The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I got my nuts stuck.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have a new set of ARP bolts on the way but I do not know if they will arrive in time for my next event. I Bought the only set of front wheel studs Ford has in Chile, but they have no rears. Does anyone know if the same rear wheel stud is used in another Ford model??

When you talk about the stud beaming during the nut removal.... I'm not sure how that could happen, did you somehow put some kind of side stress on the stud, because we never break those things. With regards to what we do, I apply a dab of white grease on the wheel taper, before gluing the nut on the wheel. The weatherstrip adhesive is actually out side of the taper (and the white grease). The grease on the taper is to prevent galling at the taper when the nut is blasted on with our pit guns.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The only thing that was "unusual" was this at the previous track day.........

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.thomson.378/videos/10206793125685466/

The next event the following week after this spin, was when the nuts got stuck. I now have new ones on and will be keeping them nice and clean with fresh grease.

Could the spin have anything to do with it?? You can see the tall grass that left the car covered in sap.

It could have stressed them, especially if they are the factory 1/2 inch studs and the wheel was not a hubcentric style wheel. If you're going to hang a wheel off of just the studs they need to be 5/8

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The studs where (and now are again) the 1/2" ARP ones with Gorilla open end nuts. the SVE wheel is hub centric. Will keep an eye on them! I do not want to do this again!

TMO Supporting Vendors