The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I did what I said I wouldn't - suspension parts are in route

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's the new Boss and some initial observations. First of all it fixed all the things I'd expect. It also feels like it's on rails.

1) There's virtually no brake dive anymore and I have track pads in and did some pretty aggressive stops.

2) You can turn right from a stop without tiptoeing on the throttle and there's no tire slippage.

3) Wheel hop is gone.

4) I hammered it coming off an on ramp over a very bumpy surface and the rear wheels stuck through the acceleration.

5) It is noticeably firmer and responsive, but not harsh like a go cart.

6) I couldn't find any significant body roll, but I'm on street tires. I ripped through several on and off ramps on the interstate and it still feels neutral. I won't know for sure until I get sticky tires on it on track.

Bottom line is the car is getting closer and closer to a race car but still VERY streetable. I hope this actually nets a reduction in lap times. I'm guessing it will, but until I get some seat time I won't know for sure. I'll also probably need to work through some adjustments. Currently I have the front bar set at full soft, front shocks at 2 and rears at 3 out of 8. This was the recommendation I got from Mark Wilson for a staggered setup from their testing. I also ended up with -3.1* camber left and -3.0* right, 6.5* positive caster and 0.00* toe left 0.01* toe right.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for the update. Now how much of what you're feeling is the springs compared to the rest of what you installed? Time to order the M-5300-P springs, camber plates and a panhard bar. ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks awesome, initial feedback is very positive! Yeah, that is another benefit of lowering a macpherson strut car, you get added negative camber in the front! :)

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I did take some measurements after installation if anyone wants to compare them to their Boss with the stock suspension.

Front splitter 5-1/2" above ground

Front fender well measured at wheel centerline 27-3/4" above ground

Rear fender well measured at wheel centerline 28" above ground.

cloud9 said:
Front splitter 5-1/2" above ground

Front fender well measured at wheel centerline 27-3/4" above ground

Rear fender well measured at wheel centerline 28" above ground.
I had already measured mine.

Front fender well measured at wheel centerline 28" above ground

Rear fender well measured at wheel centerline 29 1/4" above ground.

The bottom of the side of my splitter is 6 1/4".

I remeasured the rear and it's closer to 28-1/8" so it looks like a little over a 1" drop. I expected about 1/2" in the front. Did you measure your front splitter at all? I don't have side splitters ;)

cloud9 said:
I remeasured the rear and it's closer to 28-1/8" so it looks like a little over a 1" drop. I expected about 1/2" in the front. Did you measure your front splitter at all? I don't have side splitters ;)
That was the side of my front splitter. It's 6" even in the front. Mine are measured with the stock Pirelli's on the stock wheels.

I expected about a 1/2" in front and 1" in the rear so we're close.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Gary - looks sweet, I'm sure it's going to handle beautifully. Here's my numbers, not sure why my nose is so low but that may be why it feels so good in my last runs.

Front: 27 1/2"
Rear: 29"
Splitter: 4 7/8" (LS splitter)

Gary- How is the NVH in the rear? Same as stock, little increase, big increase.......???

Can't wait to hear the feedback after track use!

I was surprised that I noticed virtually no increased NVH so far. I haven't driven it with windows up yet so I will try that today.

**edit - drove windows up and no radio (I never drive this way) on the way to the gym this morning. As expected, rear end whine and mild clunk (not clank) from the control arms is more noticeable. I have rod ends on all control arm connections with NO bushings. If you went with poly bushings you probably wouldn't notice any difference. It's still WAY quieter than my GT500 and far from annoying.....at least for me ;)

Sounds completely tolerable for the street. You know what the true test is..... Taking the wife out in it. Let us know what she thinks...

My wife HATES the car.....even in stock trim.....to flashy for her ::) I talked to my lawyer but he recommended I find another reason on grounds for divorce......

PeteInCT said:
Gary - looks sweet, I'm sure it's going to handle beautifully. Here's my numbers, not sure why my nose is so low but that may be why it feels so good in my last runs.

Front: 27 1/2"
Rear: 29"
Splitter: 4 7/8" (LS splitter)
Stock wheels or the PF01's?

My wife loves our Boss and likes riding around in it but she doesn't want to drive it. Only driven it once because I insisted. I guess if she wanted to drive it all the time we'd have a problem. :D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel