The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to remove or change side pipe restrictor plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tools needed. 15MM wrench and 15MM socket and ratchet(I used a deep well so I wouldnt have to use an extension)
419905_366943553338222_524528851_n.jpg

Step one raise vehicle I used a set of car ramps from the front or rear I choose the front this time
64351_366946230004621_1257812871_n.jpg

Step two remove the two nuts at the flange and the bolt that holds the tip near the rocker panel edge
419529_366945723338005_2111994959_n.jpg

422984_366945366671374_806724411_n.jpg

Step Three remove the side pipe assembly
424535_366945080004736_183134468_n.jpg

Step four remove stock restrictor plate (if not installing a different sized plate skip to step six)
423721_366944720004772_775994150_n.jpg

Step five install new sized restrictor plate (3/4" plate shown in picture)
425248_366944366671474_258212529_n.jpg

Step six re install side pipe by first slipping over studs on flange then threading the rear bolt and loosely tighten bolt and nuts. check clearance you should be able to get you hand around the pipe from front to back adjust as necessary. Once clearance is good tighten all nuts and bolt down and recheck clearance.
420810_366944036671507_587383121_n.jpg

422984_366945366671374_806724411_n.jpg

Step seven repeat steps one-six for opposite side then lower vehicle and you are done. now wasnt that easy?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
boss2511 said:
zero said:
So is 1/2 or 5/8 much of an improvement over stock ?
yes. just go out there and take them out see how you like that easy to revert.
See post #33. ;)
lol opps go with 3/4 I have them in my tool box they were good but with the trackey they werent as good as the idle was still to quite. hard to explain just have to try it to see what I am talking about. you could always go with the QTP 302 electric cut outs with the wireless remote then you can put them exactly where you want them at any time

zero said:
So is 1/2 or 5/8 much of an improvement over stock ?

Yes, there is a big difference. While some of the guys trying to help say to get the 3/4's it may not be for everyone. They do sound great but almost everyone loves the sound of the discs they are using. I have had many people tell me the 1/2 is just what they were looking for.

Have you seen this thread, it has some youtube vids of my car with different size discs in it. It is the best I can do but not perfect. Try not to listen too hard to each one but let the sound be an after thought, if that makes sense. You may have to play them a few times to get a good idea. If you have any questions feel free to email me (below) or PM me here.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/after-market-discs/

Torque Specs thanks to PTRocks

Torque Specifications

Description : Nm/lb-ft
Exhaust side pipe bolts (Boss® 302) : 25/18
Exhaust side pipe-to-exhaust H-pipe nuts (Boss® 302) : 40/30
Torca® clamp nut (Boss® 302) : 48/35

Yeah i have been way over torquing the H pipes then. Mine were really tight from the factory, so I tried to replicate it. My brake bleeders on the right side were waaay over tight too.

I may have missed it in the thread, but where can I get the various size discs? Are they available from local Ford dealer parts counter? BTW, just yesterday I picked up 2013 Boss #182, PW, R/T C/M. Finally got one, after waiting through 2012 production and not ending up with one until now.

Thanks. I see his note regarding aftermarket. But on a new car, I am always concerned about putting aftermarket parts in the car, due to warranty concerns. Not uncommon for a car manufacturer to to the position that even the smallest aftermarket bolt-on part will void the car's warranty. Anyone know if Ford is making these available?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
DBRSFO said:
Thanks. I see his note regarding aftermarket. But on a new car, I am always concerned about putting aftermarket parts in the car, due to warranty concerns. Not uncommon for a car manufacturer to to the position that even the smallest aftermarket bolt-on part will void the car's warranty. Anyone know if Ford is making these available?
read this
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
DBRSFO said:

Since Ford is fully behind the removal of the plates altogether then using various size discs will have no impact on your warranty coverage either. And as for voiding of warranty, there have been MANY posts on this topic. Bottom line is the use of 3'rd party parts is not a reason for a manufacturer to void the warranty, and any automobile manufacturer (including Ford) needs to prove the part caused the warranty issue in question unless the car's warranty specifically states that only a specific OEM part can be used. For example, Ford states that ONLY synthetic 5W-50 motor oil can be used in the Boss, however they do not state that is has to be Motorcraft oil.

PM 2012YellowBoss and he can hook you up with plates of almost any size I presume.

They do require the oil to meet the B version of their oil spec iirc.

Despite what the law says, and what you may be able to fight to get, there are some manufacturers that will refuse warranty work because of basic mods like axle backs. I haven't heard of Ford doing it, but Mitsubishi did. If DBRSFO is coming from a car community like that (as I was) then concerns about warranty are expected. It got bad enough some dealers here were boycotted and one issued a public apology.

Yes, Boss 2511, I know about the Magnuson Moss warranty act. I studied it in law school 34 years ago. On the few occasions that I have tried to invoke its protections, there was generally laughter from the seller, and something along the lines of "Tell it to the Judge". Unfortunately, unless one wants to spend his life savings fighting a lawsuit against a company with much deeper pockets, it is generally not of any practical use to a consumer. I do not see anything in my new car materials or owner's manual, even the Boss supplement or Track Key materials from Ford Racing, that condone, or even address, removing the plates, so I think the warranty issue is still open. But I do agree it would be very bad form, and certainly unexpected, if Ford denied warranty coverage for plate removal or change. That is why I asked if Ford supplies any other plate sizes directly. It would indicate they condone switching plates and clearly remove any warranty issue from the table.

Doesn't it talk about removal in the track prep section? Though they would be more likely to void the warranty for track use than removing the baffles.

CaliMR said:
Doesn't it talk about removal in the track prep section? Though they would be more likely to void the warranty for track use than removing the baffles.
Not sure about the track prep section but it definately mentions to remove them in the TK instructions. Of course that's really aftermarket. ;) Any modifications to the exhaust discs aren't going to void your warranty.

Thanks guys for the remarks, I have spoke with several people who work for Ford and while in life nothing is absolute they told me they can see no conceivable reason what-so-ever that using different size discs would effect warranty in any way.

Side pipes (IMHO) are not functional on a Boss, they are there for sound. Given that there is nothing you can do to them that would hurt the car including capping them off as some people have done.

DBRSFO, I will drop you a PM.

Removed mine first thing yesterday, man what a sound this car has now! I was really disappointed in the sound before I removed the stock plates... Now this sounds like a BOSS!!!

Thanks Justin for the step by step. Super easy to remove the plates. When I took mine off, I'd say 1/2 cup of water poured out of each side.

I think it sounds great now and really just a touch louder. ;)Wife says it sounds a teeny bit loud. Me: "well,we can't have that harmful water just sitting in there...guess we'll just have to live with it".

hehehe. ;)

Shock Boss said:
Thanks Justin for the step by step. Super easy to remove the plates. When I took mine off, I'd say 1/2 cup of water poured out of each side.

I think it sounds great now and really just a touch louder. ;)Wife says it sounds a teeny bit loud. Me: "well,we can't have that harmful water just sitting in there...guess we'll just have to live with it".

hehehe. ;)
Well if it becomes too loud at fwy speeds I know where you can get the discs. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors