The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hurricane Cargo Trailers - Anyone had any experience with them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I'm in the market for a new enclosed trailer. Of all the research I've done these guys come up as the best value I can find (value = cost + perceived quality). Their numbers are so far below any other place I've found it makes them very suspect in my eyes. That said, they may just have the volume to do it right for a great price. I know that where they are built in Georgia there are about 20 companies of various sizes all in the same area, so competition may be keen. Their website is at http://www.hurricanecargo.com/index.php/default/our-trailers/hurricane-trailers/hurricane-8-5x20-enclosed-trailer.html and thispage points to a 8.5x20 race-ready model.

Do any of you guys have first hand experience with them, or at least some accurate info that you can attest to ?

Thanks!

Wow that does seem too cheap. Heck of a deal if it's quality. Can't help you with experience.

I wonder if it has enough weight capacity. It doesn't list curb weight or GVWR, but I did notice the following:

Dexter Axles - 2 - 3500lb 4" Drop Axles

My 28' weighs 5k lbs plus my 4k lb car would exceed the axle limit on this.

Pass, the 3500lb axles are a no go. By the time you load the car there is no room for extra weight. That trailer is rated at 7K only. Most of the trailers mass produced in GA are not good quality, ask around some local trailer places by you.

Plus I think if you go only 20 feet you would be sorry, no room for all the crap that keeps adding up and just gets to be more and more and more with each passing track day ;D

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
2012YellowBoss said:
Pass, the 3500lb axles are a no go. By the time you load the car there is no room for extra weight. That trailer is rated at 7K only. Most of the trailers mass produced in GA are not good quality, ask around some local trailer places by you.

Plus I think if you go only 20 feet you would be sorry, no room for all the crap that keeps adding up and just gets to be more and more and more with each passing track day ;D

Fair comments. The 3500 lb axles are the starting point. My config would have either 5.2K or 7K Torson axles. The 20' limitation is based on my truck, a 1500 Silverado w/towing and off road suspension. Good for 9600 lbs. but anything over a 20' is going to tax it too much, I have the 5.3L not the bigger V8 (6.3L ? I forget...). I'm aware of the reputation for GA trailers, not sure if these guys fit the mold or not. I may just need to go down and see for myself. The local guys in the Northeast have MUCH higher prices ($5K more typically for what appears to be the same trailer). If I need to stay local I'll probably go with a good aluminium open trailer. The price for that will actually be about the same as these 20' enclosed.

Thanks for your input !

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel