The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I ran Circuit of Americas this weekend - Story and Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys. I mostly lurk, but thought I would tell you about my weekend. I ran Circuit of Americas in Austin Sunday in my 2013 Boss 302 Laguna. The car has 710 miles....well 810 now after Sunday. That 100 miles took a full tank of gas. The track sells 93 octane for $6/gal by the way. Anyway, my 10 year old, who was with me to buy the car new a couple of years ago, and I loaded the trailer and went to the track Saturday evening for check-in and setup. This event is through Edge Addicts. $500 for 5 - 25 minute sessions. $75 for a garage spot. It's mostly high-end European stuff (McClaren, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, but there were bad-ass GTR's, Vette's, Vipers and even a Z-28 that was heavily modified, some Subarus and Volkswagons). We got in line Saturday with a McClaren in front of us. the Ferrari club had an even before us and an F40 was pulling out as we parked. This is a highly professionally run event where they focus on fun and safety. They care about your experience and we all knew that it was a privilege to run the best track in the world. There were four groups (pro (an F1 car was in this group), high experience, advanced, and instruction). I was in advanced having gone to Miller, and several track days before this. Yes, I tracked my car with only 300 miles on it. There were 4 Mustangs there. Mine, a 2012 LS, and 2013 white Boss from Houston, and a 2013 5.0 GT. It took me one session to learn the track and how to run the car. This is a high speed track with limited braking the way I ran. Take turn one, accelerate in 3rd then to 4th and go through the s-turns in 4th modulating the throttle, with little braking. Brake hard and turn onto back straight. Top speed 140, but this was hard on the brakes, so I mostly kept it to 120 here. Turn 15 very technical. My favorite was the sweeping, double apex, high speed turn 16-18. Turn 20 onto the front straight with the grandstand makes you feel like a real pro. There were only a couple of incidents. A Vette spun in front of me at the entrance to back stretch, a guy spun on turn 20, and a Ferrari ran out of gas. I wish my garage looked as good as these garages. My car ran fine except it still gets hot and engine light comes on and bumps limp mode some. I don't run that hard, but do you guys experience same issue and how do you cope, especially in Texas heat? The 5.0 had same problem, but the white 2013 seemed ok. Maybe some more miles will help. I highly recommended this event with Edge Addicts and this track. It's like a high end car show that shows how these cars can run. The boss can't hang with Porsche 4S in the curves, but catches back up in the straights. A spec Viper can put a spanking on a stock Boss. Great event, facility, and group. Rick

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sounds like you had a fun time!

1. Run a high-flow grille like those offered by Saleen or Roush, or make one from a GT grille surround and an AmericanMuscle.com bar grille (cheaper). Cheapest yet just pull the grille altogether. Total cost $0-400.

2. Air-to-oil cooler is needed beyond what is offered in the factory water-to-oil cooler. That will also help keep oil heat from spiking the coolant temps. Total cost $550-1200 depending on components and if you DIY or not.

3. If you're not worried about freezing temperatures, dump your coolant and refill with two bottles of Redline Water Wetter and the rest of the system fill with distilled water. Total cost about $25.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BigTaco said:
The 2013 Boss 302S is an option as well. It flows very well. Not so much for the 2012 owners.
Very good point, I missed the 2013 part; my suggestions on grille were specific to 2012 model year cars. The highest flow option is 2013 GT500 grille; essentially nothing. You will probably want sheet of money honeycomb over your condenser to save it from getting beaten up.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaBOSS said:
Very good point, I missed the 2013 part; my suggestions on grille were specific to 2012 model year cars. The highest flow option is 2013 GT500 grille; essentially nothing. You will probably want sheet of money honeycomb over your condenser to save it from getting beaten up.

:eek: DYAC. I think that was 'Nomex' intended there! ;)

ArizonaBOSS said:
Sounds like you had a fun time!

1. Run a high-flow grille like those offered by Saleen or Roush, or make one from a GT grille surround and an AmericanMuscle.com bar grille (cheaper). Cheapest yet just pull the grille altogether. Total cost $0-400.

2. Air-to-oil cooler is needed beyond what is offered in the factory water-to-oil cooler. That will also help keep oil heat from spiking the coolant temps. Total cost $550-1200 depending on components and if you DIY or not.

3. If you're not worried about freezing temperatures, dump your coolant and refill with two bottles of Redline Water Wetter and the rest of the system fill with distilled water. Total cost about $25.

Does the 2013 have the fog light inserts that pop out? Otherwise, you can drill out all the holes and solid areas in the grill like I did. It seems to have worked.

What oil cooler do you use?

further said:
Does the 2013 have the fog light inserts that pop out? Otherwise, you can drill out all the holes and solid areas in the grill like I did. It seems to have worked.

What oil cooler do you use?

Yep, the 2013 foglight inserts pop out. I also Dremel-ed out all the closed holes in the upper and lower grill...Ford's snow ingestion rule is really dumb on a high performance car like the Boss. Anyway, this really increases the open grill area and should help a lot with total air flow.

Love to run COTA sometime...definitely a "bucket list" track.

TMO Supporting Vendors