow ABS light, yellow stability light (not the one that pops up when traction control is deactivated), red handbrake warning light, and the Service Advancetrac message in the display center.

I have put about five hundred track miles on the car since doing this (with race pads and r comps, the combo that causes this error the most easily), and have not had any issues. I am currently testing to determine whether it is possible to mount a relay in the CAN line to easily switch Advancetrac to and from a full off state, without adding too much resistance for the network to operate correctly.

Q) You're definitely positive that ABS remains functional? A lot of people will be very happy to learn this if so

A) Yes, ABS does still function, it was tested at Autumnfest at NCCAR by me on r comps and Hawks, and then again at last weekends NASA SE event at the same facility by a friend on my Rivals and G-Locs.

Make sure to pull pin 5, and not 4. 4 is the front right wheel speed sensor, and while advancetrac will still die, you will only have ABS on three corners.
This is what you should see on your dashboard when done correctly. The TPMS light may or may not come on for you, I don’t have any TPMS sensors.

View attachment 71824
That could be good info to know since the ABS units are out of stock right now. Thank you for sharing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
When you say tune it out. care to elaborate.
Unless you can do your own custom tunes, you'll need to contact a custom tuner. For example a stock SCT tuner has various user configurable options but disabling ESC is not among them.

You can ask your tuner to give you a street tune with the ESC left in the stock configuration and a Track Tune with the ESC disabled. When you load the Track Tune, you'll get all the dashboard warning lights that the Pin 5 mod will give you but then when you prepare to drive home you can load your street tune again and have the safety of ESC available for your drive home or your drives at home.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
When you say tune it out. care to elaborate. I am very interested in doing this. I have a tuner however not sure it would do this.
Its not on the SCT tuner unfortunately. But I checked with a tuner friend and he said with HPtuners you can access the % threshold for TC and just leave it at zero. this leaves TC 100% off with the same dash lights on like the ABS module. I got mine turned off as part of a custom tune with AED.

Funny, I had asked Lund if it can be turned off and they said no. Have had the AED tune for several years now and its worked 100%.

Does the pin 5 mod disable your airbags/restraint control?
M-2535-CA is the correct part number for the Boss302R/S ABS module. I too am concerned that disabling the traction control by the pin 5 Can Bus disruption will effect the deployment of the air bags. The one thing I did notice is that in the screen shot of the dash after the pin 5 mod the air bag light was not illuminated indicating the self check and thus operation was not effected.

M-2535-CA is the correct part number for the Boss302R/S ABS module. I too am concerned that disabling the traction control by the pin 5 Can Bus disruption will effect the deployment of the air bags. The one thing I did notice is that in the screen shot of the dash after the pin 5 mod the air bag light was not illuminated indicating the self check and thus operation was not effected.
One more question. If you replace the module do you still have to go through the press the brake pedal while holding the traction control button to disable the traction control on a factory wiring harness car? The Boss 302R/S cars used an AIM dash unit, not a stock dash or harness so there were no buttons to push.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
my favorite way to disable it is by not having it...

:D

TMO Supporting Vendors