The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to remove 50 lbs from front end of Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trying to get some ideas for removing 50 lbs from the front of the car for adding a supercharger take in mind I am a mchinist and can make any brackets if it would make a real difference. Ok adding a supercharger that will in the end put 50 extra pounds on the front of the car I would like to balance it out. Already put a sub in the trunk just one 10" in a small box but removed the weight difference with mufflers and a few other odds and ends now for the front. Any help or ideas would be great.

lower radiator support
lightweight bumper or swiss cheese the current one.
ditch the a/c
ditch the current braking system/abs
hole saw does wonders to non structural / non safety support areas.

just throwing stuff out there......

SMACK78 said:
how much does the battery weigh ???

This could be a great start I believe the stock one is pretty heavy plus I could relocate a lighter one in the rear.

I SHOULD ADD NO IDEAS THAT WOULD BE CHOPPING THE CAR UP ;D

carbon fiber hood will prolly net you 30 of it right there by itself

they make a carbon fiber bodied battery also. but its kinda exspensive for a item that is going to need replacement
but there light

Steeda radiator support: 10lbs removed
JPC bumper support: 10lbs
Wind shield wiper resiorvor: 8lbs (full)
Wind shield wipers and motor: 7lbs
Girodisc front rotors: 10lbs
Strut tower brace: 8lbs if removed

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You sure you're only adding 50lbs? You've got the blower assembly, lower manifold, intercooler, and the weight of all the fluids for the intercooler/radiator as well.

sounds like gremlins braille batt and a CF hood should put you over your weght requirement. or should i say under ;D Which charger you going with? Any HP expectations?

ArizonaGT said:
You sure you're only adding 50lbs? You've got the blower assembly, lower manifold, intercooler, and the weight of all the fluids for the intercooler/radiator as well.

After taking off some and adding the new it is supposed to add right around 50 pounds I am sure it would be give or take a few. Atleast this is what I was told 2.8 Kennebell blower.

SMACK78 said:
sounds like gremlins braille batt and a CF hood should put you over your weght requirement. or should i say under ;D Which charger you going with? Any HP expectations?

No real expectations just 8 lbs boost should be good I believe that is their stock unit for the Boss.

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/SC_pg/Mustang%205.0%20(2011)/layouts/Mustang2011.htm

You can get the Braille ones a lot cheaper if you get them from the source, I don't recall who makes them or what the model number is but someone figured it out on another forum.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Jeep,

Have you considered using forged aluminum wheels and possibly an aluminum flywheel?
Moving the battery to the rear will save a bunch. I think I saw somewhere someone sells a kit to do this.

MMD

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
If you get the alum drive shaft that there is worth about 17lbs. You could also go tubular K-member and tubular A-arms. Coil overs up front will shed some weight. Move the battery to the rear get a dynabatt http://www.summitracing.com/search/Product-Line/Davis-Unified-Ignition-Dyna-Batt-Batteries/
I would think that would get you close.

So far I am going to move the battery to the rear with a lighter battery. The aluminum drive shaft is second that should balance out the battery some. a good start.

jeepinocala said:
ArizonaGT said:

After taking off some and adding the new it is supposed to add right around 50 pounds I am sure it would be give or take a few. Atleast this is what I was told 2.8 Kennebell blower.
I'm pretty sure you're looking at more like 100 lbs. My 2.3L TVS blower weighs 50lbs alone. I'm not sure about the KB, but I would think it weighs at least as much. Then add in the intercooler, heat exchanger, intercooler reservoir and at least a couple gallons of fluid and I think you'll be close to 100 lbs.

TMO Supporting Vendors