The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How To Go From Staggered To Square

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
A front/rear set of Strano bars will do the trick, and I've run them a couple years. Front full stiff. Don't remember where my rear bar is set.
I'm sure other brand sets will work too.

If you've got FRPP LCA relo brackets, things get sorta close together back there, but no contact. Whiteline may be worth looking into because of how their bar mounts.

Yup strano sways and end links. Steeda competition springs, tokico struts and shocks and fays 2 watts link at one notch below center. Set, 1 turn out from full stiff up front and 4.5 out in the rear.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

drano38 said:
A front/rear set of Strano bars will do the trick, and I've run them a couple years. Front full stiff. Don't remember where my rear bar is set.
I'm sure other brand sets will work too.

If you've got FRPP LCA relo brackets, things get sorta close together back there, but no contact. Whiteline may be worth looking into because of how their bar mounts.

I'd read that there may not be enough room between the Strano rear bar and the WL relo brackets. The Eibach allows more room but is $100 more. Has anyone tried the Strano rear with the WL bracket?

Strano notes that they won't fit with all relocation brackets, so they must know which ones will. They do sell the Steeda brackets. I called to ask and they said the person who would know will be in next Wednesday.

drano38

Wayne
The Strano rear bar and FRPP relo brackets work, but its close.
I don't remember right now, but I think I put sway bar bolts from the bracket to the sway bar end in backwards compared to Strano's instructions--my bolt heads are on the tire side rather than to the center of the car. Problem is I need to remove the brackets to change swaybar stiffness. Good news is I've never had to changed it.
Whiteline rear solves all of this if their bar fits your upgrade goals. I don't know how stiff it is compared to others.

I went with 20mm rear sway bar (2005-2009 GT take-off) for $70 and I could not be happier.
The best results were seen with all dampers set to 5. The installation was very easy too!

Is there really any clear advantage with any of these brands? Eibach vs Steeda vs Whiteline vs Strano? I guess the advantage for me would be made in USA first, supporting fellow racers second. So unless there is a significant advantage it's down to Strano?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
WinterSucks said:
Is there really any clear advantage with any of these brands? Eibach vs Steeda vs Whiteline vs Strano? I guess the advantage for me would be made in USA first, supporting fellow racers second. So unless there is a significant advantage it's down to Strano?

I have Strano bars and I have zero issues with them.

HOWEVER, if I were to do it again, I would go with the Whiteline setup if, for no other reason, it would allow me to run wider rear tires / wheels without rubbing. Currently, with 18x10s and 305s I do get some rubbing on the Strano bar unless the rear axle is 100% absolutely, nutz-positive centered (very hard to do on the garage floor). Rubbing isn't bad... but you can definitely see where I've removed the paint from the bar and you can see shiny spots on the inner tire sidewall.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
SUPRMN said:
I am thankful for all the posts and comments on this topic! I sure hope it helps those who are considering a change from staggered to square.

The reason I posted was because I'm considering a purchase of 4 tires from Rehagen Racing which are all 275's. I'd put all four on the car but would not change the suspension any. What problems would I come across?

I'm trying not to use the set of BFG Rivals I have on the car now other than occasional autocross and daily driving. Have always wanted to try slicks but am apprehensive in doing so because of the lack of experience running on them. I've got a 2-day track event coming in May so need to decide on something soon.

I'd be very inclined to take the advice that Gary ( Cloud 9 ) gave regarding the use of squared slicks on a stock suspension. You could probably get away with it.....with a moderate pace. But when pushing it....it would bite you with oversteer....meaning you'd be spinning out. I went square set up with 305mm-650 X 18" Continental GT-O slicks....but I've completely redone my suspension and have adjusted the front and rear sway bars and dampers according to what the guys here have found to be very good settings. Running a square set up of slicks, with a suspension that is set up for them, is almost beyond description when compared to the stock suspension and the lovely P-Zero's. The overall track experience becomes exponentially improved with slicks and upgraded suspension.

Follow the advice of the experts and pioneers found on this site....and you'll stay safe and be extremely happy.

Wayne

I am now down to Whiteline vs Strano. I like that the Whiteline comes with end links for only $40 more. But I like how the Strano comes with nice bushing mounts instead of just cramming in the urethane inserts in the stock, most likely very thin, mounts. I am not too worried about weight, I just want to keep the balance so I don't have an incident. And if the end links are really unnecessary I can still save money buying the Whiteline without them.

On a stock LS Boss, would adding a FRONT Strano bar (only) be enough firming up the front end to go square tires?
In other words; does anyone has clue about the spring rate of the Strano frt sway bar (in each of the three positions) vs the OEM frt sway bar of a stock LS car?

Strano has some numbers he measured for the stock non-LS boss. I installed my Strano front and just put it on the lowest of the three. Have not been able to test on track though. I did some math which indicates the lowest setting keeps the original amount of grip with square. But it's probably not valid math lol. Sam suggested the middle setting which is quite stiff compared to stock.

OK, here is what I have settled on for a square "track" setup. I am running 305/660R18 Pirelli P-Zero slicks all around on 18x11 Forgestar C-5's. I have the stock Boss 302 shocks/struts set on 5 with Ford Racing P springs. I have an Eibach 36MM adjustable front sway bar set on full. MM camber plates set to 2.7 degrees camber, 0 toe. In the rear for sway bar I am running the 18mm Ford take-off bar. I also run SPC lower control arms mounted to Ford Racing relo brackets using the middle hole. My UCA is UPR Pro Street adj upper & mount. PHB is BMR adj. This is the best my car has ever handled. Granted, a lot has to do with the tires, but if you figure different brand tires in same sizes should react the same with this setup. Perfect rotation and unbelievable grip all around. No oversteer or understeer. Before this setup I was thinking about going to different shocks/struts and springs, but at this point I do not see any reason to switch.

WinterSucks said:
I am now down to Whiteline vs Strano. I like that the Whiteline comes with end links for only $40 more. But I like how the Strano comes with nice bushing mounts instead of just cramming in the urethane inserts in the stock, most likely very thin, mounts. I am not too worried about weight, I just want to keep the balance so I don't have an incident. And if the end links are really unnecessary I can still save money buying the Whiteline without them.

They're both good. The end links are necessary to prevent binding. Weight the suspension on ramps and adjust one of the endlinks to the correct length.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel