The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Guys and Gals
If you don't have $6000 on "magic" brakes here is a potential inexpensive (like anything is inexpensive) upgrade from either stock 4 piston 14" Boss Brembos OR 6 piston 15" GT 500 Brembos----------6 piston 15" S550 Performance Pack Brembos!!!!
I am doing full chassis service on the BAUS and decided to see if the 6 pots from my S550 will fit, this based on an obscure post I saw on SVT Performance that only said that they did, with no real detail. Well here are the photos and they really tell the tale, I know from tracking the '16 that the brakes definitely feel better and perform better so on a 100 lb lighter car the gains should be confidence inspiring. Best part is it is cheap. New calipers, rotors and clips can be had from Ford for about $700, pad selection from Carbotech and GLoc are abundant and word is that Hawk and possibly Pagid (ahem Pete) will have pads in 2017. Any details please ask

IMG_0454_zpsxejpjcdz.jpg
IMG_0457_zpskmtaqzw3.jpg
IMG_0455_zpscjhfepdo.jpg
IMG_0458_zpspjajn3vy.jpg
IMG_0459_zpswgp0ta0j.jpg
Steve

Now if I can figure out a cheap 4 piston fixed rear caliper...............

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Very cool, thanks for the info. And no 2-piece rotors on that beast? I've been doing some work with Matt Morris at Morris Engineering with 2-piece rotors (I'm not affiliated in any way) and if you're interested, it might be worth reaching out to him to see about 15" 2-piece rotors. He's only currently making 14" ones I believe. I just put them through a season of abuse including the VIR outing a couple weeks back. They are fantastic. Zero fade even with my puny 14" 4-pot setup ;) Just a thought

Steve,
Which pads are those that are side by side for comparison? Is that the 15 PP vs 13 GT500?

Thanks,
BT

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
k98dave said:
Will these clear both stock Boss and 18" GT500 wheels?
Will clear stock Boss, 302S and 19" GT 500 wheels. I run 18"x10" Team Dynamics wheels that also clear. I believe the HRE 18"x10.5" wheels that Cortex sells will clear but barely along with possibly the Ford Racing BBS 18" wheels. No the 2007-2010 18" GT500 wheels will not clear. Forgestar CF-5s should also work, not 100% sure though.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
F.D. Sako said:
Steve, what about the brake hose?
Can we reuse our hoses, or should we source 15+ hoses?
Need the brake hoses for the 2013-14 Shelby GT500 or braided replacements for those years. The S550 uses a totally different mount at the frame. I have braided lines that I got from a guy in Texas but I think that there may be Goodridge lines now.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
DMichaels said:
Very cool, thanks for the info. And no 2-piece rotors on that beast? I've been doing some work with Matt Morris at Morris Engineering with 2-piece rotors (I'm not affiliated in any way) and if you're interested, it might be worth reaching out to him to see about 15" 2-piece rotors. He's only currently making 14" ones I believe. I just put them through a season of abuse including the VIR outing a couple weeks back. They are fantastic. Zero fade even with my puny 14" 4-pot setup ;) Just a thought
Ford has 15" floating 2 piece rotors that I will have for 2017 Derek.

Steve, from what I understood and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Pagid GT500 pad in your picture actually smaller in size than the factory pad? I am putting bigger front brakes (14 GT500 6-piston) on my car this winter and was not going with Pagid pads as I was told they are smaller in size than the factory pad and that I was going to go with G-Loc as they are supposed to be the correct size. Do you have any info on this?

IMG_0458_zpspjajn3vy.jpg

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
06mach1 said:
Steve, from what I understood and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Pagid GT500 pad in your picture actually smaller in size than the factory pad? I am putting bigger front brakes (14 GT500 6-piston) on my car this winter and was not going with Pagid pads as I was told they are smaller in size than the factory pad and that I was going to go with G-Loc as they are supposed to be the correct size. Do you have any info on this?

IMG_0458_zpspjajn3vy.jpg
Mike
The pads on the right are Carbotech XP24 GT 500. That is the full size pads shape. How do I know? Carbo made the first pads off of a factory backing plate that I sent them. The S550 6 pots are that much bigger, you can't get a bigger pad than is show into a '13-'14 caliper. The backing plate for the PP pad is the same as the GT350 with only the inner center scalloped because of the 15" rotor vs 15.4" on the 350. Those titanium shields are actually made by Girodisc for GT350s, that's why you see the extra titanium.
Steve

voodoo child21 said:
Mike
The pads on the right are Carbotech XP24 GT 500. That is the full size pads shape. How do I know? Carbo made the first pads off of a factory backing plate that I sent them. The S550 6 pots are that much bigger, you can't get a bigger pad than is show into a '13-'14 caliper. The backing plate for the PP pad is the same as the GT350 with only the inner center scalloped because of the 15" rotor vs 15.4" on the 350. Those titanium shields are actually made by Girodisc for GT350s, that's why you see the extra titanium.
Steve

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I thought you ran pagid pads. I guess I should have looked better at the box. Cabotech and g-loc would be factory size. That's a big difference in pad size!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Parts list;

Items Ordered:
1. FR3Z2B120C
Front Disc Brake Caliper Price: $239.73
2. FR3Z2B121C
Front Disc Brake Caliper Price: $252.35
3. FR3Z2068C
Disc Brake Anti-Rattle Clip Price: $74.82
4. DR3Z1125A
Disc Brake Rotor Price: $221.06
There is also a $100 core charge for the calipers so it is about a $906 + 125 for a set of front brake hoses or $1030 upgrade. Note the rotors have to be 2013-14 15" rotors, the '15-'17 rotors are totally different offset.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors