The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I HATE the " no cap" fuel fill neck- any help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

US
How can it be by passed or replaced?
If I try to fill the tank using a fuel can, none of the fuel cans tips that go into the cars fill neck are the right size. It doesn't hit both tabs and as a result, the fuel spills all over. I've tried using 2 flat heads and pressing the tabs in and the super carefully try to get the cans tip inside without the damn thing kicking back and locking me out. Its successful maybe 20% of the time. Ive tried cutting down a couple funnels to the right size but the taper of the funnel then limits how far the funnel will go in. Maybe 1/4 inch. Which has disaster written all over it. Terrible design for anything other than at the pump use only. These are track cars arent they?

What is your secret weapon to fill the damn tank at the track?

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

US
I yanked that air pump assembly. I'll have to dig it out and see if it's still there. Thanks for the info!! It better be there!!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I’ve never had an issue with the VP Racing cap hoses with the grey plastic pipe. On either my S197 or S550 cars. Odd but the white Ford funnel will work. To replace the assembly you pull out the plastic surround around the fill neck. It has clips, that will break so order a new one along with the fill neck which is held in with hex screws at the top and clamp at the tank. There are body clips and a vent hose that runs with it so a trim tool is needed. Tank has to be lowered so don’t forget to disconnect the pump plugs under rear seat so you don’t rip the wires. If the funnel or larger pipe works, don’t mess with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Check online for the white Ford Filler tube if not available at a Dealership, as the unit is the same for Ford and FCA products. Ford charges less than Dodge for the same thing, and there are super cheap aftermarket ones at Walmart. Hook up to a bigger funnel and it will work fine.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I believe the Ford part number is 8U5Z-17B068-B and it works on a variety of Ford vehicles. I find using it is a slow way to add fuel at the track and saw Bill's set-up with an addition, larger funnel attached to this one and it works well. Perhaps if he can find his in his trailer, he can share a pic.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would take a picture but my son has my trailer this weekend for the Midwest Spring National Autocross event in Lincoln, Nebraska, so we will have to do a visual........think big ass funnel with little white white filler tube attached at the bottom! Okay, got that , and yep, it works gooder!

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I use a can like this and the white OEM funnel. I refuel without spilling a drop. It's not rocket science.

B214722.jpg

I've seen the replacement white funnel at auto parts stores too, if yours is missing.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I agree. This version in the link above does not have a way to shut off the fuel flow. That's what the ball valve is for. Mine has the shut off, ball valve that threads into the cap, the hose threads into the ball valve. I have one cap with the hose and ball valve. I swap between bottles when filling. The extra hoses are in a drawer in the trailer. I looked for the version I have, can't find a pic. A spare cap set up with a hose would work the same. Just switch caps.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I mean the jugs aren't safe or legal for transport.

For example:
"Notes: This item is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB (CARB) or other state or federal agencies."
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpr-3522/overview/

There are reasons why they are called 'utility jugs' and don't use the word 'fuel' in the descriptions. They are fire/explosion/vapor hazards. I don't remember all my OSHA training on the matter, but I wouldn't use them outside of the paddock.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I've been using NATO approved five gallon Jerry Cans and store them in the bed of the truck. I figure if they can take a beating in a bouncing jeep, it ought to be fine for me. Never been a fan of anything plastic because they expand and contract wildly.

US
I use an 11 gallon jug (heavy) with a flexible end. It's too short to fit in the neck. So I need a funnel....or a longer neck on my flex hose. The metal ones listed above may work well. On my list to try. Wrestling 80 lbs of fuel around in a quick fill jug, you dont want some sloppy setup.

I did find the factory funnel! But damn it's small. Gonna see how it works and go from there.

Changing out the neck does sound like a lot of work but that doesn't bother me. The fact that the fuel door doesn't lock when the doors lock doesnt impress me either. I have an open trailer.

I appreciate all the help!
Best forum on the net!

TMO Supporting Vendors