The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

How to remove the clutch assist spring the easy way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I made a video of how to remove the spring using a pair of needle nose vice grips. it is by far the easiest way to remove this spring or reinstall it. I have seen on youtube that it seems ford decided to put this spring in the 2013-2014 GT500's and they in turn are having the same problems as we are with the pedal sticking to the floor.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
RoushF150 said:
Well I did it this morning. Just like Justin said.

It took me longer to slide my Recaro back to the right spot than to remove the spring.
yeah cause this is the things I have seen posted as to how to remove it......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDFq9OMrMNE[/youtube]

Justin said:
yeah cause this is the things I have seen posted as to how to remove it......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDFq9OMrMNE[/youtube]

Crazy. I had seen this too and that is why mine wasn't done. I am a pretty heavy/older guy and don't fit to well under there and I would have struggled getting it done. Your way was a breeze. Thanks again. I owe you one.

Great video, thanks for putting it together.

Well, I tried to follow the instructions per Justin's awesome video and it didn't work for me. I tried three different times for a total of about an hour in 100+ F temps, jammed upside-down in the floorboard of my car, arms shaking from holding the clutch down for so long at bizarre angles. I'm broad-shouldered and around two-hundy, so it wasn't easy. I just couldn't get enough leverage or force to pull down on the spring assempbly. If you watch Justin's video, you can see he is also having to generate a bit of force.

I finally threw-in the towel and followed the other instructions (video) posted in this thread. The video isn't done as well and is a little confusing, because of weird camera angles and such. But after I had watched it a couple of times and done a couple of freeze-frames, I went out and did the whole operation with zero stress in five minutes flat.

Justin doesn't get a royalty every time you use his method, so if it doesn't work for you, I'm saying don't be afraid of the super-scary other method. It's actually breeze. ;)

As for the feel - I don't like it. I don't mind the added effort per se, but because I have run with a certain amount of force for two years, now the clutch feels like it is in a failure mode. In other words, a stiff clutch in an ordinary car generally means it is on its way out. If the Boss had always had a stiff clutch, some added stiffness would be no big deal.

The other bizarre and unexpected effect is that the pedal travel feels reduced. By a lot. I know it isn't, but that is how it feels. So now I have a stiff, short travel clutch. Again, that is usually how clutches feel when I test drive used cars. Bleh. :eek:

I am going to give it some time to see if I get used to it, but I will probably put the spring back. I bet a spring with less rate would be a nice compromise. ;)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Jimmy Pribble said:
Well, I tried to follow the instructions per Justin's awesome video and it didn't work for me. I tried three different times for a total of about an hour in 100+ F temps, jammed upside-down in the floorboard of my car, arms shaking from holding the clutch down for so long at bizarre angles. I'm broad-shouldered and around two-hundy, so it wasn't easy. I just couldn't get enough leverage or force to pull down on the spring assempbly. If you watch Justin's video, you can see he is also having to generate a bit of force.

I finally threw-in the towel and followed the other instructions (video) posted in this thread. The video isn't done as well and is a little confusing, because of weird camera angles and such. But after I had watched it a couple of times and done a couple of freeze-frames, I went out and did the whole operation with zero stress in five minutes flat.

Justin doesn't get a royalty every time you use his method, so if it doesn't work for you, I'm saying don't be afraid of the super-scary other method. It's actually breeze. ;)

As for the feel - I don't like it. I don't mind the added effort per se, but because I have run with a certain amount of force for two years, now the clutch feels like it is in a failure mode. In other words, a stiff clutch in an ordinary car generally means it is on its way out. If the Boss had always had a stiff clutch, some added stiffness would be no big deal.

The other bizarre and unexpected effect is that the pedal travel feels reduced. By a lot. I know it isn't, but that is how it feels. So now I have a stiff, short travel clutch. Again, that is usually how clutches feel when I test drive used cars. Bleh. :eek:

I am going to give it some time to see if I get used to it, but I will probably put the spring back. I bet a spring with less rate would be a nice compromise. ;)
sorry you couldnt get my method to work. i really dont have to pull down that hard. its hard to pull on with it out of the car. i am a small guy so its easy to get my arms up in there. and i have been told I have vice grip like hand strength lol.

Jimmy Pribble said:

I went under there prepared with a screwdriver to use as a lever because this 285# old guy isn't too strong any more. By hand it wouldn't budge but with the screwdriver it just clapsed a little bit and jumped out. Took seconds to do.

I also noticed the slightly stiffer pressure needed but the feeling is much better and uniform. I moved the seat up one notch closer to the dash so I can ensure I push it all the way in. Try changing your seat location because the change you made may warrant that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65nNcNiwJHM[/youtube]

It's all good. I bet most guys won't have any trouble. I also have Oddjob hand strength, but I still need grip and leverage. You know how you hooked the top of the assembly with two fingers? I could never do that. Hand size, bad angle, or other interference, I could never get that grip and that is what was sinking me.

No matter the method, this is an easy mod to try and just as easy to return to stock if you don't like it.

roadhouse said:
Fantastic! Thanks for posting Justin, I shall try this again. I was unsuccessful on my first attempt with a screwdriver.

In the "hard" method, the screwdriver is just to help remove a little retaining clip. Everything else is done by hand.

TMO Supporting Vendors