The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I did what I said I wouldn't - suspension parts are in route

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012YellowBoss said:
roketman said:
Boy his he a bad influence!

Truer words have never been spoken here :mad: I'll be doing this soon, guess I have to keep up. To give Gary a very/small tiny bit of credit, it is nice to have him doing the research and testing ;D
That credit has to go to Mark and his team. They're the ones with the research budget, test track and race teams ;D

ArizonaGT said:
OK so who is going to be the first to one-up this and order some 3-way ASTs or Multimatics? :)
Not me. :p

As I sit in my hotel waiting for tomorrow's track day to test the new suspension I stumbled across this on weather.com. With a forecast high of 95, it might be tough to set a new personal best :-\

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/indy500-record-hottest-20120522

There are three main impacts of excessive heat on the race itself:

- Reduced traction: Less dense hot air does not press cars down on the track as much as cooler air. This reduces handling and traction.

- Engines less efficient: Reduced horsepower

- Increased driver fatigue: Cockpit gets very hot, plus drivers have to wear helmets.

drano38

Wayne
Gary,
Not like you to make excuses ;)
Drive flat out like you always do, and I'm sure you'll turn some good times.

cloud9 said:
drano38 said:
Gary,
Not like you to make excuses ;)
Drive flat out like you always do, and I'm sure you'll turn some good times.
LOL, I'm just hoping for some good comparos on the new parts :p I'll give it hell for sure ;)
You'll be fine but if we don't have an update after your first run we're putting in an order for hotter weather. :D

Ok quick update.

1st session check charging system and battery light. Went out after a couple laps but hopefully my alternator's not going out. Oversteering too much. Spin in 12 after a few laps in middle of track no biggie. Temps soaring to 250+ on ECT. Oil only 230s.

2nd session got system charging warning again :( Backed rear shocks off one turn and feels pretty neutral. Pulled grille and ECT 230s oil 230s. Ran a 1:39 but only four laps. Any ideas on charging system?

5 DOT 0 said:
How's the body roll and brake dive?
Significantly diminished but still a tad more roll than I'd like with slicks. I corded a front so will run R888s this afternoon and tomorrow so will see if that has any effect.

BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:
Any ideas on charging system?

What does your Aeroforce gauge read for Battery voltage? It should read between 13.5V - 14.5V with the engine running. I just checked my car and the Batt voltage was 14.33V.
Hey Jeff it's been between 14.1-14.2 so it seems fine. I disconnected the battery to reset but still came on last session but went back off after a few laps. Ran hotter than hell though with ECT 251+ but oil only 240 and no grille. 96 and humid as a rain forest now.

cloud9 said:
BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:

What does your Aeroforce gauge read for Battery voltage? It should read between 13.5V - 14.5V with the engine running. I just checked my car and the Batt voltage was 14.33V.
Hey Jeff it's been between 14.1-14.2 so it seems fine. I disconnected the battery to reset but still came on last session but went back off after a few laps. Ran hotter than hell though with ECT 251+ but oil only 240 and no grille. 96 and humid as a rain forest now.

How does the accessory belt look / feel? if it is slipping that could explain the high temps also.

BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:
BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:

How does the accessory belt look / feel? if it is slipping that could explain the high temps also.
Will check it tomorrow when I drop it at the dealer. On the first lap of my 4th session the clutch pedal stayed on the floor on a simple 3-4 shift. It wouldn't come back up nor go into any gear ending the weekend early. :mad: After coasting to a stop in the pit lane and shutting it off it went into first, but the clutch wouldn't budge from the floor. Started it and away we go and drove to the back of the trailer and shut it off and was able to get shifter into neutral so I could winch it on. Ford really needs to come up with a fix for all these clutch issues.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
Will check it tomorrow when I drop it at the dealer. On the first lap of my 4th session the clutch pedal stayed on the floor on a simple 3-4 shift. It wouldn't come back up nor go into any gear ending the weekend early. :mad: After coasting to a stop in the pit lane and shutting it off it went into first, but the clutch wouldn't budge from the floor. Started it and away we go and drove to the back of the trailer and shut it off and was able to get shifter into neutral so I could winch it on. Ford really needs to come up with a fix for all these clutch issues.

Gary - I really feel for you on this, it's bad enough that you have the need to go back again with a clutch issues but you lost track time (and associated costs) to boot.

I'd like to suggest that you start a thread where we all can document real issues (not complaints/comments/suggestions) with the Boss clutch and tranny. It would be beneficial if we could use this as a log of what the issues were, the conditions, symptoms & resolution. I also suggest that any posts entered that don't fit the criteria be removed so it remains as a list of real issues. We all know who reads this forum and the credibility the forum has with Ford. To be honest this is a little self serving becuase I can see a 6060 tranny in my future with a GT-500 clucth and driveshaft, all with me footing the bill. But anyone who tracks this car, and some who may not, are facing the same possible outcome. I don't want that nor does anyone else who has invested in this othewise fantastic car.

I'd like to wait for the diagnosis. It's not like there was any significant wear on the friction surfaces so it's not an abuse issue. The symptons would indicate a failed slave cylinder, but then again I thought that's what it was last time. Once we know why it failed, I agree we should try and compile as much real data as we have about other failures so we can figure out the best long-term solution. I love this car and I agree Pete, they did an amazing job but it seems this is the weak link. Beats the heck out of all the Z06 motors I hear popping though ;)

Gary, sorry about your car and loss of track time. I really want to do that clutch mod (sping assist removeal) to see if that really is a fix before I have any problems. And yes a sticky about our trannys would be a great source of info for all of us and the Ford guys. Hope your issues has an easy fix. Good luck!

ORANGE CRUSH said:
Gary, sorry about your car and loss of track time. I really want to do that clutch mod (sping assist removeal) to see if that really is a fix before I have any problems. And yes a sticky about our trannys would be a great source of info for all of us and the Ford guys. Hope your issues has an easy fix. Good luck!
Educate me on the clutch mod(spring assist removal).I might as well do what I can ,while my car is in the shop getting all the upgrades.Anything else I should do in regards to the clutch?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel