The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I know this is a naive wing question but....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfo
I'm not an aero fan especially on a streetcar because you hit things and damage the aero. Even on track when you spin off you tear off splitters and mounting points. It can get real expensive. That's why in the amateur in trenches you will see lots of plywood splitters from Home Depot Racing Supply.

Have you optimized your suspension? Maybe you can get gains there. I'm amazed 95% of Mustang people have no way to adjust ride height and corner balance their cars. When I bought my 2019 GT to make a race car I was shocked that my S550 lacked these important features. Thankfully, there is an active aftermarket to the rescue.

Then If you have spent to optimize your suspension the new aero can change all of that. So if your areo is really working then your wallet is going to feel it.

Finally, I agree with Blacksheep. It depends...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats me, plywood splitter and cheap ass wang wing. Have the simpler Cortex coil over setup and all the usual track goodies etc...

Matching would have been nice but it would have cost more then double... need to keep the tire budget alive!!!

73472786_10217769264202069_3376910125150240768_o.jpg

72783412_10217769263002039_1771556056913149952_o.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
general rule of thumb, mate the IMSA splitter with the IMSA wing, mate the PWC splitter with the PWC wing, this way you will have a ball park balance, it's not absolutely true in all cases that a wing will kill your top speed, yes, it will tend to chop MPH, BUT if that same wing allows you to carry speed off the corner then there is a net gain, not always a loss.

I can see this being very true.... I think having the 3.31 rear end really made the drag of the wing come into play

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^ Do that. And decrease the wing angle. Increase the body rake...raise the rear.

if you can drive around the induced push/understeer and stay in the throttle more. Might need to dial out more squat and do what you can for front aero to make it work overall. There would be some loss of top speed MPH on the front straight but should be relatively small effect on lap time. If your gearing is 'right' for the track, there may be no effective loss at all.

Like I said...you gotta learn to drive around the big changes in dynamics. One thing I might change about the above statement is also getting on the throttle harder AND carrying more speed. The data says the car is already faster. You just gotta let it BE faster.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have seen that video a whole pile of times! The Camaros look like speed bumps:)..

With the wing I will really have to start pushing harder... and earlier!

TMO Supporting Vendors