The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I Racing ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Depending what you want, I've seen starter set-ups below 1K and some even as high as 65K, maybe more. I mean you can start with a wheel, shifter and pedals with one screen, to some where you sit in a cage and can "feel" the track and car running and have something like a 180 degree view.

Looks cool and I've watched a bit of the NASCAR one. The young guns do better than the codgers. And whatever you do, stay away from Clint Bowyer, he'll wreck you cause he has no clue what he's doing. But he's a blast doing the play-by-play.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I think you could get a nice VR for around $2k, which isn't half bad, considering the mid-high end graphics card is roughly half of that. I've used some of my friend's rigs, and it took me a while to acclimate to it, and once we did a little tuning to trick my eyes with the perspectives and proportions, it was as if I was there. Almost as good as being there.

Kinda like those paintings where you have to stare so you can see that boat.

Hey y'all, I've been toying around with building a rig once work settles down. In an effort to build it in my garage and not have to get a welder involved I was thinking of making the chassis out of wood then bolting the pedal box, shifter and wheel to that structure. Thoughts?

The iRacing league is cheap to join and I think this might be a good way to stay sharp. Hell, this could actually be waaaay cheaper after you get set up.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I've seen homemade rigs made of steel, aluminum, wood and even PVC pipe. Just be aware that with some of the higher end wheels you need really strong support for the wheel base, they can make a huge amount of force and need to be bolted to a very solid structure.

I enjoy doing it during the winter, I think it's good for hand/eye coordination. As far as iRacing goes, it's a wreckfest most of the time, not unlike racing with any other sim. What you're seeing on TV now is not what you're going to be seeing on iRacing when you start from the bottom. The Bowyer type stuff is more what you're going to see, be prepared for some really ugly stuff. Their "refereeing" is virtually non-existent as well, mostly complaint driven. It is not worth the cost IMHO, you can get wrecked for free on many other platforms so why pay for the priveledge of visiting walls?

I also don't find iRacing's physics model that great, particularly with oversteer. Project Cars 2 has in my opinion the closest physics to the real thing, I can detect and pick up oversteer with it quite well whereas every other sim out there, by the time you sense oversteer you're most often toast. That's probably more a reflection of my skill as a sim racer though......

I've seen homemade rigs made of steel, aluminum, wood and even PVC pipe. Just be aware that with some of the higher end wheels you need really strong support for the wheel base, they can make a huge amount of force and need to be bolted to a very solid structure.

I enjoy doing it during the winter, I think it's good for hand/eye coordination. As far as iRacing goes, it's a wreckfest most of the time, not unlike racing with any other sim. What you're seeing on TV now is not what you're going to be seeing on iRacing when you start from the bottom. The Bowyer type stuff is more what you're going to see, be prepared for some really ugly stuff. Their "refereeing" is virtually non-existent as well, mostly complaint driven. It is not worth the cost IMHO, you can get wrecked for free on many other platforms so why pay for the priveledge of visiting walls?

I also don't find iRacing's physics model that great, particularly with oversteer. Project Cars 2 has in my opinion the closest physics to the real thing, I can detect and pick up oversteer with it quite well whereas every other sim out there, by the time you sense oversteer you're most often toast. That's probably more a reflection of my skill as a sim racer though......

That's really interesting to hear. I have project Cars (as well as a few others) and I did enjoy it...When I wasn't booted off the TV by my kids or work haha.

To get iRacing set-up isn't a huge investment to have some fun. As one of my "shelter at home" projects, I got my 15 year son set-up by upgrading a pretty inexpensive desktop, using his Thrustmaster t150 steering wheel / pedal ($200) from his PS4 and our home built stand we did as a project. For iRacing the key was upgrading the video card (to at least 4 GB) to deal with the graphics load. I spent $250 on a graphics card and we were ready to go. Unfortunately, as with all good car projects now I am looking to upgrade to a wheel and pedal with better feedback. The lower end wheels and pedals do not give the feedback of a real car (my current excuse for losing to my son in the game!). Still not like the real thing, but the first track days of the year are cancelled so I am probably ahead cost wise. Good luck.

I spent around $1500 on my setup... I spent the most on the actual Rig. My wheel / pedals were only $300 and the computer I got for $500. I got a Viotek Monitor for $230 (32 inch curved). Then paid $500 used for my Obutto Rig which is about $800 new. All in all, a lot of fun and I am competitive with this setup. I would like to add two more monitors, but uncertain if my $500 ($700 new) computer will be able to handle it.

I spent around $1500 on my setup... I spent the most on the actual Rig. My wheel / pedals were only $300 and the computer I got for $500. I got a Viotek Monitor for $230 (32 inch curved). Then paid $500 used for my Obutto Rig which is about $800 new. All in all, a lot of fun and I am competitive with this setup. I would like to add two more monitors, but uncertain if my $500 ($700 new) computer will be able to handle it.

Seems legit. Got a pic of it? Just curious, thanks.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well our series switched over to Iracing for the the rest of 2020... All our classes are all stuck in Porsche RSR cars..... What a hoot... Took me about 10 hours to stop crashing into the walls. Naturally the youngsters rule in the sim world. Us old guys are stuck way at the back some 7 seconds behind. But thats ok, last week its was 15 seconds behind!!

Not much chance of us racing for a while, so might as well get some time behind the wheel. My original Boss seat is really comfy! my o my,,,, I could get used to a sequential box!

Oh, word of warning for the old folks.... nearly vomited on the screen at the beginning. Motion sickens, try no to use a huge screen

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
So sorry to hear you won't be racing in the real world Hatter. I understand this COVID-19 thing in South America is getting worse these days. Be safe and I-race away!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Melbourne Australia
I have been involved with iRacing for many years now, and also build my own very high-end rigs. Below just a WIP, busy sorting out 3-DOF motion for it.

But build my own hydraulic pedals with a Doppler base, Tilton pivoting master cylinders, drag-race slave calipers, humongous direc-drive ffb wheel. Steering wheel is also my own diy button-plate on an OMP 310Alu GT rim. Great fun, very serious, and an excellent tool for learning tracks like Road America, Watkins, Sonoma, Like Rock, Laguna, Rd Atlanta and many others.

Max Verstappen just one of many real-life pros using iRacing to learn the track-layouts etc. Anyway, enough mumbling, below 2 pix of my setup.

ps: The two fans on top are massive 2x 270cfm and speeds up and down as I drive, emulating car-speed ;)

Cheers,
Beano

065527E3_80B0_4F62_87CA_364377D5A6C2.jpg

BF2D36F3_237E_4FB2_B7B1_AB9413299A63.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
........uh, Holy Cow, that set up is not only super impressive, it is likely as valuable as some of our cars, ha?! You are obviously , concerning iRacing, one very, very fast Human Bean !!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel