The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
View attachment 79592
Is it required? No
Should you use it? We think so.
When we ran through the set up of the kit we determined and verified there was an offset issue with the swap.
The shim centers the caliper over the rotor so typically the pistons are retracting equally from the rotor surface.
Tim, do you have the spacers on your website??

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canton, Michigan
I believe the risk comes from the piston in the caliper traveling further than designed. Luckily our group typically is pretty good about swapping out pads at proper intervals, but i found it to be approx 0.15" on my set of calipers. I was going to do a measurement with new pads before I try again since these calipers have used pads. But it seems like McMaster Carr sells 2mm shim washers which might work as well. I'll report back once I get new pads installed in my set of calipers.

PXL_20220817_134226324.jpg

PXL_20220817_134232317.jpg

PXL_20220817_134235317.jpg

PXL_20220817_135541569.jpg

PXL_20220817_135546631.jpg

PXL_20220817_135550903.jpg

Are the shims recommended if you're just running gt500 rotors? Or is that more for the 2 piece setups?
For the 32mm rotors either OEM or Girodisc, just allows the calipers to function in a more centered position. Plus we offer the 1mm thicker pads in R12 and R18 from G-LOC which keeps the pistons more in their designed sweet spot.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Preloading pedal-

I forgot who mentioned this awhile back. I am looking for some advice on how to improve this. I tried it at Road America and wow. It really makes a huge difference in confidence. Just need to get used to it and improve.

Any advice please send my way. This could be a huge step for me and other with this upgrade.

Preloading pedal-

I forgot who mentioned this awhile back. I am looking for some advice on how to improve this. I tried it at Road America and wow. It really makes a huge difference in confidence. Just need to get used to it and improve.

Any advice please send my way. This could be a huge step for me and other with this upgrade.
Earlier in this thread @steveespo mentioned Capaldi Racing might have a solution? I'm following this with interest, as the swap seems compelling except that the dead space you describe at the top of the pedal sounds super frustrating to me. Seems like it would screw up both heel-toe and my confidence.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It depends a lot on what pads you are using. I have G-loc R18 pads and the brakes respond very well. Drove another car with the street pads and in that case it was very noticeable.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I run R18's as well, it works fine, but the initial throw is concerning. I struggled at Laguna seca with braking confidence, but honestly I hadn't driven the car in over 6 months and so that exacerbates the feel issue. I think had I been practicing in the car more I'd have trusted the pedal throw.

While as long as I'm consistently in the car and reminding myself that the brakes are there - its a non-issue, but I'd definitely be down if someone finds a workable master cylinder solution. I'm leaving a ton of time on the table in braking, and its just pedal confidence - the system works as hard as many pro-race setup.

Last edited:
Preloading pedal-

Did you do the forscan ABS bleed procedure? I did a full system flush and had peddle issues. After doing the forscan procedure I reflushed and got some really gross fluid to come through with micro bubbles.

I didn't like the low pedal after I installed the S550 six piston Brembo set up on my 2014 either, it really messed up my heal and toe.The first time I ran them I was at Watkins Glen and I was running Gloc R-16 front pads. Since then I switched to the R-18 front pads and added about 3/8 of an inch of rubber that I cut out from a mudflap and put it between the brake pedal and the aluminum pedal cover, the added rubber helped the height, but I think the R-18 brake pads made the biggest impact, seems like day and night. I'm not sure I really needed to add to the brake pedal height being I don't have to step on the pedal as hard as I did when I was running the R-16 pads.

TMO Supporting Vendors