The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Husker 427R Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome Lehnert, glad to see you signed up after meeting you yesterday. I am sure Carkon will drop you a note since he is another 427Roush driver. You are on the right track and with your mods the most likely place to run our car is in CAMC. Whether Autocrossing or Track the first items to improve ( after seat time) are tires and solid brakes. Brakes often have no need to upgrade rotors, calipers, etc. just more aggressive pads, D0T 4 fluid, and ducting. For auto crossing you likely just need to view the first items ( pads, fluid ) while you are still learning. With the tires you have currently, you can burn them up a bit more , because the next step for the likely Class you will move towards will need to be wide!! When you are at the next Nebraska Region Solo wander around and chat with the guys in CAM C and see the variety of rubber they are using. Strong choices in the future are BFG Rival S 1.5s, Falken RT660s, and Yokohama A052s. There are future possibilities with Continental/Hoosier in the 200 Treadwear arena and likely another from Kumho in WWF sized meats.

Now will need some larger wheels and there will be some accommodations you will need to make sure they fit ( spacers, ARP studs, etc. ), but this is what you will find the majority of drivers in CAMC are running. No worries , seat time is the main modification you need now, so you have time to check out what fellow Cone Killers are using , and TMO is a dynamite source for info for the Plylon Pulverizers and the Road Course Warriors. The fact that you live in Lincoln, and you can drive to the site of the SCCA Solo Nationals, means you could not have a better place to learn the fine art of slaloming at speed.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lincoln, NE
Welcome Lehnert, glad to see you signed up after meeting you yesterday. I am sure Carkon will drop you a note since he is another 427Roush driver. You are on the right track and with your mods the most likely place to run our car is in CAMC. Whether Autocrossing or Track the first items to improve ( after seat time) are tires and solid brakes. Brakes often have no need to upgrade rotors, calipers, etc. just more aggressive pads, D0T 4 fluid, and ducting. For auto crossing you likely just need to view the first items ( pads, fluid ) while you are still learning. With the tires you have currently, you can burn them up a bit more , because the next step for the likely Class you will move towards will need to be wide!! When you are at the next Nebraska Region Solo wander around and chat with the guys in CAM C and see the variety of rubber they are using. Strong choices in the future are BFG Rival S 1.5s, Falken RT660s, and Yokohama A052s. There are future possibilities with Continental/Hoosier in the 200 Treadwear arena and likely another from Kumho in WWF sized meats.

Now will need some larger wheels and there will be some accommodations you will need to make sure they fit ( spacers, ARP studs, etc. ), but this is what you will find the majority of drivers in CAMC are running. No worries , seat time is the main modification you need now, so you have time to check out what fellow Cone Killers are using , and TMO is a dynamite source for info for the Plylon Pulverizers and the Road Course Warriors. The fact that you live in Lincoln, and you can drive to the site of the SCCA Solo Nationals, means you could not have a better place to learn the fine art of slaloming at speed.
Thanks, Bill!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ontario Canada
Hey all! New autocrosser here. Please recommend beginning mods. Maybe specifically a tire and wheel package. TIA!
Hey Lehnert. I just joined the other day myself. I picked up my 427R last August and managed to get 3 track sessions in before winter. Now Covid lock down in my Canadian province is keeping the track closed until at least May 20. I tracked the car Aug to Nov. in the condition I bought it in. 13 year old tires uneven ride height adjustment and alignment issues. The tires would only hook up slightly once they reached a certain temp. Below or above that temp and drifting was the only thing possible. I have new tires installed now. I bought Firestone indy 500. I read a bunch of pro reviews and though the Michelin sport cups consistently scored the best these often came second and always won best value. These will be my learning tire. Learning to drive competitively and learning how to set up the suspension correctly. I will be purchasing a second set of wheels and full R race tires once I am sure the car is set up right and not going to prematurely wear them out. If the Firestones turn out to be as good as I hope (particularly strong in the wet, so they say) I will continue buying them for driving to and from the track as well as wet conditions. I really hope to get some wet weather track days in. My 427R came with the TrakPak set up so it has 18 x 10 wheels with 275 40 18 all around. Adjustable coil overs with dampening and camber adjustability as well as height. 14 inch 6 piston caliper front brakes. I have Hawk DTC 70 Front and HT 10 Rear Racing Brake Pads installed. I don't recommend race pads as they are very noisy when cold. I only drive this car at the track other than the short 15 min trip to and from my house, so it works for me. Bigger front and rear stabilization bars, Detroit Tru Tac Torsional Rear Differential and Rear Axle Vent. I mention these items because I do not know anyone else with a Roush and was wondering if the non TrakPaks have these same features. I think the adjustable camber and 6 piston calipers may be the only difference.
Carkon (Bill)

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lincoln, NE
Hey Lehnert. I just joined the other day myself. I picked up my 427R last August and managed to get 3 track sessions in before winter. Now Covid lock down in my Canadian province is keeping the track closed until at least May 20. I tracked the car Aug to Nov. in the condition I bought it in. 13 year old tires uneven ride height adjustment and alignment issues. The tires would only hook up slightly once they reached a certain temp. Below or above that temp and drifting was the only thing possible. I have new tires installed now. I bought Firestone indy 500. I read a bunch of pro reviews and though the Michelin sport cups consistently scored the best these often came second and always won best value. These will be my learning tire. Learning to drive competitively and learning how to set up the suspension correctly. I will be purchasing a second set of wheels and full R race tires once I am sure the car is set up right and not going to prematurely wear them out. If the Firestones turn out to be as good as I hope (particularly strong in the wet, so they say) I will continue buying them for driving to and from the track as well as wet conditions. I really hope to get some wet weather track days in. My 427R came with the TrakPak set up so it has 18 x 10 wheels with 275 40 18 all around. Adjustable coil overs with dampening and camber adjustability as well as height. 14 inch 6 piston caliper front brakes. I have Hawk DTC 70 Front and HT 10 Rear Racing Brake Pads installed. I don't recommend race pads as they are very noisy when cold. I only drive this car at the track other than the short 15 min trip to and from my house, so it works for me. Bigger front and rear stabilization bars, Detroit Tru Tac Torsional Rear Differential and Rear Axle Vent. I mention these items because I do not know anyone else with a Roush and was wondering if the non TrakPaks have these same features. I think the adjustable camber and 6 piston calipers may be the only difference.
Carkon (Bill)
Hey, thanks for reaching out! I'm still trying to figure out the difference as well.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I was unaware , but the final results for all Classes were emailed late yesterday, and Mlehnert won the " Novice Class " in his Mean Monster Mustang! Kudos my friend and I look forward to seeing you out at the Solo Nationals site again this year!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No , there are two Novice groups, folks who literally just started and those that it is their first year................you won Novice 1 and if you look at both groups then you could say you were second. The results show you as the Trophy Winner in Novice --- ya just started man. First event I went to in 1981 I was DFL ( dead friggin last ), so you have a better start on me,ha,ha.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lincoln, NE
No , there are two Novice groups, folks who literally just started and those that it is their first year................you won Novice 1 and if you look at both groups then you could say you were second. The results show you as the Trophy Winner in Novice --- ya just started man. First event I went to in 1981 I was DFL ( dead friggin last ), so you have a better start on me,ha,ha.
Oh, well hell ya, then!

TMO Supporting Vendors