The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I hate to admit it but........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That is about what I am thinking too. I haven't tried tightening the dampers yet either. It will never feel as nimble as a light weight car, but I have a tin can I can drive when I want to. The only thing I would really like to change that is not a simple fix is the slow steering, a smaller steering wheel would do it but I need to keep the bag to keep it legal. Even the numbness I am pretty sure I can mostly dial out with tires and suspension and maybe a few bushings.

But nitpicking at little things like that are how you know the car is so great, as I have nothing serious to complain about.

Sesshomurai

CaliMR said:
I'm not a value investor, I'm just cheap ;D

Like I said I love the car, it is a great street car and hopefully track car, I just would like it a little more raw since it is for me a weekend/track toy and that is kind of how it was billed from Ford. Red key hopefully will go a long way, just by removing the throttle hang emissions junk which is driving me nuts, and if I can coax a little more feel out of it through tires and alignment it will be perfect for its intended purpose. Maybe see about removing some of the sound deadening too :eek:

Change the suspension damping settings....

Sesshomurai said:
CaliMR said:
I'm not a value investor, I'm just cheap ;D

Like I said I love the car, it is a great street car and hopefully track car, I just would like it a little more raw since it is for me a weekend/track toy and that is kind of how it was billed from Ford. Red key hopefully will go a long way, just by removing the throttle hang emissions junk which is driving me nuts, and if I can coax a little more feel out of it through tires and alignment it will be perfect for its intended purpose. Maybe see about removing some of the sound deadening too :eek:

Change the suspension damping settings....
Yeah there's a big difference between the factory setting of 2 compared to 5.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Dampers on 5 and the track key installed will give you a VERY different perspective. I think you said you haven't had it out on the track yet also (I'm too lazy to go back and read the posts again ;D ). If that's true, you really need to feel it out there 'in the real world'. I agree that the steering ratio/feel could be improved, but once you feel the rear end hook up coming out of a turn you may not be bothered by it so much. I wasn't.

The dampeners are a great tool for differing track conditions .They are also a great tool for dialing out oversteer and understeer.
A little knowledge on how and why will go a long way.If any one needs help ask I will post something.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Very good point by Ron (as usual ;D ) - I amend my 'dampers on 5' comment in so much that the track your on dictates what you settings should be. As for the TK statement, I'll stick by it. I personally found that the increased throttle sensitivity coupled with the engine braking assisted me a lot with getting comfortable with throttle steering with my LS. The level of control was greatly improved over the 'black key'.

Ron - would like to hear your view on the damper settings for a track we both know - LRP. I'm running 5 on the fronts and 4.5 on the rears. That said, I haven't tried many other combo's there either. I found this works well for me there since none of the turtles are really that aggressive at all. Obviously this with with a stock LS setup (stock LS spring rates + stock Pirelli PZero Corsa rubber).

Yeah I need to take it to the track, I am thinking the NASA THill in March. By then it should be broken in pretty well and Track Keyed. I have a couple friends who used to be pro racers, I'll have them help me with the set up. The guy who helped with my E30 dialed it in pretty well.

Anyone do Track Key at a SF Bay Area dealer? The couple I have talked to have not done it before. That is mostly what has held me back from getting it done already.

Are there any options for the Track Key? I saw mention in, I think, the Track Key pinging thread about an option to have it adapt to low octane. Are there other options? Or does anyone have a link to the install guide? I googled it but didn't find it.

Sorry, very poor choice of words. I think its because I have a purpose built race car that I cant even think about after driving the BOSS. And the boss is a 3600 lb street car! So it blows my mind that I am so excited everytime that I get in the car. So I guess the thread should have really read " Im stoked to be driving a BOSS!"

boss1 said:
Sorry, very poor choice of words. I think its because I have a purpose built race car that I cant even think about after driving the BOSS. And the boss is a 3600 lb street car! So it blows my mind that I am so excited everytime that I get in the car. So I guess the thread should have really read " Im stoked to be driving a BOSS!"
Do you want me to change the thread title?

PeteInCT said:
Very good point by Ron (as usual ;D ) - I amend my 'dampers on 5' comment in so much that the track your on dictates what you settings should be. As for the TK statement, I'll stick by it. I personally found that the increased throttle sensitivity coupled with the engine braking assisted me a lot with getting comfortable with throttle steering with my LS. The level of control was greatly improved over the 'black key'.

Ron - would like to hear your view on the damper settings for a track we both know - LRP. I'm running 5 on the fronts and 4.5 on the rears. That said, I haven't tried many other combo's there either. I found this works well for me there since none of the turtles are really that aggressive at all. Obviously this with with a stock LS setup (stock LS spring rates + stock Pirelli PZero Corsa rubber).

What do you mean 4.5?

TMO Supporting Vendors