The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

HPDE Wet Weather Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opening up a huge can of worms on this but am looking for some feedback before I make a decision.

Have a 2013 Boss 302. 5 years ago purchased 19x9 wheels for HPDE's and wet weather tires. Ended up going with Hankook RS3 275/35. Have been through 2 sets of these and have been really happy with them.

I have about 1-2 days worth of tread on these tires left and am looking for replacements. The current RS3's (v4) are the only ones available in that size and are close to $500 a tire! Yeah you can count me out on that one.

I'd like to stick to the tires that'll go on those 19x9 wheels but if I need to move to 18x10's or something I can do that too as it may open up more tire choices.

So the QOD is what are you guys using for wet weather HPDE tires and at what sizes?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
I just got Firestone Firehawk Indy500s put on my stock wheels for the street/wet to replace the RE11s that I was using for street and track. Basically the same performance wet and dry for half the price! not quite as refined in terms of steering precision, but you cant beat the grip for the price. I went with stock sizes but they are available in 275/35R19 as well. There are a bunch of good options but most are much more expensive, and in the wet you're probably not chasing 10ths unless you're competing

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I like Michelin Pilot Super Sports in general for wet/cool weather, but would also consider Continental ExtremeContact Sports.

I wouldn't want to use the RS3s in the rain either way, even with full tread.

Luckily, it doesn't rain much here. But since most HPDE organizers don't cancel/refund for rain days I think it makes sense to have a decent set for wet conditions.

The PSS, PS4S, ECS, and even General Tire's G-Max RS are fare better in the wet than the Firestone Indy500.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I recently did a track day at Pocono in the wet. I have the older generation Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. 265/40/18 in front and 285/40/18 in the back.

They were outstanding in the rain. Drizzle to stready but no downpours. I started slow but they kept gripping. No problem getting up to, and aggressive braking from 110mph. I eventually got it up to 120 on the back straight and felt the slightest wiggle which I figured was the start of hydroplaning and then I backed off.

I understand that the new gen ExtremeContact Sport is just as good in the rain and a bit better in the dry.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Very hard to beat the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S when it comes to wet performance. They're our best selling tire and we frequently recommend them as a rain HPDE tire when someone is buying our wheels as a package deal. It's not the cheapest option, but you definitely get what you pay for.

- Cory

The PSS, PS4S, ECS, and even General Tire's G-Max RS are fare better in the wet than the Firestone Indy500.

Interesting to hear about the new General Tire...did it have decent dry grip/heat resistance as well? I like the price point of it as a rain tire/summer screw around.

Interesting to hear about the new General Tire...did it have decent dry grip/heat resistance as well? I like the price point of it as a rain tire/summer screw around.
The General RS is probably on par with or in-between the PSS and the PS4S/ECS in terms of wet grip. As far as dry grip/heat resistance, it's not as good as those 3 or even the indy500.

I’ve had great success with the Bridgestone RE71R. Outstanding rain and dry tire. They will tend to get a little greasy when they get really hot, but for rain and all around, they are hard to beat.
The RE11 is very good as is the MPSS. I’ve run all 3 and the RE71 has been to best wet tire by far.

TMO Supporting Vendors