The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I ordered a new splitter for safekeeping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 2013 standard Boss, and I just gave up and ordered a new splitter. I scrape going in and out of my driveway and going in and out of parking lots. Anyone else?

I am going to leave the new splitter in the box and live with the scraped one. If I ever do a car show or go to sell, I'll pull out the new one. Seems like a good insurance policy, since the price of things like this *never* goes down, and eventually they may be impossible to get.

I can't imagine how people drive around with the LS splitter.

In a similar vein, I am thinking about buying a 2013 steering wheel. The Alcantara cover *will* wear down and get shiny eventually. I went to the Boss Track Attack, and the cars there are perfect examples of what ours will look like after 30,000 miles - dirty and shiny with obvious wear at 10 and 2. It seems like the splitter and the steering wheel are the two most-likely-to-look-like-crap items after 30,000 miles or so. I already bought a spare set of mats. I also swapped out the stock wheels within a couple hundred miles.

While we are at it, I should start a poll: what will be the first Boss 302 factory part that becomes unavailable from Ford? With so many unique parts and a hard limit on the number made, it won't be long before something goes missing. My bet is a 2012 or 2013 specific part will disappear first, like the splitter, the grill, or the the stripes, or possibly the steering wheel. A lot of GT owners jumped on the Boss steering wheel when it first came out, and Ford ended up jacking up the price to keep from running out of them.

On the other hand, you would think Ford has a warehouse full of standard Boss 302 seats, since almost everyone got the Recaros instead.

On a similar note, if you replace anything on the Boss with an aftermarket part, save the original part. The shift linkage may be junk, but someday someone will be looking for one for a restoration. Same applies to the sound tube, even though a lot more of those will be floating around since the GT has the same thing. Take a look at the unbelievable prices some people have paid for stuff like the original Boss 302 rev limiter or emission equipment that was tossed in the trash in 1970.

Excellent comments, thanks! With so many Boss owners modding their cars -- some heavily -- let's hope they are keeping all their stock take-off parts and these parts go with the cars as they change hands. No question these will be highly collectible someday -- to an extent they are now -- and stock, unmolested cars will be more valuable than heavily modded cars missing original parts. No different than what you find with the old Bosses today, as you point out.

And maybe the aftermarket, someday, will reproduce items like spoilers, stripes, seat covers, mats, etc if/when they become unavailable from Ford. Still, there's nothing like factory OEM parts, so "get 'em while you can" applies here as replacements for potentially high-wear items.

Welcome to the 13 club of people who damaged their splitters. I have already lost one to a curb while trying to park in a way to avoid damaging it. Cost me a shocking $454!! Compared to the 2012 at $135.. So hopefully we will see those go down soon for us 2013 owners.

Another thing is make sure you didn'y buy the splitter kit which comes with the belly that goes under the engine.

I have to agree with everything you said! Im already stocking up on misc. stuff for it. My plans have me getting another new steering wheel, shift knob, interior aluminum panels, wheels, grill and extra fog lamp inserts, stripe kit, and possibily the recaro seats. AND three to four of the front splitters once they get affordable.

I just know that after a few years the stuff will be impossible to find in new or even new like shape. With the change already on the horizon for 2015, and the loks of possible interior choices ford will probably be going way from the products they currently use in the mustangs, which only makes finding our boss parts even harder.

On my GT500KR, when Shelby ran a sale on the real CF Splitter I ordered one, and it is safely tucked away. But to replace the one I broke while doing an off-road excursion at Spring Mountain Raceway, I bought the standard GT500, then had it wrapped with CF wrap, and boom...done

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
LS splitter , 1" lower than stock. No issues. Just need to watch what's in front of you! ;D

98RedGT

2012 #552
so speaking of this, does it make a difference if you order it from Ford or some other vendor if the person is concerned about OE?

cali_kr said:
On my GT500KR, when Shelby ran a sale on the real CF Splitter I ordered one, and it is safely tucked away. But to replace the one I broke while doing an off-road excursion at Spring Mountain Raceway, I bought the standard GT500, then had it wrapped with CF wrap, and boom...done

Off track at Spring Mtn? Can't imagine how that could happen... Can't wait to go back!

GA
killerwill13 said:
Welcome to the 13 club of people who damaged their splitters. I have already lost one to a curb while trying to park in a way to avoid damaging it. Cost me a shocking $454!! Compared to the 2012 at $135.. So hopefully we will see those go down soon for us 2013 owners.

Yeah, the 2012 valences and Boss street splitter are pretty inexpensive compared to other years. I will probably buy another street splitter to put away also. It is only a matter of time before I scrape it up (especially after I lower the car).

I bought a set of OEM rims+tires to squirrel away with my good used set of springs, dampers, control arms, etc.

Things I'll likely buy to save:

console body and lids
steering wheeel
ungodly expensive seat material
door panels
dash panel
pretty much the entire user interface

I've been buying NOS and good used parts for my '64 Falcon convertible for decades now. I've watched NOS grills go from $150 to $900, consoles go from $100 to $300, tachs go from $100 to $500, etc. No reason not to do that with my Boss since I'm going to own it "forever."

Fat Boss is speaking the voice of experience here. For those of you thinking of keeping your Boss "forever", you will someday be shocked at how expensive some parts become.

This is a good interior list, Fat Boss. I would add:

Floor mats
Red Key (I already bought a spare Red Key. You can program a silver key to act as a TracKey, but then it isn't red!!)

For the exterior, anything Boss-specific will carry a premium, like splitter, stripes, spoiler..

Second for the part number. I parking lot curbed mine today. I'm pretty sure it is the only time I have ever pulled into a parking spot and crunch goes the front splitter. Never even saw it. What is this going to set me back?

TMO Supporting Vendors