The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I Need a Spare

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like road trips and don't want to be stranded without a spare. And no, I don't want to be plugging my tire on the side of the road either - sometimes that would be okay but not always. And I don't like putting slime in my tire.

So....

Has anyone come up with a good whee/tire combo for short-term use that will clear the front brakes and fit into the wheel well? I could live with something that sticks up a bit if that's the only option.

What wheel/tire combo will work best for a spare?

dgc76 said:
Discount tire can set you up with a narrower wheel that will clear the brembos and a P225/50/18 tire that is close to the correct diameter and will fit in the trunk well.

Thanks dgc76.

Do you know what wheel it is? I saw one discussed somewhere but it required a spacer which sounded like a bit of a pain to use properly by the side of the road.

I will check with Discount the next time I'm in the area. I would like to know more about which wheel I'm looking for in advance if possible.

search on svtperformance.com on the mustang gt section. there was a thread there with good amount of detail there.
Ill post the link, if i find it later.

According to the people at allfordmustangs.com an 18x8.5 wheel along with a 225/50R18 will clear the rotors and fit in the spare well.

I checked Pirelli site for the rear tire diameter(26.8") and revolutions per mile (751.02) for the 285/35 ZR 19.

A Goodyear Eagle LS2 225/50 18 measures 26.8" and 750.9 revolutions per mile. This seems to be a very good match.

Take a look at the Drag Wheel DR31. It was the most affordable wheel ($147.00) I could find in a 8.5 to 9.5 width.

One last thing, check to see if there are any used tires around the shop. When I mentioned that I was looking for a spare, they found a like new Yokohama for $70.00

OrangeBoss said:
According to the people at allfordmustangs.com an 18x8.5 wheel along with a 225/50R18 will clear the rotors and fit in the spare well.

I checked Pirelli site for the rear tire diameter(26.8") and revolutions per mile (751.02) for the 285/35 ZR 19.

A Goodyear Eagle LS2 225/50 18 measures 26.8" and 750.9 revolutions per mile. This seems to be a very good match.

Take a look at the Drag Wheel DR31. It was the most affordable wheel ($147.00) I could find in a 8.5 to 9.5 width.

One last thing, check to see if there are any used tires around the shop. When I mentioned that I was looking for a spare, they found a like new Yokohama for $70.00

I located a discussion here including the DR31 wheel..

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/spare-tire-wheel-boss-confirmed-495464/

According to the poster this is the wheel (DR31) that required the spacer and from his description (using feeler gauge to get it on straight) I'm hoping there's a better solution.

The new Shelbys don't have a spare either and I remember reading a thread on www.fordgt500.com where they report the spare tire provided with the new Challengers fits perfectly.

blk12svt said:
The new Shelbys don't have a spare either and I remember reading a thread on www.fordgt500.com where they report the spare tire provided with the new Challengers fits perfectly.
My friend has a new SVT Challenger and it came with no spare tire. The car came with run flat tires.

dgc76

Life is good
If you don't want a spacer, an 18" shelby wheel will work over the brembos. Any 18" mustang wheel will fit the rear, so you would have to move rear to front if your flat is on the rear and then put the spare on the rear. P225/50/18 tire only though

TMO Supporting Vendors