The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to lift your car from the jack points...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After seeing that other weird jack video, I thought I'd post how I lift up my car.

I've read about 1000 posts where people debate the safest points from which to lift the car. The only Ford-recommended points are the pinch welds where the emergency jack goes.

But how do you get your jack stand where the jack needs to go?

With some wood, and four of these:

P1030288.jpg

The idea is to get about 6 inches of wood under each tire so you can fit the jack stands under the pinch welds.

P1030293.jpg

P1030297.jpg

P1030300.jpg

As a warning, you've got to be careful if you lift in the wrong order. Remember that the front wheels will roll, and as you can see I don't have wheel chocks on mine. I should.

Here's my process: Parking brake on, raise the rear tires up on blocks, then raise the front onto blocks, then installing all four jackstands and gently lift the car off of the blocks.

These things were only like $30 from tractor supply company. I bought one locally and got three more shipped for $108.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/powerbuiltreg%3B-3-ton-jack-amp%3B-jack-stand?cm_vc=-10005

Seemed like a fair price to be able to lift your car from the proper lift points.

Thoughts?

isrboss

In my opinion that lift stand has too small of a contact point for the pinch weld. Jacking the S197 chassis is not as difficult as most are making it out to be.

I use a 2x4x10" on top of my race jack pad, jack the front at the pinch weld points, set the jack stands under the subframe with 2x4x10" on top of the stands, jack the rear at the diff, then place stands with 2x4x10" on top at the pinch welds.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3L4H_mrhIuaTXh0Vl9EQmsxSGs/edit?usp=sharing

TMO Supporting Vendors