The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I did what I said I wouldn't - suspension parts are in route

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There's a big pallet sitting in my warhouse, but no relocation brackets yet, so right now it's just a big pile of boxes :'( I'll be going though the rolling 944 chicanes like a Town & Country next weekend, but hopefully they'll be ready to go when I get back. The following Friday some guys are running down to MAM for the day so if all the stars align I could get a test day in then.

ArizonaGT said:
The FRPP "K" springs are typically Eibach Pro-Kit springs.
I thought the K springs were the Sprotline since they lower the car 1.5" and the Pro-Kit or P springs lower the car 1"? Regardless I wonder if FR will recommend these springs or create a different rate spring kit specifically for the Boss? We're heading into prime track season and I really want to install camber plates soon and want to do the springs at the same time. Hurry up Ford! :D

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_Mustang_GT_1_Inch_Lowering_Springs_p/m-5300-p.htm

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_Mustang_GT_1_5_Inch_Lowering_Springs_p/m-5300-k.htm

Install article:

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/turning-our-2011-gt-into-a-corner-carver-with-frpp-and-falken/

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Gary--I'm interested in knowing how your tire wear changes with the new setup. Since the car is lower and stiffer, I am hoping it will improve. Also I'd like to know how rear traction is on corner exit vs. the stock setup; one of the hallmarks of the BOSS vs. other cars on track has been the ability to put down power to really get off the corners hard. I'm hoping this isn't altered.

ArizonaGT said:
Gary--I'm interested in knowing how your tire wear changes with the new setup. Since the car is lower and stiffer, I am hoping it will improve. Also I'd like to know how rear traction is on corner exit vs. the stock setup; one of the hallmarks of the BOSS vs. other cars on track has been the ability to put down power to really get off the corners hard. I'm hoping this isn't altered.
Those are probably my top two concerns as well. I'm hoping it's the Torsen that's driving that ability to put down the power on corner exit versus a torque arm or Watts link setup. My GT500 really puts the power down out of corners and has both those parts, but only a limited slip diff. I'm also really hoping to cut down on the tire wear as well, but that could simply be a function of the car's weight so we'll see.

Boss3o2

5 DOT 0 said:
. I'm still patiently........waiting for the FRPP springs. ::)

I am almost ready to donate 1 of the set of Boss-S spring sets coming to me next week (seriously). Just for you to try out, and observe. :p

cloud9 said:
Those are probably my top two concerns as well. I'm hoping it's the Torsen that's driving that ability to put down the power on corner exit versus a torque arm or Watts link setup. My GT500 really puts the power down out of corners and has both those parts, but only a limited slip diff. I'm also really hoping to cut down on the tire wear as well, but that could simply be a function of the car's weight so we'll see.

Scott,

You are going with a great setup, and I am sure you will be very happy with the results.

Eric

Boss3o2 said:
5 DOT 0 said:

I am almost ready to donate 1 of the set of Boss-S spring sets coming to me next week (seriously). Just for you to try out, and observe. :p

cloud9 said:

Scott,

You are going with a great setup, and I am sure you will be very happy with the results.

Eric
Good to hear Eric. Mark helped me put the list together so I'm sure it will be great. A lot of it comes down to how MUCH better we want to make our cars i.e. how much $$$$ we want to spend ;D Obviously that's a limitation on Ford too when they produce them. Most cars won't see the kind of track duty mine sees so no point in driving the cost up for those that don't need it.

Boss3o2

As for the other black LS, that Eibach recently used. That is my friend's Boss (Harry - username:LSECO). He is a great guy, who is not afraid to try new things on his Boss 302. He used to own and track an Audi R8, which he sold for his LS Boss 302.

They installed Sportlines for starters, since he wanted a similar drop to my car with the Boss 302S springs. The Boss 302S springs are a little lower, then the Sportlines and the rates are different. I have yet to drive in his car, with the new springs. I can say and confirm, that he does need an adjustable rear Pan-hard bar. If you look at one of his pictures, the drivers side rear wheel is sticking out a tad. Whenever you lower your car, this is what happens without having an Adj. Rear Panhard (regardless of which suspension you use).

My Boss - Adjustable Boss 302R 4130 Rear Panhard Bar. Rear-end completely centered. Boss 302S Suspension.
IMG_6014_JPG.jpg

Boss3o2

cloud9 said:
Most cars won't see the kind of track duty mine sees so no point in driving the cost up for those that don't need it.

Exactly my point, Scott. Which is the reason why there will always be a demand for modifying vehicles....

Eric

P.S - I am going to order some exhaust plates from you soon!

Boss3o2 said:
cloud9 said:
Most cars won't see the kind of track duty mine sees so no point in driving the cost up for those that don't need it.

Exactly my point, Scott. Which is the reason why there will always be a demand for modifying vehicles....

Eric

I'm sorry Eric you're confusing me with 2012YellowBoss. He has the discs.

Gary

Boss3o2

cloud9 said:
Boss3o2 said:
cloud9 said:

Eric

I'm sorry Eric you're confusing me with 2012YellowBoss. He has the discs.

Gary

Doh! 2nd time I have done this. Sorry sir. :)

5 DOT 0 said:
Boss3o2 said:
5 DOT 0 said:

I can send you my address here in CA. ;)

PM Sent!

