The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I did what I said I wouldn't - suspension parts are in route

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roketman said:
ORANGE CRUSH said:
Gary, sorry about your car and loss of track time. I really want to do that clutch mod (sping assist removeal) to see if that really is a fix before I have any problems. And yes a sticky about our trannys would be a great source of info for all of us and the Ford guys. Hope your issues has an easy fix. Good luck!
Educate me on the clutch mod(spring assist removal).I might as well do what I can ,while my car is in the shop getting all the upgrades.Anything else I should do in regards to the clutch?

This is it.

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.php?/topic/14258-clutch-sticking-during-high-rpm-shifts-how-to-fix-it/

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
IMHO i'd wait to see if yours sticks. Most if us dont have this issue. Theres more than enough clutch/tranny issues that may be much more severe design problems out there. Fixing something thats not broke yet may create more questions if something does go wrong.

cloud9 said:
Will check it tomorrow when I drop it at the dealer. On the first lap of my 4th session the clutch pedal stayed on the floor on a simple 3-4 shift. It wouldn't come back up nor go into any gear ending the weekend early. :mad: After coasting to a stop in the pit lane and shutting it off it went into first, but the clutch wouldn't budge from the floor. Started it and away we go and drove to the back of the trailer and shut it off and was able to get shifter into neutral so I could winch it on. Ford really needs to come up with a fix for all these clutch issues.

What a bummer. Two questions. Was it a 7500 rpm shift? Is this the exact same problem you had before with the clutch / pressure plate?

BossJockey said:
cloud9 said:
Will check it tomorrow when I drop it at the dealer. On the first lap of my 4th session the clutch pedal stayed on the floor on a simple 3-4 shift. It wouldn't come back up nor go into any gear ending the weekend early. :mad: After coasting to a stop in the pit lane and shutting it off it went into first, but the clutch wouldn't budge from the floor. Started it and away we go and drove to the back of the trailer and shut it off and was able to get shifter into neutral so I could winch it on. Ford really needs to come up with a fix for all these clutch issues.

What a bummer. Two questions. Was it a 7500 rpm shift? Is this the exact same problem you had before with the clutch / pressure plate?
No in fact it was a short shift (5k-6k) due to the need for 4th gear at that point heading into the sweeper.

Yes. This is not an issue of a return spring not allowing the pedal to return. It wouldn't go into any gear even as slowing to a stop. The car would go into first gear while stopped and turned off, but then not allow you to go back to neutral. Then when the car is started it takes off "old school" style. If the pedal was just stuck down the clutch would be disengaged in that situation versus still being in gear.

I was just out driving my GT500 and musing to myself; that car has 50% more horsepower than it had from the factory. It has the factory clutch and transmission, 35k miles, more than twice as many track days and weighs 400 lbs more than the Boss and it just keeps on rocking.......

Back to topic. I was really impressed with how I could dial out the oversteer with just a damper adjustment. The overall feel of the system was great and I think I'm going to be pretty happy with it. I'd like to try dialing them both down one level to 1 front and 3 rear next time out versus the 2 front and 4 rear I ended up at. The other noticeable improvement was handling quick transitions. Turn 11/12 are a quick right then left which previously really upset the car. Now it settled in time to make the left hander much tighter and smoother.

How was the launch out of the corners? Were you able to put the power down sooner? Did you play with the front swaybar any? I know in the M3, running the front bar real stiff helps the front in grip better (opposite of what most setup guides tell you).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sorry to hear about your clutch issues; what a disappointment. Keep the feedback coming about the suspension changes; sounds pretty positive so far!

BossJockey said:
How was the launch out of the corners? Were you able to put the power down sooner? Did you play with the front swaybar any? I know in the M3, running the front bar real stiff helps the front in grip better (opposite of what most setup guides tell you).
That's a great question Jeff. It's actually even more responsive to throttle steering which was really good already, although it's more planted than on the stock suspension. That said I was still "feeling it out" and will need more time to fully take advantage of that and getting out even quicker.

I only ran full soft on the front bar. Initially it was biased to oversteer and getting the front to bite wasn't a problem. In fact that's what made me spin in 12. I was just "surprised" how well the front bit after the quick right/left transition. I think I'll probably explore the damper settings more before messing with the front bar. I'm more inclined to get things set where it's relatively neutral and just drive it versus trying to fine tune it too much.

cloud9 said:
Back to topic. I was really impressed with how I could dial out the oversteer with just a damper adjustment. The overall feel of the system was great and I think I'm going to be pretty happy with it. I'd like to try dialing them both down one level to 1 front and 3 rear next time out versus the 2 front and 4 rear I ended up at. The other noticeable improvement was handling quick transitions. Turn 11/12 are a quick right then left which previously really upset the car. Now it settled in time to make the left hander much tighter and smoother.
Good to hear. At least there was something positive this weekend. How did you have your adjustable sway bars setup?

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
Good to hear. At least there was something positive this weekend. How did you have your adjustable sway bars setup?
Full soft on the front bar.

cloud9 said:
I'd like to wait for the diagnosis. It's not like there was any significant wear on the friction surfaces so it's not an abuse issue. The symptons would indicate a failed slave cylinder, but then again I thought that's what it was last time. Once we know why it failed, I agree we should try and compile as much real data as we have about other failures so we can figure out the best long-term solution. I love this car and I agree Pete, they did an amazing job but it seems this is the weak link. Beats the heck out of all the Z06 motors I hear popping though ;)
Slave cylinder blew, so a totally different issue. I'm actually encouraged the clutch disc didn't grenade again so there's a shot I just had two isolated defective parts versus a systemic issue. Should be all back together tomorrow.

I also posted this in the Track Time thread but thought I should put it here regarding the suspension.

The car handled like a dream at Road America. I was just amazed at how I could bring it downhill from almost 150 into 120 degree turns and the car just rotated. The brake dive was minimal even with the ridiculous amount of force involved late braking a 3600 lb car on slicks. There is essentially an uphill "S" from Canada Corner to turn 14 before the front straightaway that I could take almost flat footed and I picked up huge amounts of time on almost every car including the Vettes in that stretch. There's no way the car would have handled the transitions on the stock suspension with that much throttle input.

Wayne sent me this pic of my car at BIR a few weeks ago on the stock suspension. Holy brake dive and body roll Batman!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now here are a few pics from Canada Corner at Road America for comparison.

RoadAmerica6122012105.jpg
RoadAmerica6122012106.jpg
RoadAmerica6122012107.jpg
RoadAmerica6122012170.jpg
RoadAmerica6122012252.jpg

To put it in perspective, I'm coming down from about 145 mph to 60 mph at Canada Corner versus maybe 100 to about 50 on the front straight of the short course at BIR. This stretch from Canada Corner to 14 before the front straight is what I referred to above......and yes Pete I was on the bumper of both of those Vettes coming out of 14 and got the point by ;)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Listen bud - you need to stop these posts filled with accurate A/B comparion data and hard evidence pics or else I'm going to go broke or to the funny farm ! I am ignoring your empirical data and believing that becuase I has an LS I don't have that siginificant of an amount of brake dive or body roll !

Signed,
Pete "I must take another blue pill" in CT

::)

EDIT: And yes I am going to totally ignore what Ron's car does at WG next weekend. It will be woped from memory by the following Monday. At least that's the story going to the wifey...

TMO Supporting Vendors