The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to know when ABS is triggered?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So this seems like a dumb question but here I am asking it. I was bedding in my ST43’s and was getting what felt like a slowish abs pulsation under hard braking with some associated wandering but no lights were coming on. Seems like abs but the pulsing was not as fast or loud as I’ve felt in other cars. Never triggered it in this car prior that I’m aware of. Or maybe i have and it’s just different than I’m used to.

Any insight appreciated.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I guess in general, the Mustang ABS is not as noticible as in some other cars.. My older cars, a BMW 540 and Alfa 164 are far far more pronounced in feeling on the pedal.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Boone NC
I’ve only felt it at the end of the straights at VIR and Road Atlanta, hard braking from 130+. It feels like a subtle fast shaking or pulsing of the brake pedal to me.

When I bed in pads I don’t brake hard enough to get into ABS. Maybe I should! :)

Thanks guys. Yeah I expected it to feel like you described ncpeds. This was a bit slower. I also changed my MC and have not bled the ABS unit since I don't have Forscan yet so maybe I should nerd out and get going with Forscan so I can bleed the ABS unit just to be sure.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
A couple of times when I've bedded brakes I've had vertical bands of pad material develop and it makes the pedal pulse in a way that could be mistaken for ABS activity. That built up material wears off quickly on the track and it seems to have no short or long term consequence in brake effectiveness and pad life. It is inconsistent in whether it happens or not and I've no idea what causes it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel