The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I lost my silver key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somehow, I lost my silver key to the boss and the track key tune is causing detonation. DOes anyone know how much a replacement key is? Good god....I don't want to ahve to buy another key. I have one place left to look but just thought I's ask.

Probably: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Sorry, can't help on the replacement key - probably need to contact a Ford dealer.

Any late model Ford PATS key will work, with or without the keyless entry. The Boss comes with a 80 bit "SA" key but a 40 bit "S" key will work fine. I know since I programmed two Bosses with "S" keys but get the new "SA" if you can just for the hell of it. You can get them off ebay from this guy http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/chapstick4

You have problems now, first off you need the dealer to program a second key since you only have one working PATS key left. You can not PATS program the second key with just one working key yourself. You will also be the poster child to see how this will screw with your Trackey programming since the single key you have (red) will need to be reprogrammed along with the new one. I asked Ford Racing how would this effect the red key and they did not know but said if anyone needs to do this to call them first. My guess is you will need all or part of the trackey program again.

Everyone - always have three keys !!!

also read
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/how-many-keys-do-you-get-494183/

Superlead76 said:
Somehow, I lost my silver key to the boss and the track key tune is causing detonation. DOes anyone know how much a replacement key is? Good god....I don't want to ahve to buy another key. I have one place left to look but just thought I's ask.
Have you seen this from the TracKey instructions?

From v1.2 of the customer instructions:
I hear slight "pinging" on engine acceleration from low speed. Should I be alarmed?
TracKey alters the ignition timing and knock sensor calibrations taking full advantage of premium fuel to deliver the maximum torque and throttle response available from the engine. Some slight "pinging" on acceleration from low engine speed may be audible initially but should rapidly subside.

BLAZN BOSS

The my key style key that comes with the cars is 130 dollars.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to the dealer and see if I can get another BOSS key. I want the one with the Silver boss logo on it instead of a generic Ford key. More to come.

Dark Horse said:
Has anybody tried cloning the red Track Key using the ON-BOARD PROGRAM procedure? It would be interesting to know if we can make copies of both keys by simply alternating which order the original keys are inserted. I've attached a link to the ON-BOARD PROGRAM write-up.

As far as I know it can not be done, simple because the active red key itself needs to be programmed. The link you posted is for PATS programming and if you follow this with a red or black key you will have a working normal key to start your Boss but not with the Trackey programming.

BOSS X

Texas
Dark Horse said:
Has anybody tried cloning the red Track Key using the ON-BOARD PROGRAM procedure? It would be interesting to know if we can make copies of both keys by simply alternating which order the original keys are inserted. I've attached a link to the ON-BOARD PROGRAM write-up.

From the TracKey Customer Instructions:

Can more than one TracKey be programmed for a vehicle?
No. Only one TracKey can exist for a given vehicle at a time.

Dark Horse

2012 BOSS 302 LS 541
BOSS X said:
Dark Horse said:

From the TracKey Customer Instructions:

Can more than one TracKey be programmed for a vehicle?
No. Only one TracKey can exist for a given vehicle at a time.
2012YellowBoss said:
Dark Horse said:

As far as I know it can not be done, simple because the active red key itself needs to be programmed. The link you posted is for PATS programming and if you follow this with a red or black key you will have a working normal key to start your Boss but not with the Trackey programming.

Thanks for the information. It was one of those things that pops into your head as your laying in bed thinking about warmer weather and getting the car back out. :D

Maui
2012YellowBoss said:
Any late model Ford PATS key will work, with or without the keyless entry. The Boss comes with a 80 bit "SA" key but a 40 bit "S" key will work fine. I know since I programmed two Bosses with "S" keys but get the new "SA" if you can just for the hell of it. You can get them off ebay from this guy http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/chapstick4

You have problems now, first off you need the dealer to program a second key since you only have one working PATS key left. You can not PATS program the second key with just one working key yourself. You will also be the poster child to see how this will screw with your Trackey programming since the single key you have (red) will need to be reprogrammed along with the new one. I asked Ford Racing how would this effect the red key and they did not know but said if anyone needs to do this to call them first. My guess is you will need all or part of the trackey program again.

Everyone - always have three keys !!!

also read
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/how-many-keys-do-you-get-494183/

Thanks, I ordered a key. Should I get the key cut by a locksmith, dealer, or you think any place would be fine?

Maui
2012YellowBoss said:
808Boss said:
Thanks, I ordered a key. Should I get the key cut by a locksmith, dealer, or you think any place would be fine?

Any place will be fine, I had my Mustang key cut by the dealer but Home Depot cut the last key for my truck.

I have track key installed as well. When I program the new key, that won't do anything to the track key program will it? Thanks again...

Jeff

No it won't. I finally ordered and received an extra key from the guy Scott recommended. I had Lowe's cut it (for free) and programmed it correctly on the second try. :eek: I programmed the MyKey with the 80 MPH max, locking on TC, and limiting the radio for use as a valet key although I doubt I'll ever use it. I tested it and it works great although it did show a little over 80 on the speedo before it cut power. ;D

I don't think this is MyKey related but last night after dinner my wife was sitting in the passenger seat and was in the process of buckling her seat beat as I drove off. The radio went silent and the screen stated it would remain muted until the passenger buckled their seat belt. 8)

808Boss said:
I have track key installed as well. When I program the new key, that won't do anything to the track key program will it? Thanks again...

Jeff, just like Rick stated you will be able to program an extra key without effecting your Trackey program. They are two different systems and to program a key to work with PATS you do not even start the car. It is good to hear that Rick did this just for conformation.

The only problem may be if someone who has only two keys looses one. At that point the dealer must reprogram the new keys into the PATS system. That may change the ability of the car to read the red key correctly. I asked Ford Racing about this and they said they did not know what would happen but if anyone needs to have this done to contact them first.

TMO Supporting Vendors