The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I had an interesting experience at the LA Auto Show!

349
0
I might have to change my name to quick draw....with the keys anyway. Please excuse the camera work, that's the wife using my phone to shoot the video combined with my underdeveloped editing skills.


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMNrLbPk7sY[/youtube]

The video does not do the sound of the car justice, it sounded sick! The other thing I was trying to pay attention to was the NVH level in the car which was definately a step up/not as refined or smooth as a GT. I don't know exactly what is responsible for it or how to describe it other than more vibrations coming up through the seats....felt mean. I guess it could have just been weird harmonics based on it being on the dyno, lol.

So now for the interesting part. The guy driving is a pro driver that is working with Ford on the Miller Motorsports Boss track experience. When the driver told me what the simulator said the car ran, I had to ask how accurate it is. Supposedly it is very accurate. Although he didn't give me an exact ET (said 12 seconds and I can't imagine that meant flat) he did say the trap speed...122MPH! Still don't think I believe him. I guess we'll know soon enough when the tests start coming out.

He also mentioned that most likely there will be other tracks that will host the Boss track experience and mentioned one in SoCal.
 
Mark said:
The video does not do the sound of the car justice, it sounded sick! The other thing I was trying to pay attention to was the NVH level in the car which was definately a step up/not as refined or smooth as a GT. I don't know exactly what is responsible for it or how to describe it other than more vibrations coming up through the seats....felt mean. I guess it could have just been weird harmonics based on it being on the dyno, lol.
I think harmonics from the dyno had an impact on what you felt.

Did the driver take the car to reline in each gear? It sounded like he short shifted after the second shift. How loud was it?
 
349
0
I couldn't see the right side of the tach. Believe me I was interested! When I got in the driver stated "this is my area" referring to the center console so I couldn't lean over.

I think I was experiencing sensory overload because the car wasn't all that loud inside even though the windows were down. When I was outside of the car it sounded mean as hell.

I did the calculations a while back and 4th gear should redline at 122. Even though the driver claimed 122 trap It doesn't sound like he was able to wrap out forth.
 
Nice job not stepping out of the car with a giant woody! Not quite sure how you managed to pull that off.
Do they splash cold water on you before you get out? ;D

I would have been totally distracted and probably not able to remember much of anything.

I hope they sell enough of these for used ones to not be MORE money than new ones.

You are right, this is the car I need to be in and campaigning with a vengeance. Turning fast laps with a big heavy sedan is definitely going to be tire decimating adventure. There is no question this car will turn fast laps for the weight of it.
There is also no question it will have to be on 18s and Grand Am scrubs to be affordable for a guy like me in my income bracket.
I have gotten amazing life out of my 710s though, it has really surprised me. They have gotten a bit hard though.

Jimmy :p
 
349
0
Jimmysidecarr said:
Nice job not stepping out of the car with a giant woody! Not quite sure how you managed to pull that off.
Do they splash cold water on you before you get out? ;D

I always plan ahead....giant sweater. Actually I was wearing a t-shirt but it was cold out and had that laying in the back of the car not realizing I would end up looking so fancy on youtube, lol.

Jimmysidecarr said:
You are right, this is the car I need to be in and campaigning with a vengeance. Turning fast laps with a big heavy sedan is definitely going to be tire decimating adventure. There is no question this car will turn fast laps for the weight of it.
There is also no question it will have to be on 18s and Grand Am scrubs to be affordable for a guy like me in my income bracket.
I have gotten amazing life out of my 710s though, it has really surprised me. They have gotten a bit hard though.

Jimmy :p

I look at it like this, if you want to go easy on the consumables you track an elise. Might be fun but it wont be 450hp firing out of 4 exhaust pipes. Welcome to the site!
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top