The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I see some of you guys at the Rolex 24.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Good day for boss fans yesterday (though I was secretly rooting for Jade Buford in the Aston car)

I see quite a few boss cars over here and at least one yellow blaze car with a particular black 302S hood.

Ill post plenty of pictures in this thread as I get a chance, hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy today's race

Sesshomurai

Very jealous. I plan on watching the entire event from my couch.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Central Florida
It was a great race- those Aston Martins did pretty good- but the Boss had the best driver/car yesterday-
Plus Chamber of Commerce weather this year- Rolex 24 should be good.Headed out shortly for the race.

Rolex%2B24%2B-CTS%2B2013.jpg

I think Scott, 2012YellowBoss, is there. Not sure if he drove his Boss there though. In for pics.

I did not know other site members were there, would have been nice to meet everybody. Spent the day with Dan (berol) from here and the black LS in the lot near my Boss belonged to Jose (bigman18) ran into him in the paddock later in the day. I did talk with a few other Boss owners.

It was a great race, Billy Johnson is the real deal. Even with the 55mm restriction and 7500 rev limit he pulled off the win. The top 6 or so car really dominated the race all day long but in the end Billy held them off. We spent the first half of the race in the stands at turn one (infield). This was a killer spot to watch the race but this year they put up some three story monstrosity VIP structure right in the middle of turn one blocking the view of the middle of the turn and most of the infield.

We were still able to see the cars coming off the NASCAR track into the turn, it is quite exciting to see everybody trying to out-brake others and sometimes cars end up three wide in the turn. Normally there are not too many incidents there but we caught two, first on a re-start Nick Longhi got hit in the back and turned around on a restart. Second was right in front of us (25-30 feet) at full speed entering the corner, we both happen to be looking right at the cars when it happened. One car turned down and clipped the rear quarter of the other. I don't even remember what cars were involved, one was a Porsche I think. Dan described it the best when he said the sound was not what he expected, it was a disgusting sound. Very true, I think part of the sound besides tires squealing was one of the motors at rev limiter and as one passed sideways in front of us you could hear a loud pop-pop-pop as he took out the cones. Amazing how loud a little cone can be getting hit at that speed.

We spent the latter half of the race by the horse shoe turn in the infield. This is another great place to watch Daytona. You get to see the guys pushing the limit of the cars here and great side by side stuff. It's a trip to see some of them drifting around that turn, Dean did this every time in the x-LS Boss. He is another incredible driver seeing him go around that right turn with the wheels turned to the left and the back end sliding around makes me understand how much there is to learn. Getting to that point is like standing at the bottom of Death Valley and looking at the peak of Mount Everest.

I did not take many pictures, here are a few. I mainly took pictures of the 78 Racers edge Boss. There is one shot of Big Vito's old car.

CIMG3645.jpg
CIMG3649.jpg
CIMG3652.jpg
CIMG3634.jpg
CIMG3644.jpg
CIMG3642.jpg
CIMG3624-1.jpg
CIMG3638-1.jpg
CIMG3639-1.jpg
CIMG3640-1.jpg

LindsayEOD said:
Does anyone know what the brake difference is for this year? Cool video Rick. Thanks for posting.

First I have heard of it but I did see some different rear setup's on the cars, the 59 even had drilled rears. I am not sure if they were larger then the factory size discs. It did not occur to me at the time but now if I remember correctly the rears last year had to have factory caliper and factory size discs, correct me if I am wrong about that. As far as front changes I did not notice anything different.

Did you guys catch the part about the new tire compound, the Hoosier guy told me about this at Daytona a few months ago. Now at least I know why my times were 12 seconds off the R times - it's all the old compound tires fault I am still using ::)

Wow, drilled rears? I wouldn't have guessed that. I may try and hit up the July race in Indy this year. I will do my best to ask around, unless it's been answered by then.
That was cool info that the new compound improved their time by a second.

Sesshomurai

I haven't seen a single mustang on the TV coverage of the race....where are they?

LindsayEOD said:
Wow, drilled rears? I wouldn't have guessed that. I may try and hit up the July race in Indy this year. I will do my best to ask around, unless it's been answered by then.
That was cool info that the new compound improved their time by a second.
PF's big brake kit upgrade. Drilled. Bought mine from Dean at Rehagen. Big difference!

jdasch1 said:
PF's big brake kit upgrade. Drilled. Bought mine from Dean at Rehagen. Big difference!

Good to know.

Maybe a tough questions to answer but besides stopping faster (I assume that) how are they different from the stock rear brakes? Better pedal feel (easier-smoother), less brake dive, better control of the car under hard braking (less sway)? Do you think the rears are picking up more of the load, in other words taking some load off the front or is the front brake the some and the rears grip better?

jdasch1 said:
Thanks Jdasch. I looked on their site and couldn't find it. Is it something they offer but dont advertise or is it something that Dean just hooked you up with?

Two big differences from last year:

New Brembo 15" front kit with 13.8" rear with stock caliper.

Bosch ABS is allowed with this kit only.

Most teams ran Daytona with last years set up as the rule changes came out very late this year.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Now you know why the Shelby had 15" brakes up front, production homologated so Mark and the boys can play!!!!!! Also I guess drilled rotors aren't just for posers after all, I still am going to switch to solid/slot only fronts, Pete is hooking me up with DBA replacements, we should all try and support his fledgling business as he is a great guy and always willing to help at the track. Kudos to Ford Motor Company, Ford Racing and all the racers that fly the Blue Oval. Glad Jack and Billy won, wish Speed would air the Conti Challenge live or at least same day so I don't know who wins but I watch them anyway. Gonna settle down and watch the first 8 hrs of the big race on the DVR, go out and finish my strut/swaybar install and the come back and watch the end later.
Steve

mwilson7 said:
Two big differences from last year:

New Brembo 15" front kit with 13.8" rear with stock caliper.

Bosch ABS is allowed with this kit only.

Most teams ran Daytona with last years set up as the rule changes came out very late this year.
Thank Mark for the clarification.

Depending on who your service provider is you can watch the Conti races live on www.speed2.com . You log in using your login info that you get with your service provider. Unfortunately Comcast isn't on the list but Dish network is! huge bonus is that you have no commercials and the commentary is quite humorous to say the least.......

TMO Supporting Vendors