I've resently put on a set of MM CC plates but havent trided them out yet. I have an event on May 11th at MSR Houston.

I just ordered the FRPP Rear LCA relo brackets M-5650-A but I couldn"t see paying that much for the FRPP LCA's so I ordered a J&M LCA for alot less with the same set up.

The FRPP 302S Rear LCAs M-5649-S are over $400 and the J&M I got are $200 so I couldn't pass it up.

I've aready talked to some BOSS guys that put LCA on already and they said it really helped control the rear end and made it feel more sold, mainly in intail hard braking and going over bumps. Im looking forward to see how they work.

ORANGE CRUSH said:
I just ordered the FRPP Rear LCA relo brackets M-5650-A but I couldn"t see paying that much for the FRPP LCA's so I ordered a J&M LCA for alot less with the same set up.

I've aready talked to some BOSS guys that put LCA on already and they said it really helped control the rear end and made it feel more sold, mainly in intail hard braking and going over bumps. Im looking forward to see how they work.
Did you get a date for your relo brackets? Mine show backordered to 4/30 and everything else is just sitting on a pallet in my warehouse waiting for them.

I was driving my GT500 last night and while it's very nose heavy and likes to push through turns, I can't believe how it squats and just goes when powering out of corners. It's WAY better than the Boss where I have to tip toe around corners on city streets or I'll break traction and get the axle tottering with wheel hop. I don't notice that as much at the track, but of course the corners aren't near as sharp. The GT500 has rod end control arms and the 3rd link is a torque are, but I also have a Watts. I'm hoping that the rod end FRPP LCAs, and spherical bearing Steeda 3rd link, along with lower stiffer springs will take care of this on the Boss.

I also went out to bed my pads for next weekend at BIR and the brake dive is really getting annoying. I wish I had these relo brackets so I could have it installed before this event, but not going to happen. If they show up this week, I might try to hit MAM the following Friday for some testing.

Gary,

Maybe think about getting a different set of relocation brackets and when the FR ones come in swap them out...... If you can get switch them out your self it would only cost maybe $50 once you were all said and done. Something to think about...

cloud9 said:
I was driving my GT500 last night and while it's very nose heavy and likes to push through turns, I can't believe how it squats and just goes when powering out of corners. It's WAY better than the Boss where I have to tip toe around corners on city streets or I'll break traction and get the axle tottering with wheel hop. I don't notice that as much at the track, but of course the corners aren't near as sharp. The GT500 has rod end control arms and the 3rd link is a torque are, but I also have a Watts. I'm hoping that the rod end FRPP LCAs, and spherical bearing Steeda 3rd link, along with lower stiffer springs will take care of this on the Boss.

This is something I have noticed as well on the track and on the street. It is really easy, too easy, to break traction while turning and even at times in a straight line. While this makes for a hell of a lot of fun, it doesn't do good for lap times. For a while I thought it was solely based on me being too aggressive with the throttle too soon in turns, but maybe I am only mostly to blame??? I always felt like it should hook up better, but I just blamed the driver not the car..... On the track I run 5 front and 4 rear. Maybe I have to drop it down to 3..... I do know that the 302S suspension is awesome. You have basically copied it minus the dampers and springs. I think you will be happy. Can't wait to hear the report!

cloud9 said:
ORANGE CRUSH said:

Did you get a date for your relo brackets? Mine show backordered to 4/30 and everything else is just sitting on a pallet in my warehouse waiting for them.

I got mine from Late Model Restoration and I already have a tracking # they are coming in Monday..woohoo I have grown to hate the wheel hop too.

Well that sux. I guess I should have shopped around for those. I had the impression that everyone shipped from the dist center so it wouldn't matter where I ordered them. :mad: There's always a silver lining though. I can baseline BIR with my winter mods so I have 3 tracks for lap time comparisons with the new suspension when I go back there in July.

It's been 4 years since I had the FRPP (Tokico) dampers. Can someone confirm that if you screw them all the way down (clockwise) you're at full stiff? Then if you screw them back one full revolution you're at setting 1, all the way to 6 full revolutions counterclockwise to the softest setting 6?

cloud9 said:
It's been 4 years since I had the FRPP (Tokico) dampers. Can someone confirm that if you screw them all the way down (clockwise) you're at full stiff? Then if you screw them back one full revolution you're at setting 1, all the way to 6 full revolutions counterclockwise to the softest setting 6?

A supplied tool allows the dampers to be adjusted from full soft to full hard, and stages in between, in seconds. A total of eight turns of continuous adjustment are available. Fully seated in the clockwise direction, the dampers are at their stiffest setting. Care must be taken not to overtighten the adjuster. Unwinding by eight full turns puts the dampers at their softest rates.

Click on the link for more.........

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/turning-our-2011-gt-into-a-corner-carver-with-frpp-and-falken/

Boss_302 said:
cloud9 said:

A supplied tool allows the dampers to be adjusted from full soft to full hard, and stages in between, in seconds. A total of eight turns of continuous adjustment are available. Fully seated in the clockwise direction, the dampers are at their stiffest setting. Care must be taken not to overtighten the adjuster. Unwinding by eight full turns puts the dampers at their softest rates.

Click on the link for more.........

Thanks! I did a search but didn't look hard enough obviously :D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel