The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preloading pedal-

I forgot who mentioned this awhile back. I am looking for some advice on how to improve this. I tried it at Road America and wow. It really makes a huge difference in confidence. Just need to get used to it and improve.

Any advice please send my way. This could be a huge step for me and other with this upgrade.
Did you do the forscan ABS bleed procedure
Help me with this. Does a shop do that or can I?
Short version:
Download to laptop - windows.
Buy this:. Don't mind the blue line- I bought just in case I needed extra length - did not need.
KIMG5782.JPG

You'll have to search through the program to use the abs bleed function. I think to be safe I ran on each corner.

This is something that people probably don't do.

I had the system pressurized with the motive bleeder at 15 psi and fluid reservoir filled. Hit the and bleed run on the laptop - ran to corner and opened bleeder screw until it went through the process. Did on each corner. Here's the reason. My thoughts - run bleed procedure with an unopened bleeder the fluid is stuck in the abs and just kind of sits there. Opening the bleeder allows the crap fluid to enter the line along with any air. After I did all 4 corners that way then I flushed the system properly. I have no peddle issues. Please note - If you compare street to track pads there's no comparison. It's just not apples to apples.

Someone chime in if I missed something.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Did you do the forscan ABS bleed procedure

Short version:
Download to laptop - windows.
Buy this:. Don't mind the blue line- I bought just in case I needed extra length - did not need.
View attachment 79822

You'll have to search through the program to use the abs bleed function. I think to be safe I ran on each corner.

This is something that people probably don't do.

I had the system pressurized with the motive bleeder at 15 psi and fluid reservoir filled. Hit the and bleed run on the laptop - ran to corner and opened bleeder screw until it went through the process. Did on each corner. Here's the reason. My thoughts - run bleed procedure with an unopened bleeder the fluid is stuck in the abs and just kind of sits there. Opening the bleeder allows the crap fluid to enter the line along with any air. After I did all 4 corners that way then I flushed the system properly. I have no peddle issues. Please note - If you compare street to track pads there's no comparison. It's just not apples to apples.

Someone chime in if I missed something.

This?

Considering buying a small laptop to run forscan and download video at the track. Any recommendations for screen size, processor and memory needed?
Check craigslist or the Goodwill computer store for a gaming computer with windows 10. Sometimes kids will dump stuff cheap for the newest and latest. The only reason I say windows 10 is that it will most likely already have more than enough ram, storage for your needs along with a faster processor.

Edit:. Forget the above. This is a smoking deal for a "beater" laptop! Sale ends on the 3rd. No where near a beater laptop with it's specs.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Not sure if a smaller Windows tablet like below would work, but I really like refurbished Dell [semi-]rugged products. Search not only the Dell Outlet section at Dell.com, but the off-lease stuff at DellRefurbished.com which usually has better bargains. I've got an older Latitude ATG semi-rugged laptop I use for reviewing Aim data logs and video between runs, and a true outdoor-readable screen is a real advantage.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The Ford Service manual says to perform a brake flush after the ABS bleed. It doesn't say anything about opening a bleeder valve during the ABS bleed.

The Ford Service manual says to perform a brake flush after the ABS bleed. It doesn't say anything about opening a bleeder valve during the ABS bleed.
I did just to be safe and would ONLY do if the system is pressurized. I figured what would it hurt... I know the manual doesn't say to but it makes me wonder. If there is a a boatload of air in the abs block or full of old fluid - cycling the module with forscan or whatever how much of that can be forced in to the closed system? Maybe I'm missing something with the way the block functions. Just me I want to get that fluid away from the block.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
We

How was the peddle feel?

Did it fix the issue....no. However it did make improvements. I would say 50% better.

If you have not used the brakes for lets say a half of lap and then try and jump on them. They feel weak and tons of dead space.

If you are running a hot lap and have used them 3 times already then jump on them. They feel good.

Preloading them still feels the best so far.

Last edited:
Not sure if a smaller Windows tablet like below would work, but I really like refurbished Dell [semi-]rugged products. Search not only the Dell Outlet section at Dell.com, but the off-lease stuff at DellRefurbished.com which usually has better bargains. I've got an older Latitude ATG semi-rugged laptop I use for reviewing Aim data logs and video between runs, and a true outdoor-readable screen is a real advantage.
Thanks for this, we just bought 2 'new' work stations for a few hundred bucks!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canton, Michigan
Did it fix the issue....no. However it did make improvements. I would say 50% better.

If you have not used the brakes for lets say a half of lap and then try and jump on them. They feel weak and tons of dead space.

If you are running a hot lap and have used them 3 times already then jump on them. They feel good.

Preloading them still feels the best so far.
I was talking to a coworker who worked on S197 program and they mentioned that the 2013-2014 GT500 with 6 pots got a knockback mitigation tune, which takes up the "dead space" in the pedal that is there after a half a lap of no brake use. The base and 4 pot brembos didn't get this tune since it wasn't an issue. Unfortunately for us, I'm not well versed in changing our ABS unit logic to that of the GT500, but I'm pretty sure someone here smarter than I am might be able to chime in.

TMO Supporting Vendors