The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HPDE Safety Equipment for S550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD
I also used the quickfit pro with a HANS (necksgen rev2) before moving to a rollbar and 6 point belts. Will be moving to a hybrid S over the winter since it's easier to manage and works with 3 point belts. Quickfit is also good because you retain all airbag functionality. They go in and out in a few minutes so it's a great safety option for a car that is driven to the track.

The rear brakes have the inverted rotor design which can't be cooled directly but do very little braking since the GT is heavily front bias. Stability control can interfere to an extent and heat up the rear rotors but once you're comfortable with the car's balance, track mode provides less interference but also less margin for error. You shouldn't have rear brake issues even with the less than ideal design and they are very durable. I put at least 25 track days on mine along with ~40k street miles before changing them for silly ones with squiggly grooves.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
I also used the quickfit pro with a HANS (necksgen rev2) before moving to a rollbar and 6 point belts. Will be moving to a hybrid S over the winter since it's easier to manage and works with 3 point belts. Quickfit is also good because you retain all airbag functionality. They go in and out in a few minutes so it's a great safety option for a car that is driven to the track.

The rear brakes have the inverted rotor design which can't be cooled directly but do very little braking since the GT is heavily front bias. Stability control can interfere to an extent and heat up the rear rotors but once you're comfortable with the car's balance, track mode provides less interference but also less margin for error. You shouldn't have rear brake issues even with the less than ideal design and they are very durable. I put at least 25 track days on mine along with ~40k street miles before changing them for silly ones with squiggly grooves.
Great write up, thanks for all the info!

Hello All -

I am seeking and would greatly appreciate some advice regarding HPDE safety equipment. I have several years of HPDE experience in a Porsche 911 (996) and a Porsche 944 fully prepped race car. I sold my 911 (still own the 944) and recently purchased a 2017 Mustang GT PP (love the Mustang!). My goal is to drive the Mustang to the track and have fun safely. I'm not too concerned about lap times and pushing the car to the limit, however I have a great deal of respect for the risk associated with on-track driving. I'm willing to invest the money in safety gear, however I would like to keep the car as close to stock form as possible. I've been down the slippery path of fully prepped car, truck, trailer, etc. (certainly nothing wrong with this approach. I'm just looking to simplify and move away from the fully prepped race car).

Here's a couple options I've researched:
  1. https://discoveryparts.com/simpson-...t-works-with-3-way-seat-belt-simpson-hys.html
  2. https://discoveryparts.com/ford-han...5-g6-s550-harness-schroth-quick-fit-pro-.html
Option 2 I would wear my HANS.

Also I've serviced the Mustang with the following fluids:
  • Fluids:
    - Engine: AMSOIL Signature Series 5W20
    - Transmission: AMSOIL DCT
    - Differential: AMSOIL 75w110
    - Brakes: Castrol RBF 600 (flushed and bled the system)
I'll see how the car does the first few events but I fully plan to install the necessary coolers.

Thank you all in advance for your time, I've learned a ton reading this forum!!

Cheers
Hi Nick,
I can vouch for the Schroth Quick-Fit Pro harness. I have used a few different models on my 2016 Roush Mustang GT before moving to race seats. They are very easy to install and allow you the greater safety of a 4-point harness when you are on track yet no issues with your airbag sensors going off because they provide the male inserts that go right into your female seat belt receptacle.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
Hi Nick,
I can vouch for the Schroth Quick-Fit Pro harness. I have used a few different models on my 2016 Roush Mustang GT before moving to race seats. They are very easy to install and allow you the greater safety of a 4-point harness when you are on track yet no issues with your airbag sensors going off because they provide the male inserts that go right into your female seat belt receptacle.
Thank you! I tracked the car with it last weekend. Very happy with it!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel