The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I Replaced Hood Prop Rod with Redline Hood Quicklift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Someone posted about Black Friday deal on Redline Hood Struts. I decided to get them.

Great, low cost addition. I opted for the Quicklift Plus in standard black, which looks good with PW. $69.00 includes shipping.

First of all, the look is much, much better without cheap Prod Rod.
Cleans up the engine compartment. Now I need to get the Sound Tube Delete from Cool Tech.

Install time? I have little mechanical aptitude. I watched the YouTube instructions from CJ's. The mechanics here can do it in 10-15 minutes. Took me 30; but I'm happy to "get her done!" The Redline parts are really well made and simple to install.

Hood operation is really nice now. If I can do it, anybody can. Definitely worth the $$$.

MLM

Mike
VTBoss302 said:
MLM said:
I must be an outlier but I think the old school prop rod is cool.
[/quote

I felt the same way until a gust of wind almost closed the hood on top of me.

Yeah, I forgot that happened to me too about a year ago.

MLM said:
I must be an outlier but I think the old school prop rod is cool.
I think you are. ;) I have the MRT versions and don't miss the rod for a second.

Mine are due in on friday. The prop rod goes in a box with all the other stuff from the Boss thats cheesy.

Someone posted about Black Friday deal on Redline Hood Struts. I decided to get them.

Great, low cost addition. I opted for the Quicklift Plus in standard black, which looks good with PW. $69.00 includes shipping.

First of all, the look is much, much better without cheap Prod Rod.
Cleans up the engine compartment. Now I need to get the Sound Tube Delete from Cool Tech.

Install time? I have little mechanical aptitude. I watched the YouTube instructions from CJ's. The mechanics here can do it in 10-15 minutes. Took me 30; but I'm happy to "get her done!" The Redline parts are really well made and simple to install.

Hood operation is really nice now. If I can do it, anybody can. Definitely worth the $$$.

Just did the same thing myself. I like the way the Redline prop rods use the existing hole in the hood. Hood opens and closes very smoothly.

Had a problem with a prop rod on an old '66 Bronco I had when I lived down in Corpus Christi TX. Light fiberglass hood got smashed against the windshield by a gust of wind. Put a nice crack on the hood.

Check to make sure its not hitting the Bolt that mounts the Soundtube... Mine was, so I had to make a slight modification...

Basically I removed the bolt that hold the soundtube to the fender, removed the thick rubber piece on the bottom of that, cut some mousepad to the same shape and size, and moved the bolt to the forward hole instead of the rear hole, now it it doesn't hit at all...

Just something to be aware of...

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
Got my redline struts Monday.Took me more time to read through the instructions than to do the simple install. Probably about 30 minutes total time spent. Nice little addition.They work great.

JLT sells the Redline struts custom painted to match the 12/13 colors. Cylinder & mount bracket are painted. Costs an extra $35.00

I've got the mrt's also. easy install. the only worry I had at first was routing the washer tube so it didn't pinch, but that lasted about 5min.

Installed my Redline hood struts today. Incredibly easy to install!!!!...Bolt down 4 install points.. snap on the struts & you're done. Took me less than 10 mins taking my time. They forgot to include instructions with mine but there's a you tube video on line that takes any guess work out of the install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eINjeVrzTvU

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I put plastic washers under the hardware to not scratch the paint on the hood & fenders. Great time to do the sound tube delete while you are at it. Peel off the vendor name from the pistons, clean up the residue with a little goo-gone, and it looks OEM. Didn't feel the need to for the other brand design that has a big bracket, just don't think it's necessary.

underHood.jpg

Ace72Ace;

I took you advice, ordered the Sound Tube Delete from Cooltech.

Installed tonight for Christmas Eve.

Is it me? or is it really quieter in the cabin? I took it out for a short test drive and was amazed how much better my car sounded. I can hear the exhausts way better and the cabin was just a great deal better.

Me or placebo effect?

Boss949 said:
Ace72Ace;

I took you advice, ordered the Sound Tube Delete from Cooltech.

Installed tonight for Christmas Eve.

Is it me? or is it really quieter in the cabin? I took it out for a short test drive and was amazed how much better my car sounded. I can hear the exhausts way better and the cabin was just a great deal better.

Me or placebo effect?

I ordered the Cooltech kit this past w/e and I'm waiting for it to arrive. In the mean time I was curious about the diff' in sound so I disconnected the tube at the firewall only; covered the hole/opening with race tape and my wife and I drove from Orlando to Daytona Bch and we both agreed the car is noticeably quieter inside the cabin but with the 7/8" baffles on the side exhausts the car sounds great. Looking forward to deleting the sound tube soon!

privera302 said:
I ordered the Cooltech kit this past w/e and I'm waiting for it to arrive. In the mean time I was curious about the diff' in sound so I disconnected the tube at the firewall only; covered the hole/opening with race tape and my wife and I drove from Orlando to Daytona Bch and we both agreed the car is noticeably quieter inside the cabin but with the 7/8" baffles on the side exhausts the car sounds great. Looking forward to deleting the sound tube soon!

Thanks for info. We are originally from Orlando. My mother lives in Ponce Inlet. Daughter works at Sun State Ford, where I purchased the Boss.

I think the Sound Tube Delete is a great mod, you will really enjoy it. 5 min install.

Thanks for the info. We have rain/snow on the way to DFW, so it will be a few days before I can enjoy it.

TMO Supporting Vendors