The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I need a new track app to replace Harrys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So here's my new dillema

I got an Galaxy S10E in April. it worked brilliant with Harrys all summer, but updates aroind October have been causing more and more issues since

I love Harrys. It has served me well since 2016. However, I've determined since last October that Harrys isnt keeping up with Android phones. Video randomly stops recording (harry blames my phone, but it records for 45 minutes independently from the app, i tested it), and now it wont export files nor will it overlay videos. My last track video was made screen capturing. I've determined its time to part ways with Harrys.

I'd like something on my phone that does everything Harrys does. my favorite features are logging lap times, recording video, and overlaying them, and speed/distance graphs.

Is there an app that does it all or do i just need to get AIM Solo?

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Duane, I assume you are using the phone vs. a GoPro for video? RaceChrono Pro may be the way to go. Although, I find Track Addicts a little easier to use with a GoPro. Admittedly, I've still not got it down pat and haven't figured out Race Render. Video taken with iPhone 8 using RaceChrono

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Duane, I assume you are using the phone vs. a GoPro for video? RaceChrono Pro may be the way to go. Although, I find Track Addicts a little easier to use with a GoPro. Admittedly, I've still not got it down pat and haven't figured out Race Render. Video taken with iPhone 8 using RaceChrono
Correct, trying to stick with the phones camera

Utah
I have had similar issues with Harry's this last year. I think it has more to do with the amount of data I have in the app. I made the jump to AIM SOLO 2 DL. I convinced Santa it would be a great gift! I am interested to see how well the data logging works for lap analysis. I have lots of friends at the track that swear by it. I will get Race Render (if I ever get to drive this year (tapping foot sounds...)) and do my video overlays on that. I have always used couple of GoPros because the iPhone camera couldn't keep up as it films a wobbly mess of a video, not necessarily because I am so fast if you know what I mean. Looking forward to trying out the new setup.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I have had similar issues with Harry's this last year. I think it has more to do with the amount of data I have in the app. I made the jump to AIM SOLO 2 DL. I convinced Santa it would be a great gift! I am interested to see how well the data logging works for lap analysis. I have lots of friends at the track that swear by it. I will get Race Render (if I ever get to drive this year (tapping foot sounds...)) and do my video overlays on that. I have always used couple of GoPros because the iPhone camera couldn't keep up as it films a wobbly mess of a video, not necessarily because I am so fast if you know what I mean. Looking forward to trying out the new setup.

You may be on to something... I've got about 500 laps worth of data in this app... I never realized there may be a conncetion.

harry is really overrated. the video and the data never really match up.
track addict is free and racerender3 is free till 3mins video i think.
now if you record with the phone track addict input the video already with data.
race render is when you have an ext camera.

it takes few time to get faster.
but absolutely not impossible.
my suggestion,
cut the 'best lap' out of the session ( you know what lap cause you have it in trackaddict).
then upload the video to racerender3
upload data file ( i send it from the phone to my email)
and then with the tool you try to match them. sounds help to identify when you are braking in the video /with the speed in the data

a video here

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I used Harry's but was not impressed with it, lot of bugginess and just plain unreliable. I too switched to Track Addict/Race Render and have been much impressed with the pair of them. Only difficult part can be getting the Android phone to play nice with the computer for transferring files but that seems to be more an Android thing than a TA/RR thing. I just cut my best lap of the day out and make it into a video, the rest I just archive.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Here you go! http://racerender.com/Products/index.html

It takes the Track Addict data and automatically puts them together. Quick and easy.

Looks like I'll go this direction. What's a good iPhone holder for our S550s to allow for good captures? Also, I normally use a GoPro on the side of my helmet (not the safest but good side to side motion) but will these apps work on that? I'll gladly ditch the GoPro if Track Addict/Race Render works great. Thanks!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Looks like I'll go this direction. What's a good iPhone holder for our S550s to allow for good captures? Also, I normally use a GoPro on the side of my helmet (not the safest but good side to side motion) but will these apps work on that? I'll gladly ditch the GoPro if Track Addict/Race Render works great. Thanks!
I use a helmet mount because I like seeing my inputs. Last year I used a GoPro, an external GPS (better speed and location accuracy) and track addict. Worked perfectly. Track addict connects your go pro and gps so you really don’t have to mess with them.

I think the most popular mount is RAM mount. The x grip or whatever it’s called

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
I use a helmet mount because I like seeing my inputs. Last year I used a GoPro, an external GPS (better speed and location accuracy) and track addict. Worked perfectly. Track addict connects your go pro and gps so you really don’t have to mess with them.

I think the most popular mount is RAM mount. The x grip or whatever it’s called
I use Ram mounts. I have the mount specific to the phone.

Good to know, I use RAM mounts for my off-roading, great solid mounts, will check 'em out, thx.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This is a bit different, but I know Jay Dee Krull in our NASA Region ( TT2 Champion in his GT350 ) works for Garmin in the KC Metro area and I was looking at his slick set -up at the Central Region Championship. Sure it is pricier, but the amount of data and analyzation capacity is killer, plus it includes the camera. He is on here occasionally and on TMO Facebook so he might pop in and give a better description than some old man who lives down the road from a bunch of Nebraska cornfields.
He won't toot his horn, but we are both Instructors for NASA and the crazy fart also won the Championship in a race class too --- I think it was in ST5. I got my one little trophy since I had only made one race last year and this was it, and Jay Dee kept going up to the Podium over and over...............heh, it was cool because he runs a GT 350 and he is a TMO member, ha!!

I won't pretend I know all about the new unit, as I just caught a brief rundown, but it seemed to have a lot of capabilities and it might be another option?!

TMO Supporting Vendors