The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HPDE 197or550 I am looking to buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Hey all,

I am in the market after selling my GT350 last week. Looking to buy a dedicated track/hpde car. Living around an hour from Road america and Blackhawk farms I found myself going to about 12 track days this year. Invested in a truck and a trailer as well as everything needed to track a car. 2022 looking to do near 20 track days.

My question is... I have a 30k max budget. Would really like to spend like 23k-25k. As this is a track forum. Whats the better platform at that price range to start building a track/hpde car. Found plenty for sale in both the 197 and 550 cars at that price point.

That being said I sold the 350 due to cost...cost of insurance, cost of parts, and honestly the car was MINT. Want to get something I dont care about as much and is more of a tool then a showpiece. Plus I can afford to track the car a bunch with no worries financially and cosmetically.

Andy

Look for a street car that has already been modified
As for which generation, it depend on your budget
Otherwise base PP1 is a good start
At a minimum you will need:
Racing seat
Racing harness
Suspension ( ford racing track suspension kit is a great product)
Oil cooler (I’m partial to Harrop)
Wheels and tires. Go directly to 305 on 18x11
Camber plates
Oil separators
That would be a good start

I look at the classifieds here all of the time and have seen many tried, tracked, modified and sorted cars sell on here at your price point. One advantage is that many have been members here for some time and have posted way more things about their vehicles good, bad and fixes over time than most sellers will reveal out of the forum. I don't know how much time you have. Waiting for a few months to see what pops up might be an option. There's a nice boss that is up now. Unfortunately, it's from a new member so no forum history. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or a bad sale just light on info. A little due diligence could probably get all the info you need.

The way car prices are right now it's going to be hard to stay in that budget and modify a car that will be able to keep up with your needs, at least for a few years before you have to dump even more cash. I like what another member said about finding a street car that has been modified. I got lucky with mine already having some mods. If I would have factored in all of that it would have been another 10 grand and only paid 2 with the car price. Most cars with mods will reflect the same thing in price. Just my thoughts...

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
...dedicated track/hpde car......Invested in a truck and a trailer as well as everything needed to track a car. 2022 looking to do near 20 track days.

Would really like to spend like 23k-25k. As this is a track forum. Whats the better platform at that price range to start building a track/hpde car. F

...cost of insurance, cost of parts, and honestly the car was MINT. Want to get something I dont care about as much and is more of a tool then a showpiece..... with no worries financially and cosmetically.

Buy a used race car and give up on the street car conversion stuff. Everything is better in a purpose built racecar, everything. And you will become a better driver because the car handles like it should. Plus more power, less weight, easy chassis changes, easy to work on, lower overall costs and a ton more fun to drive.

The 197 might be overall cheaper but from what I hear from people who have owned and driven both is that the IRS in the 550 makes it all worth it.
I'd be really interested to hear more about that. Obviously the 550 is a whole generation more advanced and rides better in all areas of street driving and daily life. But I'm curious about the actual differences on track, assuming two cars with Coyote motors, good coilover suspensions, good dampers, and similar track tires. From what I've seen, the 550 seems a little quicker but maybe not hugely so?? Within the margin of error of most track day drivers?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I'd be really interested to hear more about that. Obviously the 550 is a whole generation more advanced and rides better in all areas of street driving and daily life. But I'm curious about the actual differences on track, assuming two cars with Coyote motors, good coilover suspensions, good dampers, and similar track tires. From what I've seen, the 550 seems a little quicker but maybe not hugely so?? Within the margin of error of most track day drivers?
Like I said, I heard from others. Unfortunately, I can't comment further as I personally haven't driven a 197

Like I said, I heard from others. Unfortunately, I can't comment further as I personally haven't driven a 197
I have raced many solid axle cars and on a smooth track, there is not much difference
Obviously getting negative camber on a solid axle is a bit more complicated but doable… to a point

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Look for a base with as few options as possible, you want to keep the weight down plus price is going to be lower.

I look at the classifieds here all of the time and have seen many tried, tracked, modified and sorted cars sell on here at your price point. One advantage is that many have been members here for some time and have posted way more things about their vehicles good, bad and fixes over time than most sellers will reveal out of the forum. I don't know how much time you have. Waiting for a few months to see what pops up might be an option. There's a nice boss that is up now. Unfortunately, it's from a new member so no forum history. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or a bad sale just light on info. A little due diligence could probably get all the info you need.

The way car prices are right now it's going to be hard to stay in that budget and modify a car that will be able to keep up with your needs, at least for a few years before you have to dump even more cash. I like what another member said about finding a street car that has been modified. I got lucky with mine already having some mods. If I would have factored in all of that it would have been another 10 grand and only paid 2 with the car price. Most cars with mods will reflect the same thing in price. Just my thoughts...

Thank you! Yeah for sure I have time. Winter is coming here in WI and it would just sit in the garage anyway.

I have seen both platforms for those prices. Good call on the forum cars for sale. Its nice knowing someone loved it and took care of it. I will for sure be keeping an eye on the marketplace to see what pops up.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Buy a used race car and give up on the street car conversion stuff. Everything is better in a purpose built racecar, everything. And you will become a better driver because the car handles like it should. Plus more power, less weight, easy chassis changes, easy to work on, lower overall costs and a ton more fun to drive.

I would however it still needs to be street legal. Every track hosted event requires a street car. Only the club events allow race cars.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin

From what I have read the 197 can be dialed in for around 10k. Not sure if that means its "better" than the 550.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel