The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I just bought #1061!! Did I get a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys,

First post. ;D

I just bought a new Competition Orange Boss from a dealer in Texas (I am in Phoenix). They are shipping it to me. I paid sticker and got shipping to my house for $550. I wanted to check with you all to see if anyone bought any extended coverages from Ford? I bought 3 things:
1) The extended warranty (72 months or 60k miles) $2,150
2) Maintenance coverage for 3 years or 36k miles $975
3) 5 year tire and wheel protection $459

The prices above are what he first quoted me. But I ended up getting all 3 for $2930 (basically about $660 cheaper). Any thoughts or comments? I always crumble when locked in the room with the finance guy. Any idea if I did ok? I suppose I can always cancel the plan and get my money back.

Thanks for any and all advice,
- Scott

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I guess my question would be, how are they shipping it to you? It sounds like it's a good deal especially since you didn't have to go to them and take the time to travel and put the miles on the car. So welcome to the club and I know you can't wait until you get the car.

Congrats on the new BOSS. Looks like you got a good deal on the car. If you don't mind me asking which dealer in Texas did you buy from?

I usually never get any extras when I buy a new car. But for comparison there are some online ESP dealers who have great prices on warrantys from Ford. One of them is fordwarrantysdotcom has Premium Care ESP and this is the quotes for a 2012 Mustang in Texas:

72/60 0$ deductible for $914
72/60 50$ deductible for $784
72/60 100$ deductible for $734

This is with the discount they e-mail you when you go through the process.

Warranty's are a huge profit maker for dealers as you can see (and why finance people push so hard). I don't know anything about the maintenance or tire packages from Ford.

The good thing is you can cancel at any time and recieve a prorated refund.

GA
The ESP is a good idea, especially with the transmission thing developing. I think the maintenance and tire/wheel protection might be OK too but you would have to run the numbers to see if it is worth it. I usually lose the extended warranty game, which is why the dealers work so hard to sell them.

My trigger finger is getting really itchy on a 2012 5.0 with Brembos and 3.73 with the great incentives out there right now, and I will definitely get the ESP if I do.

BOSS 1276 said:
Congrats on the new BOSS. Looks like you got a good deal on the car. If you don't mind me asking which dealer in Texas did you buy from?

Bankston Ford in Fort Worth. I believe they still have another Boss sitting there at sticker as well.

ufnavy06 said:
I guess my question would be, how are they shipping it to you? It sounds like it's a good deal especially since you didn't have to go to them and take the time to travel and put the miles on the car. So welcome to the club and I know you can't wait until you get the car.

Not entirely sure how it is being shipped. But it is being put on a truck and driven to my house. They mentioned it is fully insured and I do a walk through of the car when it arrives. They also mentioned being able to ship it in an enclosed trailer, but I think that was a little more than double the $550 I am paying.

Right now, getting a Boss at sticker is a good deal. Time will tell if they start discounting them. As far as the extras, the tire package makes the most sense to me and looks to be a fair price. My manufacturer warranty will have to do for the rest for now - I'll expire it in three years rather than driving out of it for sure. Ford extended warranties at the Ford site seem to be very competitively priced. If I do buy one, it will definitely be through Ford. No aftermarket warranties for me - too risky.

Congratulations - you'll love your car!

GA
I think people will be able to find great deals on any remaining 2012 Bosses come December based on this:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/08/16/2013-mustang-to-get-shelby-gt500-styling-cues-increase-in-horsepower/

I think I will hold off on that 5.0. ;)

PJWANNABE said:
I think people will be able to find great deals on any remaining 2012 Bosses come December based on this:
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/08/16/2013-mustang-to-get-shelby-gt500-styling-cues-increase-in-horsepower/

Either a deal on a 2012 or grabbing a 2013 seems like good reasons to hold off on a GT for now. Either choice (or maybe a 2013 Boss?) will effectively be a notch up from a stock 5.0 - not that the stock choice is a bad one by any stretch; especially if you're thinking of modding it yourself which would be kick ass and loads of fun!

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
jimprw said:
PJWANNABE said:

Either a deal on a 2012 or grabbing a 2013 seems like good reasons to hold off on a GT for now. Either choice (or maybe a 2013 Boss?) will effectively be a notch up from a stock 5.0 - not that the stock choice is a bad one by any stretch; especially if you're thinking of modding it yourself which would be kick ass and loads of fun!

+1

GA
jimprw said:
PJWANNABE said:

I bet to get the extra HP for 2013 they are using the Boss intake with a less aggressive tune on the stock GT, and then 2013 Boss will get the same setup as the 2012 Boss. The 2010 GT performance-wise was basically a 2008/9 Bullitt with a tweaked suspension.

jimprw said:
... not that the stock choice is a bad one by any stretch; especially if you're thinking of modding it yourself which would be kick ass and loads of fun!

I agree. Also a great thing to do with a son (or daughter?) to teach and bond.

GA
DigiCowboy said:
jimprw said:
... not that the stock choice is a bad one by any stretch; especially if you're thinking of modding it yourself which would be kick ass and loads of fun!

I agree. Also a great thing to do with a son (or daughter?) to teach and bond.

I am kind of in the mood to get a blank canvas and customize it. Part of me is tired of special editions, but I know I would really miss the Bullitt and I would love to have a Boss. :-\

TMO Supporting Vendors