The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canton, Michigan
Does anyone know if the 6 piston S550 calipers will clear the '13 Track Pack wheels (19")? I plan to keep these for street/winter duty and considering this upgrade from the 4 piston Brembos.
One of my track buddies who has an S550 track pack has the S197 track pack wheels as his winter set and they clear the 6 pot brembos on his car.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Indiana
I have a set of Brembo calipers from a 2013 Boss 302S, mounting brackets, top hats for 13" rotors i am going to sell. They require endurance pads. Excellent for track or street, pads wear and wear and were, eliminates most paddock brake maintenance.

PM if interested.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just a general update for those with the S197 fitted wth the S550 PP brembo package. Opmustangs.com has the S550 Gloc pads that are 1mm thicker for our setups. You have to ask for them when you order the pads.

1651428201032.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, I stopped using the plates after I switched to SRF, since then never once have I boiled the brake liquid. Taking into account that boiling is no longer a issue, in the end its a trade off in between the pads life and the discs... And Pads are more expensive for me then discs. These S550 pads are huge!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
At least with the Pagid pads, the OEM or similer discs lasted about 5 trackdays. The pagids would do 8, but the price is now over US$500 a set now so thats why am giving these thicker Gloc R18 pads a try. Got my @Fabman 4" ducts installed so that should help as well.

1651442498917.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
At least with the Pagid pads, the OEM or similer discs lasted about 5 trackdays. The pagids would do 8, but the price is now over US$500 a set now so thats why am giving these thicker Gloc R18 pads a try. Got my @Fabman 4" ducts installed so that should help as well.

View attachment 75446
Those are extremely sexy….and effective.
I got a full racing season plus several test days out of a set of pads.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Has anyone swapped an S550 master cylinder into their S197 with this change?

If yes, any challenges or customization required?
It can be done but requires some amount of fab work. I would source an entire pedal assembly, booster and MC from a PP1, PP2 or GT350 car then recreate the mounting points, re fab hard lines to ABS and have at it. Best performed with engine, seats and dash out of car. I give this project 5 wrenches for difficulty, 2 wrenches for cost.

Thank you @captdistraction and @steveespo for the feedback. My primary reason for asking is due to feedback on pedal feel. Still considering Brembo 6-piston setups and was uncertain if the Boss master cylinder will be long term effective/safe.
I went with a Stoptech 6 piston with 15" floating rotor kit. The pedal feel was superb - Stoptech claims to match their kits to the master cylinder ratio of the car they are for and I believe it.

Stoptech closeup.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors