The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to cut front bumper off 2009 GT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
I purchased the Ford Performance front race bumper and tow ring a couple months ago. When it finally quit raining this weekend I started to install it. Bumper cover came off easily, and I had some related work I needed to do on it. Got the eight bolts out of the stock bumper and opened a ten-pack of cutting wheels. I went through four in under fifteen minutes and barely touched the welded-on bumper. Grabbed a Sawzall and some heavy duty metal cutting blades. I could almost hear the car laughing. For those who have replaced the stock bumper, what did you use to get it off? I don't really want to trust the car to a body shop--much less pay for demolition work. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I purchased the Ford Performance front race bumper and tow ring a couple months ago. When it finally quit raining this weekend I started to install it. Bumper cover came off easily, and I had some related work I needed to do on it. Got the eight bolts out of the stock bumper and opened a ten-pack of cutting wheels. I went through four in under fifteen minutes and barely touched the welded-on bumper. Grabbed a Sawzall and some heavy duty metal cutting blades. I could almost hear the car laughing. For those who have replaced the stock bumper, what did you use to get it off? I don't really want to trust the car to a body shop--much less pay for demolition work. Thanks in advance for your advice.
There’s 4 spot weld that need to be drilled out with a spot weld bit - example below. The angle on one of them is a bit challenging if I recall, but really didn’t take long.

IMG_8173.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
There’s 4 spot weld that need to be drilled out with a spot weld bit - example below. The angle on one of them is a bit challenging if I recall, but really didn’t take long.
Have the bit. I was trying to cut the mounting plate from the bumper itself. To be clear, the red arrows point to two of the spot welds? Thanks again for your help.Inked20230529_153300.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Have the bit. I was trying to cut the mounting plate from the bumper itself. To be clear, the red arrows point to two of the spot welds? Thanks again for your help.View attachment 86628
Here’s a pic from the backside - there's actually 3 spot welds per side - 2 on the top, 1 on the outside bottom.

IMG_8176.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
Here’s a pic from the backside - there's actually 3 spot welds per side - 2 on the top, 1 on the outside bottom.
Thanks very much for the tip(s). Bit worked perfectly and got the new bumper installed and buttoned up everything last night. My car must have been a Friday build--only had two welds on the passenger side.

TMO Supporting Vendors