The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm swapping out street to track pads wasn't paying attention. Which way do the clips go? The caliper runs up and down. Long part of the clip up or down?
Thanks!
Never mind --- I think I found a pic. Bleeder up which make this the driver side. Looks like the longer part of the clip goes up.
1652975687443.png
Not the mustang's but still brembo - passenger side. Longer part of the clip up.
1652976003134.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Wanted to chip in my 2cents.

My car is equipped with the 4pis Brembos. When I first bought the car my first thought was these are not good enough. Coming from a GT350 with MASSIVE brakes, no way could these little 4 pis be good enough. The car will need to drive to and from track however its a dedicated track car. Will never leave the garage unless going to the track. The boys at KNS got me going on a new setup with ST47 in the front on KNS rotors ($80, yes thats right $80 for rotors). GT350 gyros are what $1100.00. Then with ST43 in the rear on stoptech rotors. Total package around $800

Having been to 3 track days now at road America, I can tell you these are more than enough brakes. Those of you who know coming into turn 5 @ 140 you need some confidence in the pedal. They bite like crazy and hold that until there is a very gentle release before turn in. As a whole they are better than my GT350 setup, I know crazy right.

Point I am trying to make is before you take the big step to getting all new calipers and gear see if you cant set up your current setup.

DSC_0204 1.jpg

@Champale - what rims are those? 19s or 20s?
Hey Adam - they are Signature Wheels SV901s in 20x10.5 ET42 up front. I weighed them and the fronts were barely 22lbs. I'm pretty sure a 19 would have fit, too - those wheels have tons of clearance in all directions for the brakes.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Doing a number of projects recently, this upgrade was on the list. Went the 6 pot way as i found a set for pretty good price. Brembos with Glocs, what a difference! Even just driving around town I can tell how much more effective the brakes are, gonna have to recalibrate my foot. This thread is still dropping knowledge value after 6 years, @steveespo should be proud. And thanks to the others who answered Qs.

IMG_2998.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

My car is equipped with the 4pis Brembos. When I first bought the car my first thought was these are not good enough. Coming from a GT350 with MASSIVE brakes, no way could these little 4 pis be good enough. The car will need to drive to and from track however its a dedicated track car. Will never leave the garage unless going to the track. The boys at KNS got me going on a new setup with ST47 in the front on KNS rotors ($80, yes thats right $80 for rotors). GT350 gyros are what $1100.00. Then with ST43 in the rear on stoptech rotors. Total package around $800

Having been to 3 track days now at road America, I can tell you these are more than enough brakes. Those of you who know coming into turn 5 @ 140 you need some confidence in the pedal. They bite like crazy and hold that until there is a very gentle release before turn in. As a whole they are better than my GT350 setup, I know crazy right.

Point I am trying to make is before you take the big step to getting all new calipers and gear see if you cant set up your current setup.

View attachment 76121
I would agree with you that the original 14" discs and brembos are a great package and do well at the track. But the 15" setup with the huge pads and 6 pot calipers are definitely a step up.. A 15" kit will cost you a about $250 more but the difference is being able to out brake Cayman GT4 in the last lap when your brakes are hotter the hell.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Can we get an update on parts list of what is needed. Looks like you may need new stainless lines?

Looking for a complete list to get this done.

Likely need to be clear on what you are going from and to.

I know most of the parts were listed throughout the thread for me, but I was going 08 stock FP to 2015? Stock 6 Pot Brembos. And I reused the stainless lines I already had installed.

2011 4 pis brembos. I do have stainless lines installed already. I think they are Russell.

Running 18x11 Apex wheels.
Is this what you are looking for?

Page 1 of my build thread has pictures of the calipers and rotor packing stickers with part numbers.

The lines you have will work and Apex 18x11 will clear.

Pad selection from OP

Here's a screen shot of a temporary Rock Auto order for the calipers and rotors. Looks like everything is in stock. Caliper prices are down and rotors are up from when I purchased but you still are about 7 bucks cheaper.
MOTORCRAFT​
BRCF431Caliper
$ 216.79​
$ 50.00​
1​
$ 266.79​
MOTORCRAFT​
BRCF430Caliper
$ 216.79​
$ 50.00​
1​
$ 266.79​
MOTORCRAFT​
BRRF218Rotor
$ 101.79​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 203.58​
Make sure you do a web search for a Rock Auto 5% off code if you use them! Here's one that was posted today 210683118137722658
1659051472916.png

Last edited:
I also am interested in this swap but my concerns are pedal feel and weight. Can anyone describe a little more specifically exactly what the difference in pedal feel is between the brembo 4 pot and the s550 6 pot? Is it a softer pedal, longer stroke, different engagement point, something else? Also, what is the approx. difference in weight for the bigger rotors and calipers? Thanks!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I also am interested in this swap but my concerns are pedal feel and weight. Can anyone describe a little more specifically exactly what the difference in pedal feel is between the brembo 4 pot and the s550 6 pot? Is it a softer pedal, longer stroke, different engagement point, something else? Also, what is the approx. difference in weight for the bigger rotors and calipers? Thanks!

I'd think some of that is universal... go to braided, you will have less mush and a more instant bite.
Some of that is specific to the exact pads you pick.

Can't comment on the difference between 4pot Brembos and 6 Brembos as I went FP to 6Pot.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Here’s a copy/paste from an older post. This comparison is made running G-Loc R16’s in both setups:

Initial bite is consistent despite the change in caliper/pad size. With the larger calipers, I can apply more force which is where they stop more aggressively than the smaller caliper. I find it easier to modulate the S550 setup as well - less of an on/off switch, making the pedal stroke much more linear through the range. Some have noted they feel the stroke is longer with the PP calipers - I’m not sure if it’s that, or if it’s just more linear. Regardless, trail braking is greatly improved with the S550 setup.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN

View attachment 76121

Good enough for me!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
As one of the first to do this swap I would say the pedal fell is slightly softer and the stroke definitely longer than with the original brembo 4 piston calipers. That is offset by the increase and rotor diameter, pad surface area and pad selection/life. This setup will brake harder, stay cooler and are easier to modulate. As for the long pedal, @Leo Capaldi has worked on a possible solution that has shown promise in initial testing. Give him a call at Capaldi Racing to discuss, it isn't a difficult or expensive solution. Shop CapaldiRacing.com

One thing I would recommend if doing the upgrade is the ABS bleed just to make sure the high temp fluid makes it though the entire system. As for a softer peddle feel, I swapped from non PP calipers and all I noticed was pure goodness with the 6 pots even with street pads. With g-loc 12s installed it's night and day including street driving. I swapped street to track and back for my first HPDE - not a pain but why. They say don't run the 12s on the street I have had no issues other than dust but not driving more than maybe 3500 miles / year. I'll take the street pads and second set of g-locs to the track just in case....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel